Fitbit of choice

Hi, I'm looking to buy a Fitbit but I'm not sure which to go for. I'm not bothered about text or call alerts, but I'd like to know calories burned, steps walked and ideally a good battery life. Which do you recommend? Thanks guys! 🤗

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2018
    I have the Alta (regular, no heart rate) and I love it. It's not bulky, and the battery lasts about a week if you don't have call alerts. I like it because the previous model I had with heart rate gave me greatly inflated calories. Heart rate is not the best indication of calories burned for most activities you do throughout the day, so I opted to go without. I also like it because I can just pop it out of the band and wear it in a clip whenever I want.

It's worth mentioning that after you buy it, gather your data for at least a month to see how you lose with it. For some people the burn it reports is accurate, for others it can be over-estimated or under-estimated. So start with eating back only half the calories it gives you for now, and adjust up and down based on the rate of your weight loss.
  • eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    I have the Flex 2 so I can track swimming. It's the cheapest model that tracks swims. I like the sounds of the Alta in terms of not having to wear a band all the time though. Some weeks I just need to have a "fitbit-free Friday" as it is strapped on constantly which does bug me a bit.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I love my Charge 2. It has pretty much everything I need. I like having the heart rate since I do a lot of running and I like to pace myself based on HR.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    I have the Alta without hr as well and I really love it. I had a zip in the past and had it for something like six years before I upgraded. Not sure how accurate the zip is but I find the Alta to be pretty spot on for me, if a little bit under estimating. As @amusedmonkey said, it varies by person. But, if you give it time, you'll be able to get a feel for how off it is based on how much you weigh and how fast you're losing. It's slimmer so it doesn't look as bulky. That was important for me because of the way I gain weight, my extremities are thin and I have pretty slender wrists. Even with text alerts the battery has a really good life. I easily get five days to a week. Sometimes a little longer. Plus I like that you can change the bands.

Just a small note. Where the charging cord connects to the Alta, the connection spot is against your wrist. It contains nickel. I don't know if you have a nickel allergy or not but since it's a common allergy I wanted to mention it. I do have an allergy to nickel that presents as VERY persistent eczema. That being said, the only time this has been an issue is when I have the Alta too tight on my wrist. Overall it hasn't been an issue and if the band is one that is either too tight or too loose with no option that is just right, you can get a band that is magnetic so that you can set it to the exact right tightness for your wrist.
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Charge 2 hr does everything I need for recording cardio and weight lifting sessions. The charge 3 is just about to or has just been released, I would go for that
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2018
    Katyylove wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking to buy a Fitbit but I'm not sure which to go for. I'm not bothered about text or call alerts, but I'd like to know calories burned, steps walked and ideally a good battery life. Which do you recommend? Thanks guys! 🤗

Are you stuck on the Fitbit brand? I have a Garmin Vivofit 2 and I love it! It tells steps, calories burned, miles, date, and time. It is also water resistant to 10 meters so I can swim with it. There is an optional HRM with a chest strap which I chose to not get. The best thing about it is that it runs on a watch battery so you never have to charge it. I just changed my batteries for the first time and I have had it for almost 3 years. The Garmin Connect app and website work really well too.

My first tracker was a Fitbit but the battery started not holding a charge after a little more than a year.
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    I have the Fitbit Charge, the basic one, not the HR. It helps me to record my daily steps, distance walked, calories burned, date and time, sync with My Fitness Pal, that is what I wanted. In the future I would like to upgrade to one that is water resistant, if there's one out there.
  • earlnabby
    mmnv79 wrote: »
    I have the Fitbit Charge, the basic one, not the HR. It helps me to record my daily steps, distance walked, calories burned, date and time, sync with My Fitness Pal, that is what I wanted. In the future I would like to upgrade to one that is water resistant, if there's one out there.

The Charge 3 is the only Fitbit you can swim with. Many brands, especially Garmin, make a number of trackers you can swim with.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    I have a Charge 2. I also use the HR to monitor my heart during workouts. I've not found that it over inflates calories when my heart rate is high and I'm not working outside, such as when stressed. I think it's technology knows..., you do have to wear it for a good period of time until it learns you.

I saved a great deal of money by buying a lightly used on on eBay. And I love love love the interchangeable straps.

I bought, on Amazon, metal mesh straps (they are more breathable), to match any jewelry I may be wearing. Gold, rose gold, silver. But my favorite is rainbow.
  • earlnabby
    I have a Charge 2. I also use the HR to monitor my heart during workouts. I've not found that it over inflates calories when my heart rate is high and I'm not working outside, such as when stressed. I think it's technology knows..., you do have to wear it for a good period of time until it learns you.

I saved a great deal of money by buying a lightly used on on eBay. And I love love love the interchangeable straps.

I bought, on Amazon, metal mesh straps (they are more breathable), to match any jewelry I may be wearing. Gold, rose gold, silver. But my favorite is rainbow.

I love those bands! I bought one in silver to fit my Garmin Vivofit (actually is a case and band because of the design of the tracker) and it looks like a classy watch now instead of a tracker.
  • SoleTrainer60
    SoleTrainer60 Posts: 180 Member
    I have a Fitbit charge 2 and it works just great. This one sounds like it would be perfect for you. I purchased mine at Walmart. You can check it out there to see if it is what you are looking for. I had a Fitbit Charge HR for 3 years and upgraded to the Fitbit Charge 2. I am 62 years old , so when I explain what my new Fitbit does, consider my age. Lol. . I am not very well educated when it comes to these new electronic devices. I have an iPad as well. One day my daughter sent me a message on my iPad, when suddenly the message showed up on my Fitbit. I had forgotten that she had sinned my Fitbit with my iPad and didn’t know it would do that. I hope you don’t mind me sharing my experience with my new Fitbit. 😊
  • colorfulcoquette
    colorfulcoquette Posts: 94 Member
    skram01 wrote: »
    Just a small note. Where the charging cord connects to the Alta, the connection spot is against your wrist. It contains nickel. I don't know if you have a nickel allergy or not but since it's a common allergy I wanted to mention it. I do have an allergy to nickel that presents as VERY persistent eczema. That being said, the only time this has been an issue is when I have the Alta too tight on my wrist. Overall it hasn't been an issue and if the band is one that is either too tight or too loose with no option that is just right, you can get a band that is magnetic so that you can set it to the exact right tightness for your wrist.

Thank you for mentioning this. I also have an allergy to nickel and get the same type of reaction. I’ve been seriously considering getting a Fitbit and this is making me wonder if it would wind up being something I regret. I stopped wearing a watch years ago because of reactions and I don’t know why it didn’t occur to me that I could run into that problem with these as well. I definitely need to look into this more 🤔

• tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

The Charge 3 is the only Fitbit you can swim with. Many brands, especially Garmin, make a number of trackers you can swim with.

There are a couple of fitbits you can swim with which are currently on the market. The cheapest is Flex, and one of the larger SmartWatch target is also swim capable. However, if you can wait a little while for the Charge 3, that will give you a high level functionality combined with swim capability at a relatively low price for a Fitbit.
  • earlnabby
    tess5036 wrote: »

There are a couple of fitbits you can swim with which are currently on the market. The cheapest is Flex, and one of the larger SmartWatch target is also swim capable. However, if you can wait a little while for the Charge 3, that will give you a high level functionality combined with swim capability at a relatively low price for a Fitbit.

Fitbit does NOT recommend swimming with any except the Charge 3. All of the others are "splash proof" which means they will be OK if they get water on them but should not be immersed.
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    We have Charge 2's we bought from Costco for $150. Works fine for us. We don't have smart phones to sync them with like most people but if you are in this same situation, be aware that it doesn't come with the USB bluetooth dongle you need to sync it to your computer. I am sure it works fine with the app but it was a bit frustrating to have to wait a week after buying the dongle in order to set it up.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member

Fitbit does NOT recommend swimming with any except the Charge 3. All of the others are "splash proof" which means they will be OK if they get water on them but should not be immersed.

From the Fitbit website “Track Swimming
    Wear it in the shower, ocean or pool. Track swimming automatically and see your workout summary in the Fitbit app.”
    https://www.fitbit.com/shop/flex2
  • earlnabby
    kiela64 wrote: »

Wear it in the shower, ocean or pool. Track swimming automatically and see your workout summary in the Fitbit app.”

Also from the Fitbit website:

xebng02l5nii.jpg
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    kiela64 wrote: »

Also from the Fitbit website:

xebng02l5nii.jpg

Yes, that chart depicts that all of those - charge 2, Flex 2, versa & ionic can go in the pool. Then, Alta etc cannot.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    edited September 2018

Taken from Fitbits own page in the flex 2. It does not only allow you to go swimming, it's designed to track distance swam. I know this as I have owned one.
    mw8r7htely55.png