Count calories or Carbs?

Options
I am trying to see if counting carbs like Atkins is better than counting calories? Pro-Atkins ppl claim if you limit your carbs/sugar, your body will burn stored fat for energy, and pro- calorie counting folks claim it’s all about CICO and nothing is off limits. What is best in your opinion? Thank you.

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Carbs are 4 calories per gram
    Fat is 9 calories per gram
    Protein is 4 calories per gram

I would guess that not counting calories, and only counting carbs would be detrimental to weight loss. Especially since fat is more calorie dense and you would probably be eating more of that since you cut out carbs.

The reason why low carb works so well for some people is because many find fat and protein are more filling so when they focus on getting calories through those sources primarily they get fuller eating less.

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I've done both. I lost weight on both. I only maintained when I used calories because I hate not eating carbs. When I did Atkins I lost because I got tired of the food I was allowed so just stopped eating most of the time but I was miserable. Yes I had less appetite but eventually I quit because that diet was unsustainable. The only reason I stuck it out as long as I did was because of the first week losses which were mostly water. I had learned nothing because once I added back carbs I was eating what had been normal to me prediet. As a result I gained all the weight back plus a few more pounds. Do what you can live with permanently. If you think a "quick loss" with low carb is the way to go then switch back to low cal I can tell you it is unlikely to work but everyone is different. Also the quick loss part is water and over the long haul most weight loss evens out and there is no advantage to low carb as far as how quickly you lose. For some the low carb diet makes them feel less hungry because high fat makes them feel full. If you can maintain that lifestlye go for it.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Based on my experience, I try to get the most nutrition out of my calorie limitation. I will get more nutrition to support my health out of a dinner of steak, a small potato with butter, and broccoli (546 calories), then I will out of the same calories of a molten chocolate cake at Chili's (1,160 calories). Paying attention to the nutritional value of what I eat, plus getting more volume/denseness for my calories (like lots of veggies) tends to lend itself to lower carbs, though I'm not doing a LOW carb diet.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Based on my experience, I try to get the most nutrition out of my calorie limitation. I will get more nutrition to support my health out of a dinner of steak, a small potato with butter, and broccoli (546 calories), then I will out of the same calories of a molten chocolate cake at Chili's (1,160 calories). Paying attention to the nutritional value of what I eat, plus getting more volume/denseness for my calories (like lots of veggies) tends to lend itself to lower carbs, though I'm not doing a LOW carb diet.

I'm not sure anyone in the real world is seriously considering if they want to swap steak, potato, and broccoli for double the calories in chocolate cake. I mean, maybe once in a blue moon someone might do that (and so it wouldn't have much of an impact nutritionally). But regularly and consistently?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    toolzz wrote: »

I'm not sure anyone in the real world is seriously considering if they want to swap steak, potato, and broccoli for double the calories in chocolate cake. I mean, maybe once in a blue moon someone might do that (and so it wouldn't have much of an impact nutritionally). But regularly and consistently?

...and in reality there is a large portion of the population having the steak, potato, broccoli AND the chocolate cake and not giving it a second thought.

Sure, which is why counting calories is a good tool (at least for some) to raise awareness of the impact our choices of food and portion size can have on us.
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    toolzz wrote: »

...and in reality there is a large portion of the population having the steak, potato, broccoli AND the chocolate cake and not giving it a second thought.

Sure, which is why counting calories is a good tool (at least for some) to raise awareness of the impact our choices of food and portion size can have on us.

100% agree...which is why these either/or comparisons are so silly. Knowledge of the energy component of food is a game changer.