My first half-marathon as a surprise!

Options
Heyy everyone,

I just need to get this out of my chest as I'm super happy. I ran for a charity event today - every kilometer (0.62 miles) ran or walked counted for a bit over a dollar towards a children charity of runner's choice. My original plan was to run 10 km (6.2 mi) as that's what I currently run as maximum distance in my cardio sessions.

However, I saw a guy, must have been over 80 years old, limping, with severe scoliosis (one of his shoulders was about 20 cm lower than the other) with really bad case of varicose veins on both legs - and he was still challenging himself, walking one lap after the other. So I told myself - if he has will strong enough to do this, I should challenge myself as well! So I decided to test my new distance maximum.

As I was running past my usual 10k, I didn't feel tired and felt I could go on and on. I 'woke up' from my thoughts after about 18 km (~11 mi) and thought - wow, I could actually hit 21k and run my first half marathon! Since I realized it, it started to become harder :smiley: , but I did it. I ran 21k in 2 hr 21 min 45 sec. I'm soooo happy. My legs hurt and I think tomorrow I won't really be able to wake up, but I'm still so damn proud :smile:

On a side note - that elderly gentleman whom I owe the inspiration was still walking when I finished my run, after almost 2.5 hours. I truly admire him.

Thanks everyone who had the patience to read this!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! (Now drink plenty of water and take a warm bath, with Epsom salts if ya got 'em. Tomorrow will thank you ;) ).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Well done
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    That was a nice way to do your first HM distance. Congratulations!
  • nicoleseph0321
    nicoleseph0321 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Take it easy tomorrow and make sure to refuel and rehydrate yourself. Congratulations!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats, what a great PB!
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    WOW! That's so inspiring. Thanks for sharing! I bet you'll be high on that achievement for days on end.
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!