Calling crossfit warriors

Options
I have found myself becoming a little bored of doing the same thing at the gym (mix of lifting and cardio). I've checked out crossfit and it seems pretty cool and fun and would be good to mix things up. Anyone on here tried crossfit, is it any good, how long until you noticed improvements?

Replies

• KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I’m a fully signed up cult member. I’ve done crossfit for 3.5 years now and can’t imagine not having it in my life. If you like constantly varied workouts and aren’t bothered about working towards any specific goal (ie crossfit is about being fit for life not achieving x,y,z lifts) then it could be for you. Check out a couple of boxes (crossfit gyms) see what the coaching is Like (they should be engaged with the class correcting mistakes, ensuring people aren’t lifting with bad form) the class sizes and the atmosphere. I love my box, I love the community, the programming and the coaches. But there are others out there not so fortunate.

I noticed improvements pretty quick. Some skills are harder to master and have only come in the last 12-18 months like HSPUs TTB and pull ups. I get compliments often on my body composition though and it’s improved my running capability significantly. As well as my ability to work through tough situations both in an exercise environment or at work or home.
  • klovesd84
    klovesd84 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed CrossFit for about 1.5 years, but I ended up stopping due to my scheduling changing. I’ve taken my CrossFit skills to a regular gym and I’m thankful for that. I loved that it was varied, challenging and the coaches told me what to do! I found it easier to just show up and go with it. I really found improvement immediately with my fitness level. It feels awesome to get personal bests frequently as a beginner. I was also losing weight after my babies and my body composition changed drastically, but I was also minding my diet. A lot of people also really enjoy the community of CrossFit. I couldn’t get into that as much as I really had to squeeze my classes into my schedule as a young mom, and was always running in and out of class. But they were a nice group of highly encouraging people. It was nice. Give it a try!
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I just finished my 9th week of CrossFit. I also do a Saturday bootcamp. One thing I noticed about 3 weeks ago was how much more endurance I have at bootcamp now. And how much more confident with the barbell I am getting. At yesterday's bootcamp we had deadlifts and I wanted way more weight than I would have before. Plus I wanted to be more challenged than the half as$ed lazy effort I have given at times.

The thing I like most about CrossFit is that your whole body gets a workout and you don't pick and choose what you work on. You walk in the door and do what is on the board. I cringe every time I have to run but it forces me to do the things I would normally avoid.

I have learned so much at CF. I love it!
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Try it! I love how it's always different workouts and you get a good sweat in an hour class.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    As someone else mentioned, if you don't have extremely specific goals, I say go for it! I absolutely love CrossFit. I've even gotten my mom and younger brother to join, because it truly is for everyone.

I've been doing CrossFit for about nine months, and I would say I started noticing improvements in about the first 4-6 weeks. I don't always notice the day-to-day changes, but I look back at where I started and am frequently blown away with how far I've come already.

Just make sure to find a gym with coaches who pay attention to form and don't just encourage going faster when form isn't looking right. If there's an on-ramp type program, that is often a good sign. Hope you enjoy it if you check it out!
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Ive done crossfit for almost 5 years. You get out of it what you put in.
  • ngagne
    ngagne Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Usually most improvements in crossfit is due to your confidence & good coaching/programming. Depending on your level starting, confidence in yourself, and competent coaching, I feel most see results anywhere between 1-6 months.
    I was doing crossfit for a couple years at a good gym & noticed results pretty quick. We moved & there’s only 1 CF gym here & they’re bad and I’ve actually been losing strength & skill for the pas year after coming here. Everyone raves this place is amazing (its all they’ve ever known, and it was helpful in getting them from the couch to the gym... but coming from CF to CF, it’s severely lacking) - point, so you really can’t listen to reviews. Go with your gut. And if the first place you try doesn’t do it for you, try another place. I strongly believe with good coaching & programming, CF is for absolutely everyone. (And you shouldn’t see my reversal of results ever. )
  • NSthingoldline
    NSthingoldline Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've recently started and love it. I kick myself that I can't go as regularly as I would like due to my work schedule.
  • theWODdoll
    theWODdoll Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing Crossfit for 5 years and a coach for 3. You never get bored and you always get better. I noticed improvements in day to day life: been able to lift things easily and helping people move doesn’t get me exhausted. I also cured my PCOS with it along with following their zone/paleo diet. Not all Crossfit gyms are the same so if you don’t get a good vibe from one gym, definitely try another before giving up on it