Gained 1 kg :(

Options
Hard to stay motivated. I've quit alcohol 4 weeks ago and started counting calories. I use a scale to weigh my food. I started excercises. Lost 4 kilo in 4 weeks but last week I started to gain weight again :/ What's wrong..

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    last week I started to gain weight again

What do you mean by that?

Weight can fluctuate by up to two kilos due to water retention. Just keep doing the right things, the scale will go up and down on a regular basis. Just look at the general trend. Perfectly normal.
  • sjoerd1966
    sjoerd1966 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Perfectly normal.

I knew that fluctuation is normal. But I found 1 kilo quite a lot. That made me doubt.

• cmriverside
    Options
    sjoerd1966 wrote: »
    Perfectly normal.

I knew that fluctuation is normal. But I found 1 kilo quite a lot. That made me doubt.

Keep doing the right things, it's going to drop back off.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    A friend says- We eventually get the WI we deserve. But not necessarily when we expect it.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    You lost 4kg in 4 weeks. That's 2.2lbs a week. It may be that your body is settling into a slower rate of loss, so you might start losing a pound a week instead of 2.2. As cmriverside advises, your weight is going to fluctuate, because that's how our bodies work. So don't worry. The weight will come off if you keep going, just maybe not as fast as it initially did.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    A friend says- We eventually get the WI we deserve. But not necessarily when we expect it.

True that.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    It gets emotional when the weight doesn't come off when you want or like it did. You just have to try and be logical that if you're eating less and more healthy foods, and moving more.. you are eventually going to get smaller and more fit.. especially over time.

So many get discouraged if it doesn't happen quick and in tune with their wants and desires. That's just the self saboteur inside trying to take over.

You've done a great job getting started.. stick with your plan ... if you keep gaining,... look at everything you are eating and drinking ,...and try to figure it out. It is a puzzle and a process a journey. You can do this!!!
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the numbers on the scale don't follow the same math that weight loss does. Plenty of everyday things can make your weight fluctuate a kg or two, such as sodium, water intake, and hormones. Even the amount of material in your digestive tract changes every day. So use your logic - if you know you ate in a deficit then it will eventually show up on the scale. Make sure you're drinking lots of water, especially on a day that you've had more sodium than normal, and weigh your food as much as possible in order to ensure accurate calorie counts.
  • sjoerd1966
    Options
    Thank you for all the supportive comments. I'll stick with the plan. I think indeed it's a puzzle I need to solve. Biggest struggle is how to deal with the continuous hunger feeling. It's more difficult than I expected. MFP calculated 1850 kcal per day for me to loose weight. I try to divide those 1850 kcal over the whole day. Still I have a constant hunger :#
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    My scale went up by 800 g from yesterday morning. I didn't go #2 yesterday, though, and had a pretty poor dietary day with plenty of sodium, which all explains the weight gain. Knowing that, I don't stress about weight anymore.

Do you use a weight trending app? I use Happy Scales, and it really helped me to put things in perspective.
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Thank you for all the supportive comments. I'll stick with the plan. I think indeed it's a puzzle I need to solve. Biggest struggle is how to deal with the continuous hunger feeling. It's more difficult than I expected. MFP calculated 1850 kcal per day for me to loose weight. I try to divide those 1850 kcal over the whole day. Still I have a constant hunger :#

Woah, 1850 cals would be a dream come true! To get that many, I have to exercise a whole lot every day. My daily calories are at 1380 ...
  • sjoerd1966
    edited September 2018
    Options

Woah, 1850 cals would be a dream come true! To get that many, I have to exercise a whole lot every day. My daily calories are at 1380 ...

MFP calculated I would normally need 2300 kcal and in order to lose weight I should max take 1850 kcal. With 1380 I would probably die of starvation in a week or so :) I'm trying to stay 100-150 kcal under my max kcal and I do my daily exercises which I don't add to my daily kcal.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    1kg gain is not to fluctuate by, I can fluctuate up to 2kg even at maintenance weight. Sounds like a normal fluctuation you're having.
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Do you crave sugar? This can happen after absense of alcohol. There are lots of healthy sugar recipes to try containing fruit. Blueberries are a good snack.
  • sjoerd1966
    Options
    Do you crave sugar? This can happen after absense of alcohol. There are lots of healthy sugar recipes to try containing fruit. Blueberries are a good snack.

Yes, it's probably sugar craving. I already eat a lot of fruit and it helps a small bit. But I do keep this craving more a less all day. I wonder how long it takes before that gets less annoying.
  • cmriverside
    edited September 2018
    Options

Yes, it's probably sugar craving. I already eat a lot of fruit and it helps a small bit. But I do keep this craving more a less all day. I wonder how long it takes before that gets less annoying.

I quit drinking several years ago after drinking way too much for a couple years. It was probably 4-6 months for me before the urge became less insistent. Didn't matter, I had the urges but I didn't drink.

It takes as long as it takes for the urge to drink to go away. I'm years out from my last drink, but I still have associations with certain things like celebrations or sunny beach days etc. I don't think that goes away entirely. I didn't drink for well over a decade in my thirties and forties and I still thought about it now and then.

The associations fade in time, but I also actively tell myself that I don't drink and that I won't change my mind on that. I acknowledge the thought, but I don't invite it in for tea. I shut the door in its face, essentially.

If you were using it to self-medicate anxiety, trauma or depression that's a whole other ball of wax and may take professional or at least different strategies.
  • sjoerd1966
    Options
    I quit drinking several years ago after drinking way too much for a couple years. It was probably 4-6 months for me before the urge became less insistent. Didn't matter, I had the urges but I didn't drink.

Same here however I don't crave alcohol. It is the opposite to my surprise. But my sugar craving will probably have to do with it.

• cmriverside
    edited September 2018
    Options

Same here however I don't crave alcohol. It is the opposite to my surprise. But my sugar craving will probably have to do with it.

ooooh. :lol:

yeah, I ate a lot of carbs/sugar in the first six months after giving up alcohol. Pretty common. I guess for a lot of us you could substitute "sugar" for "alcohol" in my previous post.

*note to self. Read carefully before replying* :blush: Oh well. No harm done...(?)
  • sjoerd1966
    Options

*note to self. Read carefully before replying* :blush: Oh well. No harm done...(?)

I got your point. And I do think the craving for sugar is related to me quit drinking B)