Waiting on Hurricane how you going to handle your calories counts

Options
Ckezar1
Ckezar1 Posts: 9 Member
I have only been counting calories for about 8 days and with the up coming hurricane I want to know if there is anything anyone else has down during power outages to try to stay within calories each day I have been told in the past it has taken 2 weeks to come back up. Also how to keep from being tempted to eat junk food. Thanks

Replies

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Keep safe is most important thing. If you have healthy snack type foods, nuts, pretzels, even veges, in coolers with ice last pretty well. Last year IRMA visited Florida and we had no electric for 4 days. But with Florence it could be a whole other event depending where you are. But be safe and that has to be your number one concern. And if you cannot get on, you can consider writing food down if you have pen and paper.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,774 Member
    Options
    Timing sucks. Writing things down is an option. Safety comes first. Resuming normal activities when things are normal makes sense.

I suppose if you are a planner, you COULD pre-plan and pre-log or your meals. But really, you don't have a good idea as to how active or inactive you will be.

One thing that might prove useful as a training exercise is to try and differentiate in your mind and establish the sensation of when you're eating because you're hungry, or you're eating because you're bored, or because of reasons that do not have anything to do with hunger.

This will help you out both during and after the hurricane!

Again: stay safe and take care of yourself and your family.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I mean, do the best you can, but in my experience, being trapped at home with my family for days/weeks at a time, it's about impossible to stay on top of healthy eating. Convenience foods don't tend to be low-calorie.

During/after Harvey, I just drank a lot. Oh, I did get a lot of exercise carrying things up the stairs.
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I always end up eating 2 rows of Oreos and 1 party bag of Doritos at the start of hurricanes
  • sugom2
    sugom2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    During hurricane irma, we made a big batch of beef stroganoff---I ate WAY TO much of that weighting on the dang storm. I did get all my ironing finished LOL
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I usually use hurricane (or other bad weather) time for organizing or catching up on reading or doing big puzzles or playing board games. It is easy to snack when stuck in the house, so keep your hands busy...if you knit or embroider or whatever, do it! Keep food out of those hands by keeping your hands busy with other things that are not compatible with food.