Dislocated Patella

Options
Hi everyone.

About a month ago I found out that I have dislocated my patella from back in the winter from an ice skating incident. After many months of not doing much exercise, I am going crazy. I do go for hikes and recently added 15lbs to my backpack. After talking to my boss (who is a doctor) said it would be alright if I do exercise using only body weight and avoiding bending the knee. I am looking for as many exercises for quads and hammies that don't force me to bend my knees (or at least more minimally). Any suggestions would help!

Replies

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I did this back in 2015. I’m amazed you are hiking already! I was on crutches for weeks and could barely drag myself to class.

It’s important to actually see a doctor about this & get a referral for physio therapy. Even one visit can help you figure out what’s safe and helpful.

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    You need to go to physical therapy. Full stop. Not doing so can lead to further issues which might require surgery to correct. It can also lead to you overcompensating with the knee that you didn't dislocate causing issues in that knee.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Wishing you a full recovery.
    My daughter was not so lucky when she dislocated hers. She also damaged ligaments and required 2 surgeries to repair. 6 years later she still has to be careful. She is still hyperflexible. But that is also believed to be part of why there was so much damage when she had the injury.
  • kiela64
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    My daughter was not so lucky when she dislocated hers. She also damaged ligaments and required 2 surgeries to repair. 6 years later she still has to be careful. She is still hyperflexible. But that is also believed to be part of why there was so much damage when she had the injury.

I’m sorry for your daughters struggles. I think it’s important to note that this is ongoing.

I will add to this - I have no obvious damage from dislocating mine, however overuse continues to give me swelling & pain. I’ve been told that just doing it once makes it more likely to do it again. The muscles and stuff around the knee cap are stretched out and can be aggravated easily.

It’s been 3 years and I’m still needing to see a physiotherapist semi regularly about flare ups. I wear a supportive brace when I do upright activities. Medical opinions and assistance are going to be necessary here.
  • aokoye
    edited September 2018
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »
    fishgutzy wrote: »

I’m sorry for your daughters struggles. I think it’s important to note that this is ongoing.

I will add to this - I have no obvious damage from dislocating mine, however overuse continues to give me swelling & pain. I’ve been told that just doing it once makes it more likely to do it again. The muscles and stuff around the knee cap are stretched out and can be aggravated easily.

It’s been 3 years and I’m still needing to see a physiotherapist semi regularly about flare ups. I wear a supportive brace when I do upright activities. Medical opinions and assistance are going to be necessary here.

There's actually a pretty high likelihood of an MPFL tear when one dislocates their patella. My ortho explained that the force that it takes to dislocate a knee is higher than that to tear an MPFL. From Acute traumatic patellar dislocation (V.B. Duthon, 2015)
    The strong displacement of the patella tears the medial stabilizing structures, and notably the medial patellofemoral ligament (MPFL), which is almost always injured in acute patellar dislocation, most frequently at its femoral attachment.
  • Reney_13
    Reney_13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @kiela64 It's been close to a year. The first few weeks I barely got off the couch! I'm waiting to see my bosses colleague who specializes in knees.

@aokoye Everything I've been doing I have consulted with my boss, who is an orthopedic surgeon. I have a brace I wear most of the time. I also have some stretching and strengthening exercises that he gave me. I'm waiting to get in to see his colleague to talk about options more.

@fishgutzy I've heard several stories about people dislocating their knee. From the sounds of it, mine isn't nearly as bad as everyone elses.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Reney_13 wrote: »
    @kiela64 It's been close to a year. The first few weeks I barely got off the couch! I'm waiting to see my bosses colleague who specializes in knees.

@aokoye Everything I've been doing I have consulted with my boss, who is an orthopedic surgeon. I have a brace I wear most of the time. I also have some stretching and strengthening exercises that he gave me. I'm waiting to get in to see his colleague to talk about options more.

@fishgutzy I've heard several stories about people dislocating their knee. From the sounds of it, mine isn't nearly as bad as everyone elses.

I’m glad to hear you’re going through proper channels! I do continue to recommend physiotherapy though. Mine was 3 years ago, and I had apparently no injured ligaments or anything and the knee still gives me a lot of trouble. I’ve currently got orthotics and a stretchy brace that helps, and also exercises to help strengthen and stretch certain muscles. And they will be able to help you figure out what activities are safe.
  • CMac06820
    CMac06820 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Keep this in mind .....You've done it once it will happen again unless you consult with and do the strengthening exercises.... From what I recall hiking is not on that list......Let me share this with you... I've had history (over 30 years) with both knees both the patella and the joints dislocating.....I woke up two years ago out of a dead sleep with my patella out of place..... Don't try to be all tough and think that its nothing...Once that patella is ripped out of its track it does damage that in time may require surgery...... Hiking in the middle of nowhere it slips out...You will be requiring the Forest Rangers or a FD to carry you out... Listen to your body... Don't push your luck
  • aokoye
    Options

Has your boss looked at any imaging of your knee? I should also note that both of my orthopedic surgeons (who are well respected, though I think one has a better understanding of patellofemoral injuries/conditions than the other) both defer to physical therapists for a lot of the "this is what you can and can't do." It's important that there be a team of doctors in cases like this, not just one.
  • Reney_13
    Reney_13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @CRM00068 Thank you for your advise. Certainly not trying to be tough. I was just so active before this. So I'm mentally struggling not doing anything

@aokoye Yes he looked at my CT and MRI. No tears and no cartilage damage. He said I had a very healthy amount of cartilage. I'm hoping to get into this colleague soon so I can get a referral to physio and see what we can do.
  • aokoye
    Options
    @CRM00068 Thank you for your advise. Certainly not trying to be tough. I was just so active before this. So I'm mentally struggling not doing anything

@aokoye Yes he looked at my CT and MRI. No tears and no cartilage damage. He said I had a very healthy amount of cartilage. I'm hoping to get into this colleague soon so I can get a referral to physio and see what we can do.

Awesome. Good luck with the PT and such.