Petite and looking to lose 15lbs!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to MFP. I moved to the land of cheese and chocolate about two years ago and put on 20lbs since. I'm looking to reclaim by body and lose that extra weight, ideally for the summer. BUT, being a petite lady (5'0 and currently 130lbs), this really isn't easy to do!

I'm looking for other petite friends for motivation/ encouragement. Please feel free to add me!

Looking forward to meeting you all :)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Welcome! What actual challenges does being short and female give you when it comes to losing weight? I'm 5'3 myself and can't say it was that difficult.
  • swgswgswg
    swgswgswg Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2018
    Hi! Thanks for the welcome :)
    The main challenge is the low BMR that is usually associated with being smaller... eating only 1200 cal a day for minimal weight loss results feels pretty rough. I get really hangry and it's not so sustainable for me :(
  • kommodevaran
    Maybe 1200 calories is too little food for you - what have you set your weightloss rate to? If you go slower, you get more food. I agree that a balanced diet is crucial in order to not be too hungry. Are you in Switzerland? I'm in Norway, I understand there's going to be a difference, but it's easy to find good and cheap food here if you know where to look and what to look for. Do you have cooking facilites? Can you talk to the "natives" and ask them where they buy their fruit and vegs and other stuff? Do try to avoid cheat days, they can wipe out an entire week of calorie deficit. But if you eat more (balanced) on the daily, you won't feel the same need to cheat.
  • swgswgswg
    Thanks for those great tips! I am in Switzerland- I think you can get cheaper produce at local markets, issue is they're seasonal and close very early. But I'll ask some local colleagues for some tips and tricks, I'm sure they will have some information for me :) Plus I love cooking at home, so would be nice to make more use of the kitchen.

What calorie balance would you suggest? My BMR is around 1450 :'(:'( I set my weight loss goal to 1lb a week, but I don't think 0.5lb a week would make any difference (given 1200 is the minimum).

• kommodevaran
    Local produce is going to be seasonal, but that's maybe not what you meant? I'm sure there are shops that are open longer hours; or maybe you can do your shopping on your day off? If the markets aren't closed then, too, of course :# You will usually be able to find cheap frozen vegetables, and they are just as good as fresh, and a real bonus is that you don't have to stress about eating it up, you just take what you need and put it back in your freezer.

BMR is what you'd burn in a coma; MFP calculates your deficit from your NEAT (BMR+non-exercise activity) and encourages you to exercise and eat those calories back. 0.5 pounds per week is indeed going to make a difference on your tiny body, if you keep at it; it's also all you can expect to lose per week at your current weight.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    If you have only 15lbs to lose 0.5lb loss per week is ideal - that'll give you more calories to work with right away.

I'm 5ft 2 and I didn't find weight loss hard once I put effort into tracking my food and moving a bit more - I lost an average of 0.5lb a week eating 1700-1800 calories. (I had 20lbs to lose).

All the best :smile:
  • swgswgswg
    Thanks for all the help everyone! I'll change my goals accordingly :D
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,818 Member
    I realize this thread is a little old, but I’d like to use it to log/hold myself accountable.
    I want to lose 5# and have been having a very hard time at resisting temptation to eat foods that I shouldn’t.

The past 2 weeks I have been trying to write out what I am going to eat the next day and then, the goal is to eat that plan. At the end of the day, I’m to write down if I stuck to the plan, or not. And then journal my thoughts.

I’m 5’0” -5’1” (I’m not 100% sure I like to say 5-1! ). I am already at a low weight (105) - but over the past 8mo I’ve gone up 5# and I just want to get that off!!! I’d love to weight in at 102. I would be more than happy!

Anyone else wanna join me? Feel free -okay.
  • SherryRueter
    My 24 hour plan:
    1) B: fatty coffee
    2) L: we will be at the fair- I’ll probably try for some??? Hotdog(I’d love a corn dog! But should I??) or chicken strips. No veggies will be available. I’ll bring an Apple maybe.
    3) D: grilled hamburger meat. And peas.

4) drink 100oz water
    5) chest and Back workout
    6) walk 10,000 steps

If I didn’t stick to my plan, why?

If I did stick to my plan it was because:

One thing I did well today:

One thing I can do to make an improvement in tomorrow is:

• SherryRueter
    My 24 hour plan:
    2) L: we will be at the fair- I’ll probably try for some??? Hotdog(I’d love a corn dog! But should I??) or chicken strips. No veggies will be available. I’ll bring an Apple maybe.
    3) D: grilled hamburger meat. And peas.

4) drink 100oz water
    5) chest and Back workout
    6) walk 10,000 steps

Stuck to my plan above.
    Snack had apple ans caramel sauce
    Otherwise i stuck to my plan

If I didn’t stick to my plan, why? I wanted an afternoon snack and then maybe a little bit of sugar. I guess I should have listed something sweet.

i was flexible woth just eating what i wanted. But onky eating if hungry.

One thing I did well today: didnt have an after supper treat. Day2!!

One thing I can do to make an improvement in tomorrow is: plan on my 3pm snack, and have it be a treat(?).
  • SherryRueter
    My 24 hour plan:
    1) B: 1 egg/protein powder pancake with syrup

2) L: green beans and peppers and a pork chop. 2tsp coconut oil/oil.

3) D: might have a shake- maybe we will hit body pump?

4) drink 100oz water
    5) workout- piyo to start-it is rest day.

6) walk 18,000 steps

——-

——
  • SherryRueter
    Looking awesome @dangerousdashie
  • SherryRueter
    24 hour plan:
    done : 1) B: 1 egg/protein powder pancake with syrup

. Did. Not hit body pump

4) drink 100oz water - still working on

done : 5)) workout- piyo to start-it is rest day.

6) walk 18,000 steps: did not meet, i am around 11,000. My toe hurts

——-

If I didn’t stick to my plan, why? I actually have stuck to it. Very happy! And proud of myself!!!

If I did stick to my plan it was because: I decided to. Not going to fail today.

One thing I did well today: ate when i was hungry

Plan my food and stick to it. No bs excuses
  • SherryRueter
    My 24 hour plan:
    2) I bought a salad - I'm worried already about work. I want to eat only when hungry but I'm worried that I won't stop eating.
    3) probably chicken or burger meat. I promise to have 1c greens
    4) drink 100oz water
    5) my toes hurt from blisters. Worried about doing anything involving me using my feet. Yoga poses g
    Hurt. I'll probably work through the pain.
    6) walk 10,000 steps

Stick to my plan above!

• SherryRueter
    24 hour plan: sept 16
    done : 1) B: 1 egg/protein powder pancake with syrup

. Did. Not hit body pump

4) drink 100oz water - still working on

done : 5)) workout- piyo to start-it is rest day.

6) walk 18,000 steps: did not meet, i am around 11,000. My toe hurts

——-

If I didn’t stick to my plan, why? I actually have stuck to it. Very happy! And proud of myself!!!

If I did stick to my plan it was because: I decided to. Not going to fail today.

One thing I did well today: ate when i was hungry

Plan my food and stick to it. No bs excuses

After I wrote this I had some popcorn with butter and some butter and brown sugar and a protein bar. There, I did. I had stuff not on my plan. Why? Sore toes, worrying about my daughter coming home from college next weekend, tired of watching hubby watch football. Boredom. Maybe it's all bull.crap. I ate because at that moment my goal wasn't as prominent as my excuses. The desire to eat was more than the desire to lose weight. The desire to eat was easier in the moment. Am I proud that I didn't stick to my plan, no. I am proud that I didn't eat away too much. That it was limited. I really wish that for my supper tonight I would have said no to eating at 6 as I wasn't hungry. I would rather eat when I'm hungry, not just because it's convenient to eat.

• SherryRueter
    I failed Tuesday woth my afternoon snack : why- because when I recognized that I was not hungry- I chose to eat anyway.

What am i changing today : i am purposefully lowering my calories- will drink a warm liquid and take a walk.

One thing that went well Tuesday : i took a long walk before supper. I ate a small meal and i stopped as i was satisfied. I wish i could have skipped it.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I realize this thread is a little old, but I’d like to use it to log/hold myself accountable.
    I want to lose 5# and have been having a very hard time at resisting temptation to eat foods that I shouldn’t.

The past 2 weeks I have been trying to write out what I am going to eat the next day and then, the goal is to eat that plan. At the end of the day, I’m to write down if I stuck to the plan, or not. And then journal my thoughts.

I’m 5’0” -5’1” (I’m not 100% sure I like to say 5-1! ). I am already at a low weight (105) - but over the past 8mo I’ve gone up 5# and I just want to get that off!!! I’d love to weight in at 102. I would be more than happy!

Anyone else wanna join me? Feel free -okay.

Sherry, I'm the same size as you and I have to say, it doesn't seem like you eat much. You can eat a lot of food on 1200 calories (100-120g protein) if you are smart about it. Each of the collages below are what I ate in a single day when I was losing weight. I don't want to come off judgy...there are many different ways to skin the same cat and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. I realize that. Just wanted to provide a different perspective.

98k4v9yn0icp.jpg

l4krg5rweqth.jpg

Also, as you are already at a low weight, I would encourage you to look less at the scale weight and more on body composition changes.
  • TTurner5788
    TTurner5788 Posts: 4 Member
    Hiya feel free to add me. I'm new too x
  • RowenaUK
    RowenaUK Posts: 2 Member
    I’m new here and have lost over 70 lb on SlimmingWorld. I would love to lose a furth 12lb by Xmas as I’ve been going up and down 1-3 lb the last 10 weeks. I always write down what I eat but thinking maybe I need to be more mindful of calories in vs calories out to achieve my goal. Any tips, please feel free to share. Best of luck on your journey everyone x