A Cry For Help...

Options
I've been at this for a year... and I have been doing horribly for the last probably 6 months... I started slacking when I got my gall bladder out. Then my husbands job stressed me out. Then I got a job. Then I went on vacation.

I have been using every excuse ever, basically living by the mantra, "tomorrow is a new day". It's fine and dandy as long as tomorrow is different and it seems that it never is.

I need to get myself back on track and I'm not sure how to remotivate myself...

HELP!!!

Replies

• poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is only a new day if you don't do the same thing as yesterday.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a myth. There's only today.
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is start by meeting a REASONABLE exercise goal. Find something to do that you ENJOY and do it as much as you can.

I enjoy walking and riding my bike. I know that I will not use a gym membership, I will not train for a marathon, I will not lift weights. SO.... I do what I like to do and it works for me.

Once you are getting a proper amount of exercise, eating healthier will be less of a challenge.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    start with no more excuses and rather than trying to see the "big" picture, take it one meal/work out at a time.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You've obviously started something. You posted here to shout at everyone, including yourself, that you're ready to make a change.

Make the change. Log your food. Log your exercise. Get up every day and tell yourself that as long as you have the passion that the passion will have you.

There is nothing you can't do if you want to do it. There are only excuses if you're not really dedicated to the change.

Dedicate yourself.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that only you can motivate you. You need to find a reason you want to lose weight and/or get in shape and remind yourself of that reason every single day. Post it somewhere you can see it (the bathroom mirror is a good place, as is the fridge door). It might be an unflattering picture of you at your highest weight ("I don't ever want to look like that again!") or a picture of you when you looked and felt your best. It might be your kids and wanting to be able to easily run and play with them as they grow up. It might even be a saying or mantra that keeps you motivated.

I had my gallbladder out on Dec. 30th. By March, I knew that I was stuck with the aftereffects and bound and determined to lose weight and get into shape, regardless. I knew that at 45, it will only to get more difficult from here, so it's better to start now and make it my new lifestyle.
  • kimsciolino
    kimsciolino Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has been there a time or two. First YOU really need to want this. Then start logging your food and exercise everyday and adjust your settings so everyone can see your food diary this way everytime you think about eating you can say to yourself , is this something that I want everyone to see that I am eating. You need to log EVERYTHING you eat plus all exercise. I have been eating very strict for 11 weeks but I was giving myself 1 free day a week during that period I did not lose ANY weight so now I do not give myself any free days. You will need to log everything so you can figure out what works for you. I wish you well and hope that you find the motivation you need right now to make it through this rut you are in.
    GOOD LUCk
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Whenever I would get off track, I pick one thing to focus on... either tracking, drinking water, or getting a few minutes of exercise. Usually I would focus on tracking my food (not really caring about the calories, but just to get back in the habit of it) and once I did that, everything else seem to fall into place.

You can do this... just take it one meal/snack at a time. And if you "mess up" a meal, just focus on the next one.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that only you can motivate you. You need to find a reason you want to lose weight and/or get in shape and remind yourself of that reason every single day. Post it somewhere you can see it (the bathroom mirror is a good place, as is the fridge door). It might be an unflattering picture of you at your highest weight ("I don't ever want to look like that again!") or a picture of you when you looked and felt your best. It might be your kids and wanting to be able to easily run and play with them as they grow up. It might even be a saying or mantra that keeps you motivated.

I totally agree with this. I would add that you should write down your own goals and your own inspirations...put that with the picture...and make sure you read the goals and inspirations everyday.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Start with exercising. It sounds like there have been a lot of stressful events in the last 6 months (good and bad). Stress makes it harder to lose weight (cortisol, released by stress, tells your body to hang onto the fat, incase it is needed for fight-or-flight response). Exercise is the best way to combat this stress. Don't tell yourself you're exercising to "be good" or get back on the weight loss wagon. Tell yourself you're exercising to feel good, to combat stress, or even as a guilty pleasure :laugh:
    Once you're exercising, you can slowly introduce the other elements of attaining a healthy weight. But, even if you start out with a brisk walk around the block, exercise can be the catalyst to break through.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

^ This!!

I was falling into that "tomorrow" trap and before I knew a week would go by and then I'd be upset with myself...that was a whole week I could have been eating better and being active and one week closer to my goal.

Only you can stop giving in to the excuses and do it! :flowerforyou:
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    Today is a new day. This afternoon is a new afternoon. Tonight is a new night. :) And tomorrow is a new day too. It's a minute by minute kind of thing. :) best wishes!
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    tomorrow never comes

i really wish it did because i'm in a similar place myself, keep plodding along it will click back into place when you are ready
  • l_heras
    l_heras Posts: 65
    Options

I love this! So using it
  • 19Robin72
    19Robin72 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I get off track I find it helpful to concertrate on only 1 thing. Like getting back to exercise 3 days a week, or making sure I'm eating fruit every day. Starting with being concerned about one small part of the plan makes it easier and as momentum builds I'll pay attention to one more thing. When that's working I'll add more to what I'm trying to accomplish everyday
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I've been your MFP friend for awhile soo...

KICK IT INTO GEAR SISTER!!!

You have lost 55 pounds! Thats great and also NOT easy! You know how great you felt getting to that point? Lets work together to get you to that point again (another 55 pound loss) then celebrate with more jumping jacks to your final goal!!

You've got this. There is only one person who can hold you back....Yourself. Don't let you be your own worst enemy.
  • Christinamosher
    Options
    Start right this moment. don't start tomorrow. Choose the next meal wisely. Take it hour by hour if you have to.

What helps me is I ask my friends to be my cheerleaders. I ask them to tell me I can do it, as for hugs, cups of tea...support. You can do it. Take this moment and own it. Then make the next moment yours and so forth.