What Heart Rate Monitor Should I Buy?

Options
I am looking to purchase a Heart Rate Monitor so I can calculate more accurately the calories I burn during a workout. I do not know the first thing about them.......when I look them up there are so many different brands and such a broad price range...I don't know where to start. I have a few questions below.

Are they easy to use?
Are they accurate?
What brand(s) are good?
I have very small wrists so I would need one that is not too bulky. Any suggestions?
For those that have them do you use them on a regular basis?

Thanks in advance for any advise and/or suggestions.

Replies

• pope369
    pope369 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too, so thanks for posting this question!
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Bump......I'm looking to buy one as well!
  • jkincaid0202
    Options
    Bump. I've been thinking about getting one too!
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 (if you are on a budget) or Polar FT60 (a bit more pricey but nice extras - I have this one) - they are the best ones for accurate calorie counts
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I'd encourage you to read through this post about HRM's - quite informative!

I do have the POLAR FT4 and have small wrists, it is very comfortable. I wish I had spent a few extra $ and gotten the FT7 model though, it just does a few more things that I would have liked. But - I hadn't read the above post before!

good luck!
  • thenewkarisa
    Options
    BUMP... I posted this question but no one would answer me LOL I'll check out those Polars
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Are they easy to use? Yes
    Are they accurate? More accurate than machines or MFP estimates
    What brand(s) are good? Polar (I have the FT4)
    I have very small wrists so I would need one that is not too bulky. Any suggestions? You want a model that has a watch AND a chest strap. Sizes are adjustable.
    For those that have them do you use them on a regular basis? Yes
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Polar FT4 is simple, easy to use, and pretty accurate. It comes with a chest strap which can get quite annoying, but you definitely get used to it and forget it's there.

Honestly, since purchasing an HRM, it's changed my workouts and lifestyle tremendously. It helps me stay within a certain heart rate, and I've lost a lot of weight with it (8 pounds in the last three weeks I've had it).
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have a POLAR FT4. It is a middle of the road HRM. I like it, and it does what I need it to do. My primary reason for getting one was the same as yours... to better understand my true calorie burn.

Are they easy to use?
    I've had 2 POLARS... both worked the same, and yes.. they are easy to use. Once you set it up with your specific user information (height, weight, birthdate, etc.) it's as simple as pressing 2 buttons to use it

Are they accurate?
    Not sure how to test this, but... I'm sure it's more accurate than the calorie burn on elliptical machines or treadmills. HRMs with a chest strap are more accurate than those without.

What brand(s) are good?
    I've never used anything other than a POLAR. I think it is a pretty popular brand that many folks use.

I have very small wrists so I would need one that is not too bulky. Any suggestions?
    I think most brands make a ladies version which is a little smaller than the men's

For those that have them do you use them on a regular basis?
    I use mine every time I exercise
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have the ladies polar FT4 and I really like it. Super easy to use and it can be used while swimming and it is highly adjustable so the watch should fit you no problem. It cost me 119$ here in canada, I have had it for over a year and it is the best peice of fitness equipment I ever bought. Worth every penny!!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    If you plan to get one of the GPS ones, go with Garmin. If not, go with Polar.
  • QuestForFitness
    Options
    I second the chest strap comment. you need one with a chest strap. it is far more accurate, still easy to use, and it isnt as annoying as you may think. i love my garmin, but if you're looking for not bulky you'll have to go a different route. they are totally worth it but DONT let expensive fool you into thinking you're getting a better product. you shouldn't have to spend more than 70 or 80 to get one that's just as good as my 300 dollar one
  • jenniefromtherock
    jenniefromtherock Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar RT7 on ebay for roughly 110.00 Canadian. It comes with a chest strap, if you are serious about accuracy t. his is a great model. I input my age, height, weight, sex. All that info makes a difference! I love mine!
  • jenniefromtherock
    jenniefromtherock Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar RT7 on ebay for roughly 110.00 Canadian. It comes with a chest strap, if you are serious about accuracy t. his is a great model. I input my age, height, weight, sex. All that info makes a difference! I love mine!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    New Balance N4 for Women.

Are they easy to use? SORT OF, reading the manual, and common sense where the manual falls short. Basic functions of a regular watch, so not too complex.

Are they accurate? Yes, I believe so. Comes with a chest strap which is so comfortable I actually did forget I was wearing it. It monitors your heart-rate all throughout your workout so calories burned should be very accurate.

What brand(s) are good? New Balance, and people always say Polar, except NB is more affordable, and basic for people like me who don't need anything fancy.

I have very small wrists so I would need one that is not too bulky. Any suggestions? This model is not bulky at all, you should have no problem wearing it.

For those that have them do you use them on a regular basis? ALL THE TIME :)

-Hope this Helps.

Edit: I paid 45dollars on ebay{bought brand new}, can get them from target as well.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I use the FT7 I got mine a few weeks ago brand new in box from ebay for $70 US. Love it very easy to use (just read the manual) It give me better accuracy than a cheap one I had originally purchased from walmart. I originally had the one where you push the button for it to read your heart rate and let me tell you when you are doing workout videos it is very annoying. The chest strap is cloth on the Polar and you dont feel it. Since you say you have a small wrist pay attention to the one you choose. They are all suppose to work for both male and female but they carry in the FT7 2 for women/small wrist and 2 for men/big wrist. I have one for big wrist and it does not bother me it adjust perfectly for me but if you think you may have an issue just make sure you pick the right one.
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 here. I dont workout or ride my bike without wearing it anymore. It is as accurate as they come. Cloth chest strap is comfortable and easily forgotten once you get moving. Love it!
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4. I love it. Amazon has it for 63. free shipping.
  • mandysmear
    Options
    I've heard that the Polars have to be sent away when the battery dies... is that true? Perhaps the newer models aren't like that. Insight anyone?