Gallbladder

I had an ultrasound on my gallbladder today. My gallbladder feels like a rock ๐Ÿ˜”. Everything I eat hurts my stomach at this point. Any ideas on food that won't bother my stomach so much? The doctor has me on a low carb low fat diet.
*Feel free to add me as a friend*

Replies

• DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    I think you should keep a list of foods that bother you and go from there. My doctor gave me a list of foods to avoid when I was having gallbladder issues, but it was just general guidelines. Some of the foods on the list didn't bother me and some foods not on the list did bother me. I made mental notes on what to avoid and what was okay. For me, eating low fat was definitely helpful! I ate a ton of high fat foods in large quantities. When I completely stopped eating those foods and switched to low fat meats with whole grains, fruits, and veggies for a while, my pain stopped. After a while, I gradually introduced higher fat foods but kept it under control. Also, I always ate super fast and didn't chew as much as I should have. So, I deliberately ate much slower and found that to be helpful. Ask your doctor what he/she recommends if you can't find a pattern in what triggers your pain. Good luck!
  • rgismondi08
    rgismondi08 Posts: 1 Member
    Depending on what they find is wrong, weather it is stones or just a build up of bile. But for now stay away from anything sour like lemon juice and fatty foods that will get your bile pumping which will cause some discomfort. Try taking a digestive enzymes, I found them to help the most with my gallbladder issues.
  • rsergeant79
    rsergeant79 Posts: 45 Member
    I had my gallbladder out a few years back - I found eating eggs used to aggregate it
  • PHOTOCHAP
    PHOTOCHAP Posts: 104 Member
    Had mine removed in April this year after months of 3 a.m.'s hugging the floor. When I was eventually told (doctor "forgot" to tell me for 3 months :neutral: ) I dropped high fat stuff and went for lean meats, chicken, lean turkey mince etc and that seemed to help immensely. I haven't had fries, potatoes or cakes since September last year and to be fair I don't miss 'em much. Now that I'm "fixed" I'm on a healthy diet and getting fitter so I know that diet will help you. There's lot of alternative stuff out there so it can be done. Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited September 2018
    I had an ultrasound on my gallbladder today. My gallbladder feels like a rock ๐Ÿ˜”. Everything I eat hurts my stomach at this point. Any ideas on food that won't bother my stomach so much? The doctor has me on a low carb low fat diet.
    *Feel free to add me as a friend*

Low carb low fat...so high lean protein? Did you get a sheet or link from your doctor you can post here? Did you get maximums of carbs and fat?

Are you scheduled to have your gallbladder out? When is that?
  • Naptownbabi
    Naptownbabi Posts: 256 Member
    Best decision of my life was to get it removed. I would start to have attacks with just high fatty foods, but then it would get worse with what ever I ate even low fat/no fat.
  • CNG24
    CNG24 Posts: 432 Member
    Stay clear from fried and fatty foods. Also things with higher acidity bothered mine. I got mine removed as it was non functional. Happy I did!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Significant weight loss can trigger gall bladder issues. Sounds like you are on it. If you have it removed you may or may not have enough liver-generated bile to deal with dietary fat. If not you will need to adjust to accomodate the missing part of your GI system. My sister and mother both had theirs removed, they seem to live normal lives.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Did your scans show anything? I had ultrasounds and a HIDA scan and nothing was grossly abnormal (a small polyp, low-ish function, but not enough to warrant removal), so my GI recommended low fat diet.

Another GI friend suggested I cut out all the diet drinks (diet Snapple, flavors water with artificial sweeteners) I was downing.

I cut out the sweeteners and moderated my fat intake (I eat full fat dairy, but not much of it, eggs, and avocado, but no meat). My symptoms cleared up (other than the occasional issue after a holiday weekend of too much fatty stuff) and Iโ€™ve been comfortable for about 3 years.

• CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    the 3 things I know get mine going are eggs, nuts, and cauliflower.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited September 2018
    Gall bladder? Well.... hate to say it.. low fat... remember the gall bladder produces bile salts that help break down fat. When the little booger gets all messed up.... Well no way for the bile salts to make their way to their final destination. I suggest talking to your gastro personally, but if asking for free advice on a forum is what you are doing, there is mine. Best of luck.