MFP vs facebook

Options
I am bored and thought I would post a topic to entertain myself :bigsmile: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile:

Tell us all why you like MFP more or less than facebook and what makes it more or less addicting? :ohwell:

I :heart: MFP! I am not exactly sure why but it makes me very excited to see someone has commented on my status, exercise post or whatever... And people are always posting. I love the encouragement and friendships I'm making on MFP!!

Replies

• IggyL
    IggyL Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I like MFP more than facebook. Only on MFP can I get the support and encouragement I need in this journey for a healthier lifestyle. We are like-minded and striving for similar goals.

MFP is the BEST!!!!
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Hmm... where did you get the idea for this topic? :laugh:

I like them both. I can't get to facebook at work, so I became addicted to this. This site in general is so much more positive than some of the FB friends that I have so I prefer this. I get reminded that I have goals and I get motivated!

Now, if only they made the forums and your newsfeed able to be viewed on mobile app.

Oh who am I kidding, that would just get me into more trouble with distractions !!!! :smooched:
  • beamishcas
    beamishcas Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I like MFP more than facebook. Only on MFP can I get the support and encouragement I need in this journey for a healthier lifestyle. We are like-minded and striving for similar goals.

MFP is the BEST!!!!

I TOTALLY AGREE !!!!
  • soknurdy
    soknurdy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It's positive here, you don't really know anyone.. and it's really just all envy on facebook.
  • bearsfan2334
    Options
    Hmm... where did you get the idea for this topic? :laugh:

Bahahaha :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: from our conversation!!!! hahahahaha. :happy:
  • Barbaramax
    Barbaramax Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i'm spending more time on MFP now and loving it........... fb lot of family and friends so i have to do both.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    MFP is for ME --- its my personal accountability, support and friend site....

Facebook is for friends and family and goofy pictures :) Most of the world dosn't give a crap what I eat or exercised every day....

FB blocked at work--- MFP not --- so guess what I do more all day? LOL
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I like MFP because of the healthy minded people on here and most of them I have things in common with.

Facebook - I have family on there. I can't ***** or whine or complain or post the pictures I post on here. My MIL gets pissed (and calls me vulgar names to my husband, not to my face) at me everytime I put a "full body" picture up so I don't even bother logging on anymore.

MFP wins.
  • MakeItHappenAnt
    Options
    personally, the energy here is positive, encouraging & inspiring. i like facebook, but some people use it inappropriately. here, we're all on a mission and are pushin' each other to meet our respective goals. much success 2 u in achieving your fitness goals & excellent topic, btw!
  • TrishaLeighNelson
    TrishaLeighNelson Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I like MFP because everyone on here is supportive and give words of encouragment! If you need advice, a stranger is willing to give it to you :)
    I like FB because it has all of my friends I know. I also like that there is a "like" button. I wish MFP had one
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    im addicted to both equally! lol
  • vtgirl77
    vtgirl77 Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm a FB addict and just joined this site, but I like it so far. I just wish there was a chat feature so I could talk to my new friends in that manner :)
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    MFP is a happier place, we get down, but their is always 10 people to cheer us up. I like the FB games, but why get addicted to them, when I should be exercising.
  • mightymom2
    mightymom2 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    wait I can only pick just one :grumble:

seriously though, on MFP we are all here for the same reason, which is to get off our arses, & change our lifestyles, where as facebook you pretty much know who everyone is, & not all of them share in the goal of weightloss
  • bearsfan2334
    Options
    I'm a FB addict and just joined this site, but I like it so far. I just wish there was a chat feature so I could talk to my new friends in that manner :)

OMG CHAT would make my life complete and my work days worthless, haha.
  • nicxox
    nicxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I like them both equally, I love coming on here to get support and chat about weightloss, so I don't have to bore all my real friends on Facebook lol. I have Twitter for the same reason (to talk about my obsession with a band called McFly!)
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Facebook - fun to keep up with pics from friends who don't live near me or old friends I went to school with. I love to share pics of my kids and vacations.

MFP - love the support from others dealing with the same issues. like starting over. no one knows each others past and don't judge based on previous experiences (aka high school).

I've tried to get more friends/facebook friends to join MFP but don't like the idea of counting. Want to lose weight and claim they don't know how. However won't try it even for a week. No point in nagging if they want to change their habits they will on their own time.
  • vtgirl77
    vtgirl77 Posts: 69
    Options

OMG CHAT would make my life complete and my work days worthless, haha.

LMAO!
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    MFP posts are more purposeful. The community feels more real to me, even though I know my FB friends far better. (I think FB is just the place where people post the messages they would normally spam their friends with, lol.) FB is addicting because you want to see what your friends thought about your posts. It's egocentric - totally unhealthy and a time-waster.

MFP is MUCH EASIER to use, including navigation. The ads are not so annoying. You don't feel controlled by a computer program. LOL. You are not being spammed with requests to do all sorts of things. Best of all, MFP does not lie to you and make your innocent friends into jerks, e.g., see what so & so has said about you, click here. (Grrrr!) MFP is much more respectful of you as a human being. And, it helps you to become a healthier one, too.
  • kls79
    kls79 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use both. I have a "fan page" on Facebook and a wonderful support team there. This is aside from my personal FB account. We do weekly challenges, share tips, trade recipies. It has helped me so much along with MFP. If you feel that some of the peolple on Facebook could careless. Check out some of these VERY inspiring pages. This is just for starters. I have made so many friends thru these pages. These men and women helped me get my mojo back and really encouraged me to keep going. A LOT of times my post on MFP go unanswered. NOW DON'T GET ME WRONG! I have been using the MFP App off and on for awhile and I love and appreciate ALL of the support I get here too.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/teamdavidinspires
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/SunshinesJourney
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sara-Use-it-2-lose-it/133231923424414
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/2011-The-year-of-fit-healthy-and-slim/195575247125010
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Journey2onederland/101089996647680