Help I'm protein stuck..

Options
Hey guys I'm in need of your input. I'm having a bit of trouble with getting my protein macros to where they should be.... Do you have any recommendations for protein sources that are affordable and healthy...

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    The default macros are easy to reach with normal food, so have you changed your macros from the default? If so, how much, and why? A healthy diet is balanced, and you need enough of a lot of nutrients, not just protein.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    My split is 50c/30f/20p, and I too have always had trouble with hitting my 20% protein. I try to go at it with things like greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beans, or even occasional protein shakes, if needed
    OP, just curious to know..are you vegetarian or vegan? I ask because I'm transitioning more to a vegetarian diet, and that's when I really noticed my protein was lacking.
  • TheFlyOnTheWall
    TheFlyOnTheWall Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I had trouble reaching my protein goal too - I was barely hitting 50% of it until I saw a cheesecake thread in the recipes section with fantastic recipes that called for protein powder - I now meet or exceed my protein goal!
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I use a protein shake and make sure that my yogurts (Greek, quark, cottage cheese) are always low fat or fat free so that the macro count leans in favor of protein rather than fat. I eat a LOT of veggie burgers, as well. Boca makes good turk'y burgers and the vegan burgers are really great - something like 14g protein and 1.5g fat.

The protein shake I'm using right now is by Bowmar Nutrition, it's the Protein Hot Chocolate, and it's SO GOOD. They just released a Birthday Cake flavored protein as well. I haven't tried it, but it looks delicious.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I'm in need of your input. I'm having a bit of trouble with getting my protein macros to where they should be.... Do you have any recommendations for protein sources that are affordable and healthy...

What would make a protein source unhealthy to you? Do you have an allergy or medical condition that requires you to avoid certain foods?

Meat- less lean ground beef, chicken thighs, whole chicken, ground turkey, canned tuna are more inexpensive choices usually
    Eggs
    Cheese
    Milk
    Cottage cheese
    Yogurt
    Dry beans or lentils
    Peas
    Sunflower seeds
    Nuts