A very big mountain to climb!

julie01968
julie01968 Posts: 1
edited 9:58AM in Introduce Yourself
Hi,

All I can see at the mo is this very big mountain in front of me...I have just joined and have 70lbs to lose, inwhich I would love to lose half of this for christmas.

Well here goes.....first foot of the ground and I found this site to grab hold off!!!

julie x :happy:

Replies

• mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Don't think about 70lbs.. think about 5lbs and then another 5lbs. Break it down into manageable bites (figuratively!). You can do this!
  • deandera
    deandera Posts: 15
    You can do this! Feel free to add me as a friend for motivation! I have about 55lb more to lose, this is a wonderful site and if you stick to your calories and log everything you will be successful!! Welcome to MFP!!! :happy:
  • soknurdy
    soknurdy Posts: 74 Member
    One pound at a time and you are THAT MUCH closer. Good luck!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Focus on small amounts. If you look at it as "omg I have to lose almost 100 pounds", you're setting yourself up to fail because it's a giant challenge. 5 pounds is a much easier challenge. It's the difference between trying to jump over a puddle and trying to jump an ocean. Which seems easier? You can do it!
  • ckclontz
    ckclontz Posts: 68
    I did the same thing, and then realized that thinking "HUGE amount to lose" was just a way to defeat myself before I truly began. I broke it down. I'm going for 10% of my weight right now, and I'm halfway there in 6 weeks' time. After that, I'd like to stick to 15-20 pound portions until I reach my goal - 145 pounds lost - an ENTIRE person!!!

You will succeed and we will walk it with you! Feel free to add me if you'd like. :)

Good luck and good health!
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    You can do this! I've seen people on here that have lost more than 200 lbs. It all feels the same to us, whether we have 10 lbs to lose or 100 lbs, but ALL of it is possible. I hope that you make your journey a success!!
  • willdbill0712
    willdbill0712 Posts: 83 Member
    You are in the right place! Plenty of information, motivation and support here. Like everyone else has said. Don't look at the entire mountain. Those mountains are built of smaller rocks. Those are the goals.

Welcome and congrats on taking a first big step!
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Congratulations on taking the first step - I often think that is the hardest thing of all! :flowerforyou:

I was going to say the same as everyone else - setting mini goals is far less daunting! I see we're not far from each other, so do feel free to add me as a friend if you want!
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    I have a bigger mountain = 150 lbs to lose. Lost 38 so far. THIS IS A GREAT PLACE, hang out and stay a while!

I think of it as, this is my new lifestyle. Not much a difference between loss mode and maintenance mode. I have to change the way I eat and live and think . . . today, tomorrow, forever. It is not as though after 47 years, I can shed some pounds and change me. It is the other way . . . change me = and the pounds will shed.

Go easy on yourself. Don't get tied to a timetable. Work the process and success will come. I promise it will. This system works. And support is part of the system. Feel free to add me as a friend.

Welcome!
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 298 Member
    Here's the good news. Every pound you lose that "mountain" gets smaller. Don't get me wrong, there are rough spots for all of us along the way. You are not alone! Dive into MFP!
  • PJS323
    PJS323 Posts: 115
    You can do it! I started out at 289.9, and I took it one "decade" at a time. Once I was out of the 80's, I worked through the 70's, etc. It was am easier way to take it , then looking at the larger picture. Now I'm back in the '80's (185) and I look forward to the 70's. If I only focused on how much total I had to lose, I probably would have quit.

Good luck, you have nothing stopping you!!
This discussion has been closed.