PMS week--> wanting to eat anything and everything

Options
I am not craving a specific type of food, I am just plain hungry and eating at maintenance calories already. Yesterday I ate 2/3 of my daily calories by noon. I'm exceeding my fat, protein, and fiber ratios especially on the latter two.

I ate nearly the same thing last friday as today, but I've already cut out dessert and moved it to afternoon snacks just so I can keep working.

Anyone else experience this? I'm already drinking lots of water and tea, going a mini walks to take my mind off of hunger, chewing some gum to hold off eating constantly.

Replies

• TaviaLane
    TaviaLane Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I get that sometimes. Definitely. Usually 1-2 days of ravenous, insatiable hunger right before my period.

I'm PMSing right now and sick at the same time. Cramping is new to me since having a baby 6 months ago haha. I used to be one of the lucky ones who had minimal pms. And my throats feels... gaggy? My uvula is irritated and red along with the rest of my throat. It doesn't hurt... but I might prefer that over this feeling.

So do I feel bad about starting my day with ice cream in the bath tub? Nope! I feel a little bad about the pizza and Kraft mac n cheese for lunch though. But even though I went 1500 calories over my 1260 calorie budget, I feel ok because it's just one bad day and I feel like I deserve it today.

I know that mindset can get out of control fast. Where do we draw the line, when do we deserve it or not?

That all being said, I can't wait to get back on track. Since trying whole30 in august (Well... for 25 days anyway) I really notice how junk food makes me feel now. In the past it has been hard to stay motivated because I didn't feel any different, but now I do notice a big difference so... yay motivation!
  • oat_bran
    oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I feel like I could have written this, OP. In fact I stumbled upon this post because I was searching for posts on this topic. The only difference is that I'm not sure the periods of unsatiable hunger are cycle-related or not, because 1). I take oral contraceptives and am not supposed to have a menstrual cycle in the normal sense of the word. 2) there's no clear patterns in my case: sometimes I have these "pottomless-pit" days for almost two weeks followed by two weeks of "normal-hunger". Sometimes I get 4-5 of these days randomly several times throughout a month. And then recently I had one month of almost non-stop ravenous hunger and then one month of normal hunger levels. So yeah, I don't know if if it's cycle-related, but it definitely feels hormonal.

It feels almost like an overwhelming compulsive drive to eat. If I try to eat my normal intake (2000cals which puts me in a 250-300cal deficit only) I feel like I'm STARVING, like I've been under-eating for a year. If I let myself eat more, much more, even over maintenance, the cruel irony is that the hunger is still there almost constantly, just a little dulled. It's incredibly frustrating when I am already hundreds of calories over my TDEE and yet still feeling hungry... My psychological attitude to food also changes on these days. Food suddenly becomes more important than almost everything else. Images of food, mentions of food grasp my attention instantly. And I have difficulty thinking about anything else. Then when it's over, suddenly everything changes. I feel like myself again, food starts to matter less and I can eat at my regular deficit or even more without a problem. I still get hungry, but it's not overwhelming.

I don't have much advice to be honest. As I'm still trying to figure out how to del with it without ruining all of my progress every time. One trick that helps me sometimes (the key word is sometimes, unfortunately) is something that somebody on here recommended me -I skip breakfast or have a very small one and then have a very calorie dense lunch with lots of carbs, fats and proteins, like I huge burger and milkshake or something like that (1000+ calories) and sometimes it does the trick and for several hours I feel blissful satiety and can even manage to stay at maintenance on that day. But it doesn't always help unfortunately, so some of these days I end up 1000 cals or more over my TDEE with in my case can mean ruining a week of progress :( .

I also try to exercise as much as I can on these days to lessen the damage but the worst thing is that exercising seems so much harder on these days - I feel so lethargic and week that it takes so much more effort to exercise...
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Always. But for like 2days of out of 3 weeks of a month - if that makes sense 😂 ovulation - 2 days of starving then the week before I'm due and then again the day before and the day I start! I found I was craving chocolate a lot and I read somewhere that it means I'm actually craving magnesium- who'd have guessed? Haha! So I've started taking a supplement every morning to see whether it helps. It's only been a month and I did find it a little easier but it may have been psychosomatic so I'm still holding off judgement. Worth considering though! 💜
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for replying!
    My friends usually fall into craving lots of cookies category as do many of the previous PMs posters so it's nice to see I'm not the only one ravenous in general.

I totally agree with you @oat_bran on my psychology on food changing. I was having an incredibly hard time working cause I was just so so so constantly peckish. Eating a normal lunch only gave me a 10 min span of satiety and then I'd be back to being hungry.

I might try the light breakfast and have a giant lunch idea.

• kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    @oat_bran made another great point which is that even when you give in and feed the beast, YOU STILL FEEL HUNGRY! That is so true and I can’t believe I never realized it before. That really puts the hormonal cravings and hunger in perspective for me. That it’s not really grounded in reality and I have to wait it out. My usual strategy is to eat maintenance- give myself a little chocolate, eat extra fiber and protein and then drink lots of tea to try and fill my belly. It works okay. Not great. Good luck to you!

Edit - my gyn recommended a b complex vitamin for general pms symptoms. I’ve been taking it daily for over a year now and I think it’s really helped with the mood swings. Not the hunger I don’t think, but who knows, maybe it could be worse.
  • oat_bran
    oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    @oat_bran made another great point which is that even when you give in and feed the beast, YOU STILL FEEL HUNGRY! That is so true and I can’t believe I never realized it before. That really puts the hormonal cravings and hunger in perspective for me. That it’s not really grounded in reality and I have to wait it out. My usual strategy is to eat maintenance- give myself a little chocolate, eat extra fiber and protein and then drink lots of tea to try and fill my belly. It works okay. Not great. Good luck to you!

Yeah, I'm actually starting to think that maybe the best way to deal with this hunger is to just "starve it out" so to speak. Because if I still feel hungry after eating an entire fridge and if I still spend all of my energy and focus on resisting the desire to keep eating, what's the point? I may as well stick to my regular deficit and suffer through it until it passes. (I mean I understand it logically, but actually resisting the urge to eat when I'm in this mode is not always realistically possible...)
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    oat_bran wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm actually starting to think that maybe the best way to deal with this hunger is to just "starve it out" so to speak. Because if I still feel hungry after eating an entire fridge and if I still spend all of my energy and focus on resisting the desire to keep eating, what's the point? I may as well stick to my regular deficit and suffer through it until it passes. (I mean I understand it logically, but actually resisting the urge to eat when I'm in this mode is not always realistically possible...)

Yeah, if you're gonna be miserable either way, why not pick the route that helps you reach your goals? (I say now, on the second week of my cycle HA)
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot, but try to find drinks that I like and not just plan tea. I also drink a green smoothie and try to schedule many things so I won't be in *that* mood. btw, for me chewing gum makes me feel hungry.