How to get bigger hips.

Options
As you can see from the photo that I posted, my hips are indented, which makes my waist seem even bigger. I have a lumpy form and I can't stand it anymore. I've currently lost 15 pounds and I have lost more than 60 pounds before but gained it back, now I'm trying to lose it again. I clearly have an apple shaped body, which sucks, but there has to be a way to get rid of my hips dips and make my hips and waist more balanced. Can anyone help me, please?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For the most part body shape will be determined by genetics and how you carry weight. However, it is possible to modify by adding muscle to give more of an hourglass shape, adding glutes, quads and lats (which is what I have done). While there isn't too much you can do to add hips significantly, building the gluteus medius can help a bit. Keep in mind this can take a lot of time and dedication. If you are overweight, for now, eat in a deficit and lift (Another vote for Strong Curves, it is a fantastic program. ). Once you get closer to goal you can add muscle with recomp or bulk cycles.

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    You have those cute violin hips! Like the others said, your build is going to be genetic. I know that even if a million people tell you how cute they are, if it's something that bothers you, its gonna bother you. Still, Sardelsa makes really good points and if I were you I would heed her advice.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why I got two woos for my answer. Perhaps it's because I didn't answer the question. She asked about getting bigger hips, I instead focused on the fat above it. You can't get bigger hips, only reshape a bit with strength exercises. Your hips will look bigger when the fat pad above them is gone. And yoga and pilates, in my experience, can help those muscles/tendons/ligaments over the bone, to tighten up for a slimmer look. And yes I've done leg lifts, lying on the floor, later with 1-2 lb ankle weights, carefully focusing on lifting my leg from that area. It's part of your core but can be a little awkward to target.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Your shape is your shape, I lost some of the squareness in my butt and hips, but I'm straight waisted at all weights.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Have a baby.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Hip dip strikes again. Can't really change it any more than you can change the length of your arms or the size of your skull. If you slim down, the appearance of bulk will be diminished but you will likely always have that little indent that is driving you nuts. I have it too so I feel your pain.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Oh and I wanted to add - you know how in fashion and clothing shots, models are often turned slightly at an angle to the character, have their hands on their hips, or have hands casually hanging around there pretending to be in a pocket or something - it's to pretend that women should all have these perfect, smoothly bowed hip shapes. The cartoon hourglass isn't that common. The Instagram contortion poses are because practically nobody has that shape naturally.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    hip dips are a normal body structure. You can't get rid of those. There is nothing wrong with them.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Have a baby.
    That will definitely widen the hips, but it may flatten the butt.