Bathroom scales that are accurate?? (UK)

Options
My scales just aren’t accurate anymore - I can lose a stone by moving them inch by inch along the floor (which is a hard surface). I like to input my weight into happy scale to get a trend.

Are there any scales or there that are accurate? There’s no point weighing if I can’t trust the reading. I was almost toying with going back to the old fashioned dial scale!

Thank you!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    have you tried new batteries?

my scales are just supermarket own brand i think, or maybe wilkos... they weren't expensive.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options

my scales are just supermarket own brand i think, or maybe wilkos... they weren't expensive.

This ^ and check the feet aren't overly dusty, if there is an debris on them that can affect it too.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My £20 glass digital scales from John Lewis are accurate and repeatable.
    I tested them against a calibrated scale in a sports science lab which also showed that £80 BIA scales I also had at the time were out by 2lbs, but consistently out by that amount.

Salter glass digital scales and BIA bodyfat "measuring" device weighs about 1lb too high but consistently. The body analysis part is only good for laughs though.
  • Thirls
    Thirls Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I bought Active Era scales and they are excellent, very easy to set up and very smart design. I got mine from Ebay UK but try Google for the best price.
    https://activeera.com/products/bathroom-scales/body-fat-analyser-scales-black/

My old Omron scales cost 3 times more but were unreliable.
  • mojo4717
    mojo4717 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Salter I’ve found to be the best , I’ve had mine for years, bought a few others sw ww Fitbit aria and the salter £20 scales have always been accurate with gps and SlimmingWorld group scales 👍
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I got an ordinary electronic scale from Argos, and it's pretty much the same as when I went for a check to my GP.
  • PHOTOCHAP
    PHOTOCHAP Posts: 104 Member
    Options

This ^ and check the feet aren't overly dusty, if there is an debris on them that can affect it too.

This ^ and are the feet level (all 4 touching the floor) and are any of the push on "carpet" feet missing or not seated correctly. Just trying to save you some pennies before you're forced to admit they're buggered :wink:
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    We got some weight watchers scales for about £25 from Argos. They’re accurate, but also need a flat, firm surface (which isn’t easy to find in my 100 year old house).
  • Storm985
    Storm985 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I never thought about batteries!

I don’t mind the weight being consistently wrong - I can still follow a trend, but when the weight is all over the place, it’s impossible to know what to believe.

I’ll also check out the suggestions.
  • rsergeant79
    rsergeant79 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have always had Salter ultimate accuracy - brill scales
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    One thing I have done is identify where on the floor I get the most consistent reading and then place the scale there. Then, just before I head out to my primary doctor for an appointment--or to the gym-- where I step on the calibrated balance scale, I weigh myself at home in the same clothing. The two readings are typically within an ounce or two and that's sufficient for me.
  • Storm985
    Storm985 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    One thing I have done is identify where on the floor I get the most consistent reading and then place the scale there. Then, just before I head out to my primary doctor for an appointment--or to the gym-- where I step on the calibrated balance scale, I weigh myself at home in the same clothing. The two readings are typically within an ounce or two and that's sufficient for me.

Excellent idea.

I have batteries. When I install them, I’ll have play around before going out and buying a new one straight away.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I got mine from Lidl, and it speaks four other languages! Once every couple of months I take five readings in different parts of the house, add them together and divide by five to get an average reading. I also get weighed at the GP surgery or dietitian's, which is sometimes more accurate, but my at home average usually comes pretty close.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have one from Argos and it has been accurate, backed up by gym and doctor's scales. Can't remember the name but it comes in different colors.

If you move a digital scale make sure you are lightly tapping it and letting it return to 0.0 before stepping on.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've got the glass Salter analyser scales too (though I never turn on the BF analysis, just use them as normal scales). I only paid £15 for them when they were on offer in my local Morrisons. I've always found them to be accurate and more importantly, consistent. I think it helps that my bathroom floor is tiled, which also makes for consistency.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Ours were just some we bought from Argos about 2.5 years ago. Over time (and after some being battered around) they're consistently about 1kg over "true" weight, but they are consistent so it's not a problem.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I have the salter digital scale. Conveniently, it fits perfectly on the tiles in the bathroom which are nice and flat so the readings are consistent. I think it cost £25 from asda.