My sides hurt

Shweedog
Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
edited October 1 in Fitness and Exercise
When I run I get a pain in one or both of my sides within 2 minutes and I have to walk. This has been the case for as long as I can remember. So needless to say- I do not run. But i want to. I have asked my doctors and they say it is common. Advice I have been given is to increase potassium. Then someone told me to decrease it. What do I need to do to be able to run? Is it a deficiency thing? Do I need to strengthen my...sides? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• gritgirl
    gritgirl Posts: 95 Member
    sounds like not much you can do. try race walking instead. better on the knees and just as effective.
  • BeautyCrys
    BeautyCrys Posts: 209 Member
    Are you eating and than going for you're walk/run? That's a big no no...(I found this out the hard way) You should always wait about 2-3 hours to exercise after you have eaten.
  • sezp
    sezp Posts: 69
    How's your breathing? I used to get the same (and still do, but now only after eating a little while before a run) and then I googled some breathing techniques and have more or less eliminated the problem. Make sure you're breathing from your belly rather than your chest, I swear it solved my problem. Hope you solve it!
  • corymomma
    corymomma Posts: 405 Member
    I agree not much you can do but try walking...so if you want to run just walk faster, but not quite run...it is easier on the joints :smile:
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Side stitches are pretty common with running. A lot of it can be blamed on breathing in many cases. When running make sure you are taking in and blowing out deep breaths, shallow breathing causes side aches. When you get a side stitch a good way to fight through it is to "blow out the candles" for a few seconds - big breaths out as if blowing out candles on a cake. Also during a side ache attack we tend to hunch over and gasp for air, this doesn't help. What you need to do is stretch your back out straight and tall while running and deep breaths, it will get better with this.

Also make sure you are staying hydrated. Drink a good 2 cups of water before running.

Some people, such as myself, don't run well or feel well while running if they have just recently eaten something. I don't eat anything within an hour of starting a run, this helps me feel better when running.
  • mrsher2
    mrsher2 Posts: 14 Member
    I agree with the above posters- watch your eating before running, and work on breathing from your belly. I get side stitches a lot when I run (or I used to get them a lot), and it's usually due to eating too soon before I run, eating too much (or the greasy stuff) before I run, even 4-5 hours beforehand. Finally, I'd say don't drink sodas before you're running, as in, anytime during that day. If I am ever going to run in the afternoon or evening, I have found that not drinking my Diet Cokes really help me out. Good luck!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    I do not eat before running (attempting to run). I am going to try the belly breathing technique. I know diaphragmatic breathing is recommended to do all of the time, as opposed to chest breathing, but I am definitely going to concentrate on it the next time I try to run! Thanks for the tip!
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    I was the same way. My trainer told me breathe deeply in my nose, out my mouth. Its gets better and better and better with time. also when it does happen i slow to a walk and stretch my arms up till it goes away, then return to running.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    I found this online.
    The pain you feel is due to an accumulation of lactic acid. During power-intensive exercises such as sprinting, when the rate of demand for energy is high, lactate is produced faster than the ability of the tissues to remove it and lactate concentration begins to rise.
    First and foremost, stay well-hydrated at all times. This includes before, during, and after training sessions as well as throughout day-to-day activities. During the training sessions and directly afterward, try to consume foods that are easily absorbed and digested. This can include sports replacement drinks. In addition, make sure that you eat soon after each training session -- within the first fifteen minutes if at all possible -- to help replenish your depleted glycogen stores. Your post-exercise snack should include a carbohydrate-protein combination

This too. Hope they help:flowerforyou:
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/natural-medicine/home-remedies/home-remedies-for-side-pain.htm
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    i would always get a stitch in one or the other of my sides when attempting to run, but i've noticed the stronger my core gets, the less it happens.

perhaps start out by alternating run/walk to get your heart rate up, strengthen your endurance, and learn how to breathe through the stitch if it happens. (when you get a stitch in your side, try to keep going (walking/running) and straighten up/lengthen your core, tighten your abs and purposefully/slowly breathe in deep and control your exhale until you have exhaled completely and repeat until the stitch subsides. it's like yoga breathing).
    outside of cardio exercises, definitely focus on core-strengthening exercises that will really shore up your abs and lower back. this will help reduce the stitches you get.
  • Hi,

Sorry you're having pain that isn't good.. When you lightly press on your sides does it hurt? Can you feel if the pain is around your ribcage area or lower? Can you lie on your sides or when you lie down sharp pain comes? These are questions my Dr. asked me and I said yes to all 3. After a chest x-ray I was told I have Costochondritis, chestwall inflammation.No cure and no meds to take just don't over-exert myself in exercise and it may go away. If it hurts don't do that particular exercise. It stinks but I also found out that my full body pain is Fibromyalgia which is like the Costochondritis, no cure tons of aches/pains. I'm 37 and cannot believe this is happening to me either.

Try adding lots of calcium,folic acid,iron to your diet in forms of dark veggies, naked juice products, steamed veggies and lots of water. Collard greens smell bad but are good for you.

Boil collard greens and navy beans 1 can in pot of water until leaves are tender.Boil for 45 min.Add sea salt and diced onions if want. Drink the juice !!!! it is loaded with iron!!! adjust the taste and try to include in your diet if you don't like it experiment with flavor. I hope you don't stop running but remember our bodies change over time whether we want it to or not and it isn't always what you eat. I've been a Flexitarian (semi-vegetarian) for a long time and overall healthy person. Good Luck and I'd love to hear from you and your results.Take Care Chicka37 Recipe is rushed if you want more info let me know,add multivitamins too your diet daily One a Day for Women !!!!!
This discussion has been closed.