hi I'm new to fitness pal.

Options
Trying to lose 15 lbs. Usually not a problem but I started keto 4 weeks ago and not as successful. Only 5 pounds so far. Very frustrated. I'm ready to give it up and try something else.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    How fast you can lose, depends on how much you weigh and how much you eat, so how much do you weigh and what is your logged calorie intake on average, and are you using a food scale?
  • KatrinaPryde
    KatrinaPryde Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Welcome. We are all here to help
  • Fdelatorre07
    Fdelatorre07 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Welcome
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose 15 lbs. Usually not a problem but I started keto 4 weeks ago and not as successful. Only 5 pounds so far. Very frustrated. I'm ready to give it up and try something else.

Congratulations on losing 5lbs. That's nothing to sneeze at. 1lb a week is a good rate of loss, so in fact you're doing very well even though you don't think you are. Maybe you have to manage your expectations if you see a loss of 5lbs in a month as a failure instead of a success, or you were expecting the weight to drop off quicker because it has in the past, or because you're on keto now.
    Loss is loss. The fact that you're not satisfied with yours suggests to me that you have to learn to cultivate some patience.

Perhaps instead of thinking "I only lost five pounds this month, I'm so frustrated, I'm going to give up" (which then might mean you start eating back the 5lbs you lost and then some), try thinking "I lost five whole pounds this month! That means I only have two months to go before I'm at my goal weight!"

Two months is nothing, and if you keep going as you are you may be another 10lbs lighter by mid November, which isn't that far away. Eat at a calorie deficit, keep weighing and logging your food, and try to think of each pound and even ounce lost as a small victory, which will build up over time into a big win for you.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You are doing GREAT! I can't stress enough that permanent weight loss needs to be gradual. A pound a week is what I am shooting for and so far am suceeding. And I have 30 pounds to lose, DON'T STOP! Keep up the great work!!

• rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Go to the grocery store and pick up a pound of ground beef. Hold it, look at it and feel it’s weight. Just think that in one week you took that weight and mass OFF of your body. Then do the same with 5 pounds of ground beef. After your done playing this game you may realize that 5 lbs. in a month is pretty darn good.
    Looking at a scale a pound is just a teeny little hash line. Doesn’t seem like much until you put it into real life perspective.