Favorite Low Carb Recipes

Options
pamplemousse21
pamplemousse21 Posts: 20 Member
I recently started eating low carb and it’s the only thing that has worked in years (YAY!) However I’m starting to get bored with my food choices. What are your favorite low carb foods (meals, snacks, ready to eat, needs prepared, anything) to help me diversify? I’m not keto so some carbs are fine but I’ve been trying to stay at about 15%.

Replies

• generallarry
    generallarry Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Baked Jalapeno poppers, bacon and crème cheese inside of a halved jalapeno baked until the cheese is brown. Cauliflower crusted pizza, zucchini Bolognese, grilled halloumi cheese (if you can get it in your area). One of my favorite snacks is a homemade cheese cracker recipie I found online using almond flour, cheese, and eggs. Roasted salmon on asparagus salad. delish.com has a bunch of good low carb recipies.
  • daynegerous
    daynegerous Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Get yourself an Instsant Pot if you haven’t yet. I got a cookbook for Father’s Day that is nothing but Low Carb/Keto friendly instant pot recipes. I’m a professional chef/restaurant owner and I use my instant pot at home all of the time whenever I’m lucky enough to not be at the restaurant. It’s extremely user friendly and you can do braises, soups and all sorts of other things in a fraction of the time. I made an instant pot Ropa Vieja last night and my wife and daughter devoured it. I wish I had leftovers for today.
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    daygenerous:

What is the cookbook?
  • teslac0ils
    teslac0ils Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    https://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/low-carb-cloud-bread-loaf/ this is my favorite cloud bread recipe. Having something to make quick sandwiches is the only thing that keeps me on a low carb diet sometimes when life is just too busy to cook every day!
    Fathead dough was mentioned above- in addition to pizza it can also be used to make delicious low-carb bagels.
    Obviously, I'm a bread fan, which needs some special workarounds in a low-carb diet... :p
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    https://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/one-pan-healthy-sausage-and-veggies/

Current favorite of mine. Doesn't even need the Parmesan sprinkled on at the end.

Love tuna salad, shrimp salad, chicken salad, egg salad, on greens, or in an LC wrap. Especially if you make your own mayonnaise with quality oil.

Rotisserie chicken is great with a side dish. Try it with garlic spread, pickled veggies, and a couple Tbs of hummus!
    Crackslaw (recipes on the web abound)
    Deviled eggs
    Taco salad
    poached fish with homemade sauce (like pesto mayonnaise)
    Hamburgers (no bun), steak, pot roast
    Pumpkin season is coming up. Try pumpkin sausage soup.
    Deep Dish Pizza Quiche
    Joe's Special (scramble of eggs, ground beef & spinach)

Make your own chili and serve it straight up, in an omelette, or over hot dogs!

just a few suggestions. :)

• ImpulsiveDaydreamer
    ImpulsiveDaydreamer Posts: 20 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I make Maunika Gowardhan Curries using beef,lamb or chicken. I alter the recipes to include more fats from oils and add double cream of coconut milk instead of the yogurt. I also add low carb veggies like spinach, spring greens and Brussel sprouts and serve it with cauliflower rice mixed with turmeric and an additional fat. One pot usually serves 6-8.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    chicken afredo with courgette / zucchini noodles - love it!

I've been eating meat leftovers for breakfast recently instead of my usual boiled egg/ baked egg & ham/ egg and avocado. I've been feeling a bit egged-out
  • joeyG123
    joeyG123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 20lbs in about 7 weeks on low carb. I started with keto then just did low carb after first 10lbs.
    Atkins has good low carb snacks that kill cravings. Other good snack and chip substitutes:
    Snacks
    Chicharrones/pork rhines
    cheese crisps or pan fried cheese
    baked zucchini
    fried pickles

Meat:
    Most all meats are good for low carb except pulled pork is all carbs. But bacon, sausage, hot dogs, bratwurst are all low carb.
    Lunch meat
    Sausage
    Bacon
    Tuna

Condiments are good to except for ketchup/bbq sauce. Mayo and mustard are zero carb and my favorite Marie Calendar ranch is low carb.

Drinks:
    Tea and sparkling ice sodas are zero carb and have vitamins like potassium that is often missing in low carb diets. Also vodka is zero carb for the drinkers doing low carb.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'm not low carb, but am in a FB group with a bunch of people who are mostly keto, so getting recipe ideas from them. Mug cakes are fun treats. It's my new bed time snack.

For this one, I went with the sour cream substitution for mayo other people suggested, and just use a whole egg instead of the yolk.

https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/keto-chocolate-mug-cake/

chocolate-mug-cake-2-600x900.jpg

I had some amazing Buffalo Cauliflower at a restaurant last night. Here's a keto-friendly version:

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/baked-healthy-buffalo-cauliflower-bites-wings-recipe/

wholesomeyum-baked-healthy-buffalo-cauliflower-bites-wings-recipe-3.jpg

• alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    joeyG123 wrote: »
    I’ve lost 20lbs in about 7 weeks on low carb. I started with keto then just did low carb after first 10lbs.
    Atkins has good low carb snacks that kill cravings. Other good snack and chip substitutes:
    Snacks
    Chicharrones/pork rhines
    cheese crisps or pan fried cheese
    baked zucchini
    fried pickles

Meat:
    Most all meats are good for low carb except pulled pork is all carbs. But bacon, sausage, hot dogs, bratwurst are all low carb.
    Lunch meat
    Sausage
    Bacon
    Tuna

Condiments are good to except for ketchup/bbq sauce. Mayo and mustard are zero carb and my favorite Marie Calendar ranch is low carb.

Drinks:
    Tea and sparkling ice sodas are zero carb and have vitamins like potassium that is often missing in low carb diets. Also vodka is zero carb for the drinkers doing low carb.

Why do you say pulled pork is all carbs?
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    What’s a good pizza crust I could get at Walmart or trader joes? Any good chili recipes?
  • VeraB1794
    VeraB1794 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Honestly all you got to do is look up stuff on Pinterest that’s what I do lol
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    Nam prik ong is a favourite low carb meal. Essentially a Thai dipping sauce of spicy ground pork and tomatoes for raw and blanched veg and eventually pork rinds. Can be served with rice but I don't miss it if I skip the rice.

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/recipes/nam-prik-ong-recipe-best-thai-food-recipes-homemade-thai-chiang-mai-nyc

Cambodian beef lok lak is another great low carb meal. Stir fried beef served on a bed of salad (sometimes also served with a fried egg on top) with a lime juice and pepper dressing. Another meal where I don't miss having carbs.

https://refugeekitchen.com/2014/04/04/khmer-lok-lak/

Tagliata di manzo is an Italian salad of rocket topped with parmesan shavings and thinly sliced rare steak. It's my go to order at an Italian restaurant if I don't want a carb heavy meal.

https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/tagliata-di-manzo
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    VeraB1794 wrote: »
    Honestly all you got to do is look up stuff on Pinterest that’s what I do lol

Pinterest is great for pretty photos and inspiration. Not so much for reviews. I've made plenty of pinterest recipes across the spectrum. Some come out great, and some were awful- a waste of time and ingredients.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'm on Pinterest. I always look at the website address that describes the recipe and the method used to make it. I don't pin it unless all of that looks good. If anyone wants to check out my boards, my user name there is:

MistressPi *

(first last)

I also have some nice boards devoted to dance dresses, vintage bathrooms, and photography, among others. But most of my pins are LC and/or Keto.