good running program/ app?

Options
I personally hate running, but every now and then i decide I want to do it again. I've done about 5 half marathons in the past 6 years and many other shorter runs as well as duathalons and warrior dash and such - but I like them more for the fun of hanging with friends and the post race beer, rather than the actual running.

But thats not the point. I've started to get back into exercising everyday and do jillian michael's 30 day shred as well as a 40 minute walk during lunch each day. Today i threw in a couple spurts of jogging and decided that since its no longer 100+ degrees every day, i should try to run a bit more during my walks.

I know alot of people swear by couch to 5k, but I'd like to try something with bit more distance (i'm toying with running another half in november with a friend who is also on MFP) and i like the idea of something where i can jog for a bit then walk then back to jogging. and ideally it would be free and also talk to me to tell me when to jog/ walk. Any such apps i can download or something you all can suggest that might have at least some of these features? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    If you've already been a runner, there are also programs within the C25K program for bridge to 10k, half, etc....
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Nike+GPS app has some good tools....as well as the Nike Running website (you create a profile, set goals, it keeps track of your runs (from the phone app - it syncs it), etc.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I was going to say if the C25K program isn't long enough for you; do the C210K program - I heard it is wonderful too. Good luck with your marathon
  • butterfly0819
    Options
    If you have an android phone, RunKeeper is a good app.. tracks your route and everything on GPS.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I like the C210K....I use it when I'm not training for a half or any particular distance. I mix it up too. In the beginning I think you run for 30 seconds and walk for 4:30 minutes. If I'm feeling good I may do a slow jog and then pick up speed for the 'run' time. Also, if you are on a treadmill you can play with the incline to make the walks more challenging--I do this often.
  • gforcex4
    gforcex4 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like the Runkeeper app too (have one for iPhone too) & what I like most is that you can create your own interval training where it will cue you at your designated time or distance when to switch from slow/steady/fast. I was doing the C25K but the intervals didn't quite match what I needed. Now I'm trying to increase my pace time vs. distance & the intervals I set up help with that.

If anybody is on Runkeeper feel free to add me to your Street Team too...helps with my motivation to have others! Profile name is twinmamita. :-)
  • e1izab3th2
    e1izab3th2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my 1st half marathon. I joined daily mile to log my workouts (in addition to MFP). I am following this training currently:

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

It was recommend by a couple friends. A family member uses a longer training schedule:

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon.html

I am also doing the 30 Day Shred (today will be day 15). My body is feeling quite sore at the moment!
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper I am a big fan!!
    I too hate running. I try to get in a run once a week b/c I like the cardio benefits.
    I focus on hiking and cycling because they are activities I really enjoy. Consider trying something else this time to see if you would stick with it longer.
  • larose12
    Options
    My sister, my husband and I all use RunKeeper for iphone, we LOVE it!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper app to track distance and time via my droid phone. I love it. I do not use the calorie burned figure from Runkeeper, though, it is horribly inaccurate - I use my HRM for tracking calories.

Bridge to 10k or C210K might be something you are looking for as far as a planning guide. I am not sure whether or not there are apps for these like there is for C25k.
  • kristofferbas
    kristofferbas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone do something they hate? Why not do some other exercising you love instead? I personally love everything about running. I love putting on my running clothes and shoes, I love locking my door and walking down those stairs knowing what's coming, I love every step I take when the running has begun, I love when I get so into it I hear nothing more than myself breathing, and I love coming home again all sweaty and out of breath.

That said, RunKeeper has helped me (together with MFP) to lose over 40 kilograms and it constantly helping me to be a better runner. The interval settings where you can create your own interval exercises is awesome.

Love
    /k