Bar work is horrendous

Every time try and do hanging knees raises on chin up bar left with iron poker dmos next day
Muscles under arm pit all around upper delts
Can do about 15 chin ups with assist that’s bearable but the hanging knee raises very painful
176 lbs 6ft 2

Replies

• Bobthedog3232
    Bobthedog3232 Posts: 54 Member
    Want to build the abs up but cannot do anything else with the DOMS
  • Bobthedog3232
    Teres Major is the muscle where it’s the worst
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited September 2018
    Then do less strenuous ab work.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Check out Convict Conditioning. Paul Wade has a progression building up to hanging straight leg raises that will get you there if you put in the time and reps. It’s ten steps and you won’t even go near a bar until step six but you’ll be ready for it when it’s time to graduate from the floor. There book also has good pointers on how to ensure your shoulder positioning is correct which may be part of your trouble.
  • Bobthedog3232
    Thanks will look at that
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    It sounds like it's strength issue with hanging onto the bar. Another alternative is to get some ab straps to hang off your bar. They shift some of the weight off your shoulders, it makes doing leg raises easier.
  • Bobthedog3232
    As in resistance bands got them where do they go exactly
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Not resistance bands. The straps aren't elastic.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Perfect-Fitness-Ab-Strap/33573760
  • Bobthedog3232
    edited December 2018
    Doing 5 x5 leg raises using straps
    when doing conventional chin ups how long is ideal time to wait until one can hop up on the bar again as I do about 8 max then gotta come off
    A minute etc what time max thanks
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited December 2018
    when doing conventional chin ups how long is ideal time to wait until one can hop up on the bar again as I do about 8 max then gotta come off

I love pull-ups. I do 4 sets of 10 weighted and a final set to failure at body weight - they really get my heart rate up and wind me pretty good. I need to rest about two minutes between sets.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member

It depends. If 8 reps maxes you out (or close to it), you'll probably need longer rest periods between sets.