Can someone help me in understanding this BMI test i have done?

Options
I had recently taken a BMI test not sure whether the results are good or bad how do i know it? What should i look for? I have attached the results alongirwf1vcpuhr7.jpg
with this.

Replies

• Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    A BMI of 25-29.9 puts you in the overweight category. Yours is 26.4 so you're classed as overweight, but maybe not by much. If you lose some more weight and get down to a BMI of 24.9, you will be in the category of healthy. Under 18.5 is classed as underweight.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    There is a ton of information on there! Fat%, BMR, muscle mass, etc... Do you need help with all of it or just the BMI portion? I'm no expert, but someone on here certainly can help you.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    You had a Body Composition Analysis done which is lots more information than just a BMI. Did they not explain any of this to you when you stepped barefoot I assume on the special scale. I have these done once a month. Tons of great helpful info is right here. Also you can research on the Internet.

Example it shows your BMR daily, so you know what your calorie amount is daily if you were not trying to lose weight.

Shows bone mass weight, body fat weight and percentage. Also shows desireable range, shows degree of obesity, shows desireable ranges. Has an indicator for viseral fat and percentage of where one currently is and where one should aim to be.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You are in better shape than I am.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    I have no idea where Tanita or the gym came up with the ideal weight recommendation smack dab at BMI 22.

Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 70.4 kgs
    Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 69.9 kgs
    Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 72.3 kgs
    Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 74.1 kgs

And all of the above is your basic kitty litter type recommendation based only on your height and gender with nothing else taken into consider or known about you.

Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 58.0 kgs - 78.3 kgs

So, you're slightly overweight.

Increase your activity and exercise by about 250 Cal and decrease your Caloric intake by about 250 Cal or some other combination that yields the same total deficit and before you know it you will be in the normal weight range.

The rest will fall in line too as you seem to be quite close to the population average, i.e. not an obvious outlier.

What Tanita is calling muscle mass... isn't.
    It is everything that is not fat and not bone.
    As such it varies a lot from day to day based on your water balance.

Your best bet is to monitor your weight using a trending weight application and the mark 1 eyeball!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Example it shows your BMR daily, so you know what your calorie amount is daily if you were not trying to lose weight.

Only if you're lying in bed in a coma all day, being fed through a tube.

BMR is not the same as TDEE. TDEE is your maintenance number.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Aneeshn630 wrote: »
    I had recently taken a BMI test not sure whether the results are good or bad how do i know it? What should i look for? I have attached the results alongirwf1vcpuhr7.jpg
    with this.
    I don't understand all of it myself, but I may be able to help some:
    You're a 28-yo man 177 cm tall, and you were wearing clothes estimated to weigh half a kilogram. You probably already knew that part.

Your weight is 82.7 kg.

Fat %: The proportion of your body that is fat. This test estimates that your body Fat % = 24.2. Down below, under "Desirable Range," it says "11.0 to 21.9%," so you're a little above that at 24.2%.

Fat Mass: Fat Mass is just how much your estimated body fat weighs, in this case 20.0 kg. Under that same "Desirable Range" heading below, it says the best range for your Fat Mass would be 7.7 to 17.6 kg. This is the same information as your Fat %, they've just done the math of working out each percentage of your weight in kilograms.

(Don't be confused by "weight" and "mass" - as long as you're not out in space somewhere or on another planet, they're effectively the same thing.)

FFM: Probably an abbreviation for "Fat Free Mass." Your fat free mass is everything in your body that isn't fat; or your total mass/weight (82.7 kg) minus your Fat Mass (20.0 kg), which equals 62.7 kg.

Muscle Mass: An estimate of how much just all the muscles in your body weigh, in this case 59.5 kg. (Although it looks like they've calculated this by subtracting your Fat Mass and Bone Mass from your total body weight/mass: 82.7 - (20.0 + 3.2) = 59.5. This ignores the weight of your brain, internal organs, skin, nerves, etc.)

TBW: This is probably your Total Body Water, or how much all the water in your body weighs, estimated at 43.3 kg.

TBW %: This is probably just your Total Body Water expressed as a percentage of your weight, which works out to 52.2%. TBW % is usually around 60% in adult men of normal weight, and it decreases with increasing obesity.

Bone Mass: This estimates how much your bones weigh: 3.2 kg. (I'm not sure how useful this information is.)

BMR: Your BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate, or how much energy your body uses just to run itself (breathing, digesting food, etc.). Here it's given both in kilojoules (7540 kJ) and kilocalories (1802 kcal). You don't need to worry about the kilojoules: they're just a different unit of measurement - it's like how 82.7 kg is the same weight as 182 pounds or 13 stone.

The kilocalories is important, because "kilocalories" is different expression for the "Calories" in food, as in "1 teaspoon of sugar has 15 Calories." (It's confusing, I know.) But knowing that your BMR is about 1802 Calories per day will help you estimate how many Calories you need to eat to stay heathy, and how many you can cut in order to lose weight.

(I don't know what is meant by Metabolic Age or Visceral Fat Rating.)

BMI: BMI is Body Mass Index, which uses your height to calculate a rough indicator of how healthy your weight is. A BMI of 18.5 to 25 is considered healthy, your BMI of 26 falls just above that in the "overweight" range.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What testing method was used? Hydro tank, dexa scan, BIA or ....?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

This^

There is no need to take a "test" to determine your BMI. It is a simple and arguably faulty calculation based on weight and height.

Just Google "BMI calculator"to find one.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

This^

There is no need to take a "test" to determine your BMI. It is a simple and arguably faulty calculation based on weight and height.

Just Google "BMI calculator"to find one.

Tanita Scale based on the ticker. Presumably a professional model of same. Thus BIA.
  • Aneeshn630
    Aneeshn630 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    There is a ton of information on there! Fat%, BMR, muscle mass, etc... Do you need help with all of it or just the BMI portion? I'm no expert, but someone on here certainly can help you.

As you said there is a ton, not sure what I should look for that is all.
  • Aneeshn630
    Options
    You had a Body Composition Analysis done which is lots more information than just a BMI. Did they not explain any of this to you when you stepped barefoot I assume on the special scale. I have these done once a month. Tons of great helpful info is right here. Also you can research on the Internet.

Shows bone mass weight, body fat weight and percentage. Also shows desireable range, shows degree of obesity, shows desireable ranges. Has an indicator for viseral fat and percentage of where one currently is and where one should aim to be.

Yeah there is some indication about the viscal fat and all but not sure how to read it for eg, viscal fat in the chart says between 10 and 15 range so is it good or bad? Like that a lot of confusion is there.
  • Aneeshn630
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You are in better shape than I am.

:D well I was overweight initially but took it down considerably, just done this to understand what should be my ideal weight and am I healthy or not
  • Aneeshn630
    edited September 2018
    Options

Not sure what all those are, I had stepped on a scale with metal base and they took a print out.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    https://tanita.eu/tanita-academy/understanding-your-measurements

I would take the results as a comparison guideline for future measurements, but not put too much stock into any individual number.