Is increasing my calories the right thing to do?

Options
I started calorie counting in April - I was eating 2000 calories and losing 1-2lb a week. I decided to cut down to 1700 for a bit more weight loss - lost a bit more, then stalled. So I cut to 1500 and basically I haven't lost since July.

I lost 15lb between April and July and it seemed to slow down when I cut my calories. My TDEE is 2700 and I am still medically REALLY obese with 6+ stone to lose.

I've spoken to some people who follow RH Fitness and they say I'm not eating enough and my body is in starvation mode.... so should I go back up to 2000 calories? I'm only having 200 calories at breakfast, 200 at lunch.

(Sorry my diary isn't open as I get major food issues when it is - but I do track every single thing).

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm not eating enough and my body is in starvation mode. If you want that to be true, that's really your problem.

You lose weight over time when you're in a real and consistent calorie deficit. If you're willing to eat less, just tighten up your logging.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Well "starvation mode" is never really something I've believed in - which is why I cut my calories. I've tightened up my logging.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Great! If you're really eating 1500 calories, consistently/on average, you'll be losing weight at a steady pace, around 2 pounds per week. Are you expecting a faster loss?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as starvation mode but your body slows down when you undereat. You move less and more slowly. You fidget less. Your metabolism slows down a little. If you are eating less than you burn you will still lose weight, otherwise there would be no such thing as anorexia.

Firstly make sure you are logging as accurately as possible. Use kitchen scales to weigh all solid foods, including condiments and that which is prepackaged. Check that the data is correct by comparing against the nutrition label on the package or the USDA database. Reserve measuring cups and spoons for liquids only. Eat back your exercise calories but only 50%-75% as calories burned are often inflated.

Once you are sure your logging is correct so you have a more accurate idea of how much you are eating/burning up your calories to the 2000 calories that you were given to eat and eat them! You do not need to be losing quicker than 1-2 pounds a week. The slower you go the better your chances of long-term success.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    thank you :) I think I'll go back to 2k and see how I get on - I'm just so scared I'll start to gain again.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Just so you know, when you go back to 2000 calories, you may see some initial weight gain. Don't panic, this is usually water weight. Stick with it and trust the process and that weight will come back off.