Those doing low carb: what do you typically eat in a day?

Options
BlessedMom70
BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
edited September 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
And how many carbs do you consume? If I stick to 100 (net) carbs, is that considered low carb?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    100 grams is generally considered low carb. I don't eat low carb now, but I did when I lost weight. I just ate normal foods, but reduced portions of starchy foods and allowed more generous portions of fat and protein foods than I had ever eaten before.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I try to eat less than 100g of carbs a day. I eat a lot of fish and eggs but I also fit in other higher carb foods in moderation. That is the key....moderation.

• me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly low carb even now in maintenance as I just feel better. I often skip the sides such as potato/rice/pasta/bread for dinner and will just have a protein and veg. But I'll usually have some overnight oats in the morning, fruits for snacks and a small portion of starch for lunch along with a protein. I don't make it very complicated really, I eat the same food as always, just smaller portions of the starchy carbs and a bit more butter/oil/fats on the rest. I still log and balance it out over the day to keep it at about 100g/day. When I was losing I was pretty strict and stuck to it, now for holidays or special occasions I don't worry about it much if I go over for a day.
  • BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    For those of you talking about 100 g a day, is that total carbs or net carbs?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I never bothered with net carb. It really does not matter. Judging from your other thread, you're better off trying to not worry so much about the minor details.
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I do total carbs. I don't have the time or energy to do the math on every item, but I understand some countries display the nutritional information differently. At the end whatever floats your boat, I don't think 100g is a magic number or anything but I feel good on it, so it works for me.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    100g is definitely low carb. I watch net carbs, so when I eat carb-y foods I go for ones that have a lot of fiber. I eat lots of jerky, eggs, salad greens, raspberries, dark chocolate, and avocados, and I cook everything I can in oil or butter and then add cheese to it for good measure. Zucchini, coleslaw mix, cauliflower and broccoli feature prominently, along with Brussels sprouts, cucumbers, and cabbage, and then I choose high-calorie cuts of meat to eat with them. Pecans and macadamia nuts, salami, and Primal Kitchen bars—they don’t taste great, but I always feel especially healthy after I eat them, so I do.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on Atkins, so initially very low carb, then I think I went up to about 50g. That was several years ago. I maintain by counting calories, not carbs because I found low-carb too limiting. The only way I was able to stick to the diet for several months was by having a few 'cheats' every week or two. Still, I did lose 45 pounds.

Breakfast was scrambled eggs with either veggies, ham or sausage.

Lunch was salad with eggs, cheese, meat, etc. or just cold cuts.

Dinner was pretty much a normal dinner, but without the starch part. i.e. chili without beans, spaghetti without pasta, no potatoes with my meat and vegetables, etc.

Snacks were usually cheese or hard boiled eggs.

Simply cutting out sweets is what probably did the most to help me lose weight, since snacks are a huge part of my calories, even now. Figuring out how much of that I can eat without gaining took time. The other thing that low carb taught me was that I don't need french fries or large servings of pasta or a starch with my dinner. If I'm not really active, meat and one or two vegetables is enough.

• born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Dairy. Tons of dairy. Yogurt, cottage cheese, brick cheese, whey protein, milk...you get the idea. It’s not all I eat but it does comprise a serious percentage of my food.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Right now I am very low carb with no plants- health experiment - beyond coffee and stevia... And diet Pepsi. ;)

I've also lost weight easily when carbs were below 20-30 g. Above that my appetite increases and weight loss stops. That really varies between people. At that time I ate pretty normal but I skipped baked goods, foods or sauces with (much) added sugar, noodles and rice, and I really limited my starchy root vegetables. You are eating almost 5 times as many carbs as I did so you'll have a lot more choices : eat fruit more often, have a small potato instead of a few bites. Etc. meat and a side of veggies was typically my meals.
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 50-100 g total carbs. You should have a lot of choices with 100 g allowance. With that level you can enjoy potatoes, bread, and lots of veggies.
  • davidylin04
    davidylin04 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What has been working for me are Cobb salads (chicken, bacon, avocado, cheese, ranch dressing, etc., minus corn, minus croutons, etc.). But I've been trying to eat a high fat diet on an experimental basis. Otherwise, I tend to substitute lettuce leaves for buns and bread on sandwiches. I eat a lot of sauteed veggies.

erm... produce, fresh cut, instead of grain-based snacks. beef jerky. Hard boiled eggs and egg whites. There's this almond flour cracker that's pretty good, but I have to be careful because there are still carbs in them. Stuff like that.
  • davidylin04
    davidylin04 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Oh, and Siggi's icelandic style yogurt or a square of dark chocolate. It has some carbs, but it's an indulgence for me.
  • AvandHK
    AvandHK Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When I was on a super low carb diet I used to eat eggs,meat,canned tuna, that’s mostly what I ate not doing that anymore tho
  • ilauragr
    ilauragr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    salmon, whey protein and eggs :) Im about 100g aswell.