IBS Struggle

Options
Hi everybody! My name is Rachel and I was diagnosed with IBS a few years back. My weight fluctuates ALOT due to the pretty constant (tmi sorry) diarrhea but overall I've lost about 60lbs. Recently, like in the last three months, my symptoms have gotten worse and I started gaining weight again (not sure if it's actual fat or water weight or just swelling). I follow the FODMAP diet pretty strictly, so no gluten or dairy among other things. I've been feeling pretty sick lately and I was wondering if anyone had advice or tips or recipes to help?

Replies

• dukeofthedeck
    dukeofthedeck Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with Maxxitt, you should consult with your gastroenterologist. Constant diarrhea may be an indicator of something else going on with your body that needs to be addressed.
  • wein5dell
    wein5dell Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Hi Rachel -- I'm sorry to hear about your IBS issues. I struggle with it as well, but it's been pretty well controlled for the past year or so. I'm vigilant about avoiding my trigger foods: gluten, coffee, alcohol, dairy. I also take a small daily dosage of Lexapro, an antidepressant/antianxiety medication. I take 5 Metamucil capsules with a full glass of water before breakfast, and again before dinner.

What works for some people doesn't work for others. I tried following a low-FODMAP diet, found it too difficult and not particularly helpful. You might want to go back to your gastroenterologist for advice, since you say your IBS is getting worse.
  • counting_kilojoules
    Options
    I have IBS but I have both diarrhoea and constipation and everybody's experience is different. However, for me, I take a fibre supplement everyday which seems to help, I've also found that too much fat exacerbates my diarrhoea days. Stress is a big trigger for me but I haven't found anything to help with that.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Have you had a colonoscopy? I would request one just to certain it is IBS (though it does sound like IBS). I also agree about going to see a gastroenterologist.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I used to have terrible IBS but finally got it resolved. Honestly, I changed so many things at once that it’s hard to say what did the trick. First, I cut out all fried foods as fatty foods seemed to be the worst trigger. I cut out wine. Then meat. Then dairy. I currently eat a WFPB low fat diet and feel the best I have in years. Even better when I don’t eat gluten.

Do your homework on gut health. My symptoms started as a result of a nasty campylobacter followed by a lot of antibiotics. Consult a functional medicine doctor if you don’t get results from mainstream medicine.