Recovering from eating disorder...NEED HELP!!!

Options
i was always on the heavier side as a teen, being 5’1 and weighing 135 pounds. my senior year of high school i developed an eating disorder and went from weighing 135 pounds to weighing 84 pounds in a matter of about 4 months. i am currently seeing a therapist and recieving some help but i have an issue. i only know how to gain weight and lose weight. i could really use some tips on what to eat/how to maintain my weight. please help.

Replies

• jv6856
    jv6856 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I should also add, I am currently much healthier and weigh 100 pounds.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Losing and gaining is easy, finding balance is hard. Join the Maintenance forum. We need more people!

Just one thing that pops out to me: Tips on what to eat. This is so wrong, and why so many people struggle with weight. You can eat anything you want, and because you can eat anything you want, that's what you'll ultimately do, but if you feel you can't, you'll eat too much or too little. A healthy diet is balanced and varied, which means a little bit of everything.
  • brandy_losinit
    brandy_losinit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have only managed to make it to a maintenance phase when i lost nearly 50lbs on atkins years ago. I gained all that plus 50 more over 4 years time after i realized atkins was bad for me, due to cholesterol and triglycerides. I think this applies to diet. On atkins, you add back 5 carbs a week and quit adding them when you start gaining again. Weight watchers adds a few points each week until you start gaining. I guess its the same with calorie counting.
  • kittycatmegz
    kittycatmegz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    From experience, make a meal plan for restoring weight. Stick with this and then this should be the intake that you end up maintaining at a healthy weight as your metabolism will adjust. I recommend looking into the MM guidelines which states a minimum of 2500 for recovery- weight gain AND life after weight restoration.
  • mclucas92
    mclucas92 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wish I could give you more scientific advice, but all I can do is share my experience. I started being able to maintain weight when I stopped focusing so much on what and how much I was eating. I listened to my body, and stopped keeping track of my food. It was a hard habit to drop, after recovering from an eating disorder, but it helped me to listen to what my body wanted. I’d eat when I was hungry, no matter if I thought I’d already eaten too much. And after a while, I learned that my body will be in a state of maintenance if I don’t try to regulate it so much. Now that I’m starting to keep track of food again (trying to gain muscle mass), it’s a weird habit to get back into. But I think your body is the best thing to listen to, not diet books or plans. It knows what you need, and if you really listens, it knows when you can stop eating too.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to gain weight