measuring a serving of peanut butter

Options
ecjim
ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
I like peanut butter - crunchy - natural - with salt - It says on the jar 2 Tbsp =a serving = 190 cals + some protein. OK a Tbsp is a Tablespoon - is that the smaller spoon ? or the bigger one ? When loading the peanut butter on the spoon , would that be a level spoon full, a slightly heaping spoonful , or all the peanut butter I can possibly load on to the spoon with out it falling on the floor? I tend to go with option #3 because I do like peanut butter. So would that count as my 2 Tbsp?

Replies

• vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Get a scale...measuring spoons or just using ordinary spoons as measures are usually pretty inaccurate...I sure had my eyes opened with protein powder/pb powder and really, everything!

28 grams = 2 tablespoons
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The container has a gram-value of the tablespoon. 2 Tbsp is 30 grams. Use a kitchen scale. Weigh your naked bread. Spread your peanut butter on it. Weigh your sandwich. The difference between the naked bread and the sandwich is the peanut butter. Log it.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    Get a scale...measuring spoons or just using ordinary spoons as measures are usually pretty inaccurate...I sure had my eyes opened with protein powder/pb powder and really, everything!

28 grams = 2 tablespoons

So much this.
    Put the jar on the scale without the lid, tare (zero) the scale, then scoop out -30g.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Measuring spoons are specific sizes and are labeled. Tbsp have 3 times more volume than tsp. If you used a measuring spoon, the contents would need to be leveled rather than heaping.

The best way to determine how much you get is to use a food scale. Weighing is much more accurate and there's less to clean.

Put the jar on the scale, tare the scale (zero it out), remove the amount of peanut butter that you want, and then put the jar back on the scale. The negative number will be how many grams you removed.

^^ that.

/thread
  • cassiech1986
    cassiech1986 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Get a scale
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Weigh it in grams - and be prepared for one of the biggest disappointments in your life when you discover what a "serving" of peanut butter actually is. :cry:

You are right - It's depressing to see the size of a serving - mine are larger
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Because it hasn't been posted yet.
    https://youtu.be/bnnpUYmr0OM

There are a lot of videos on youtube and elsewhere showing the difference between scale weight and measuring weights.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I refuse to get a scale/weigh my food. I use a tbsp measuring spoon and level it off with a knife.

That's a good way to accidentally eat way more peanut butter -- or any other calorie dense food -- than you think you're eating.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Scoop peanut butter into a container on a food scale. Measure it. Cry.