How ti increase protein component

Options
Hi

I m vegan.

How can i increase protein content in my diet.. Please check my food diary..

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You would have to open your diary first.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed, but some good plant-based sources of protein are tempeh, tofu, seitan, soy dairy substitutes (like milk or yogurt), beans, and protein powders made from foods like rice, soy, peas, or hemp.
  • dr_bhavin
    dr_bhavin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I opened my diary.. How much milk I can have. Protein daily requirements mentioned is very high.

Will milk also increases carbohydrates above daily limit..?

What should I cut down.?
  • sarithasudhakaran
    sarithasudhakaran Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Since you are vegan, you can take Edamame beans, lentils, black beans etc..but unfortunately taking more legumes will increases the calories also

You can check below useful link made by @diannethegeek which contains list of food items

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also/p1
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Your diary is still closed.

If you are a vegan who eats dairy or eggs that’s great because it gives you more options.
  • Letstrythissite
    Options
    I am vegan too, well plant-based, and I get my proteins from beans - lentils, chickpeas, .... - or tofu and tempeh and I didn't see any of these in your diary, I saw a lot of croissant, pizzas and sweet drinks.
    I don't know which goal your have, but your food choices are highly processed. Any chance of adding the VEG part from vegan, such as veggies, and I don't think a slice of tomato in a tomato-cheese croissant counts.
    Soy milk has protein so you should include these.
    I will open my diary so you can check what I eat. I have restricted my calories to lose weight so don't be as strict as I am , but it will give you an idea of what to include
  • MamaWatermelon
    MamaWatermelon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try looking into seitan. It has around 15g of protein and 0g of fat in 3oz
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Your diary is still closed.

If you are a vegan who eats dairy or eggs that’s great because it gives you more options.

Vegans don't eat dairy or eggs. I think you may be thinking of vegetarians.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,772 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks more lacto-vegetarian than vegan: Looks like there's dairy in there. Maybe ovo-lacto (+ eggs) even. That should make this easier.

I'm easily getting 100+g protein every day as an ovo-lacto veg on about your calorie goal, and sometimes even with room for beer and the other kinds of treat foods you're eating so frequently.

To be frank, your basic problem is that you're eating a lot of foods that have lots of carbs and/or fats, but hardly any protein. There's nothing wrong with carbs or fats, but spending all your calories on them when you're short on protein is a budgeting problem.

Here's what I'd suggest:

Every couple of days, take a look at your food diary. Find the foods that are "costing" you relatively lots of calories, but giving you little protein for those calories. Reduce or eliminate those foods, and eat something else you enjoy that has more protein.

How to find things that have protein? Personally, I like the spreadsheet that's linked to the thread below. It lists many, many foods in order by most protein for fewest calories. As some kind of veg-person, you'll need to scroll past a clump of mostly meaty/fishy stuff at the top, but as you scroll down, you'll find veg-friendly protein foods. Find a few of them that you like, and eat more of those, instead of the foods you reduced via the preceding paragraph.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Keep going this route - diary review, rebudgeting calories toward protein - gradually remodeling your eating, until you're getting enough protein eating foods you enjoy.

P.S. It looks like you prefer eating in restaurants and/or eating prepared foods. Eating simpler foods, and learning to cook a bit, will help you be more successful in this process, though it isn't completely essential. If you want to eat convenience or fast foods, start reading package labels and restaurant chain websites like a hawk, looking for packaged foods & menu option that you like, that better help you meet your goals more effectively. Same basic idea as above, but focusing on labels and restaurant's website nutrition calculators/lists.
  • dr_bhavin
    Options
    Very useful information. Thank u..
    Yes I am vegetarian and don't take eggs.
    Yes I m not into cooking daily.
    I prefer some ready-made available protein source.. Which I can take everyday.

Thanks and regards..
  • dr_bhavin
    Options
    I am vegan too, well plant-based, and I get my proteins from beans - lentils, chickpeas, .... - or tofu and tempeh and I didn't see any of these in your diary, I saw a lot of croissant, pizzas and sweet drinks.
    I don't know which goal your have, but your food choices are highly processed. Any chance of adding the VEG part from vegan, such as veggies, and I don't think a slice of tomato in a tomato-cheese croissant counts.
    Soy milk has protein so you should include these.
    I will open my diary so you can check what I eat. I have restricted my calories to lose weight so don't be as strict as I am , but it will give you an idea of what to include

How can i check ur diary