Favorite Healthy Camping Meals?

Spending the weekend in the wilderness to for one final summer oorah. Drop some of your go-to healthy meals and snacks while camping.

My typical meal is some type of tin-foil dinner pouch consisting of veggies/tubers. Snacks are usually fruit/nuts. What about you all?

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I usually do backpacking, rather than campground camping, so the food/cooking options are a little more limited. The worst part of camping, IMO, is the food, so I'm just gonna hang around and see what ideas other people suggest. The stuff I eat is boring and easy, like protein bars, tuna pouches, oatmeal, nuts and dried fruit...
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Taco salad! Ground beef w/ taco seasoning, bag of iceberg lettuce mix, lite sour cream, salsa, tortilla chips of choice (try Cool Ranch Doritos if you're feeling sassy). It's easy to keep everything in the cooler, and prep the taco meat before you go. Can eat it out of a ziplock if needed. Yum!

When we did a week long kayak trip, it was way more like backpacking. There's a site called Pack It Gourmet I used to order some bulk dehydrated ingredients (beef crumbles are our fave) and different veggies. I also like to get Idahoan instant mashed potatoes, because they are great by just adding water. If you mix dehydrated beef crumbles, with the mashed potatoes, and mixed veggies--you end up with a delicious shepherd's pie meal.

For snacks we did a lot of Duke's jerky sausages things and always had some bananas, clementines, or apples around to round out meals and snacks.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    When I go car camping, I do a lot of stews. I make them up ahead of time, freeze them, and put them in the cooler frozen or partially thawed. As they thaw out, they can help keep other things chilled. I heat them up in my dutch oven over the fire. Stews are great because they have meat and veggies all together and have an endless variety. When not heating up food, I often bake in the dutch oven. Things like quiche, crusty yeast bread, and cakes are very popular.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    If I'm driving and staying at a regular site:

Shrimp or lobster skewers over the fire the first night with foiled potatoes and veggies.
    It's a tradition for us on the first night. Breakfast is usually a hearty oatmeal and typically skip lunch or just have some fruit. Dinner night 2 is pork loin or roast, more potatoes and veggies. Maybe some fire grilled fruit for dessert. Another dinner we do frequently is salmon. Breakfast will be eggs with all the savory leftovers.

If I'm backpacking it's very simple:

Oatmeal
    Jerky
    PB2
    Hummus
    Sandwich wraps or tortillas
    Protein or granola bars
    Dried fruit & veggies
    Tuna packs
    Instant flavored rice or pasta
    Nori sheets