*FOOD SCALES*

Options
recommendations on a good food scale (what brand/where you got it/est.price)... go! :)

Replies

• KayaSamantha
    KayaSamantha Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • amyers35
    amyers35 Posts: 51
    Options
    oh & any tips on weighing if there is any that you wouldnt think you would need to know before you got it- but you surprisingly do-thanks :)
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    i honestly use a $5 scale i got at the grocery store.
  • horsepullerlovesme
    horsepullerlovesme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i got biggest loser scale 15.00
  • Jelleebean
    Jelleebean Posts: 212
    Options
    http://www.kitchenstuffplus.com/6597-KSP-Cuisine-Digital-Kitchen-Scale-Black.aspx

is the one i have. weighs in verious weight: gr, oz, lb. doesn't take up much room, and you can weigh on the surface or in a container... just put the container on before turning it on.
    wasn't super cheap, wasn't crazy expensive... and works like a charm :)
  • LexyDawn
    LexyDawn Posts: 113
    Options
    Mines from Canadian Tire... not sure if you are in Canada... if not, Walmart would be fine... mine was $17.
    Get a digital one.
    I was surprised at how much more accurate weighing makes things... for example a serving of baby potatoes is 5 potatos or 100grams. However, 5 potatos sometimes weigh 150 grams because they are bigger than average... so weighing helps you be a lot more accurate.
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I wanted and still want a nice digital scale. But, I got a pretty decent manual food scale on Craigslist for $10.

It goes by ten gram increments and 1/2 ounce, and a total of 2000grams or 4+ lbs.

I think If I had a digital scale that read to hundredths of grams, I might be a little more obsessive with it than I already am, so I guess that is a Craigslist NSV.

I think good advice is "anyone will do," as long as you are using the same scale regularly. Your numbers over time will all level out.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have a Polder digital scale that I bought at Bed, Bath and Beyond about 7 or 8 years ago and I love it. I think I paid about $20 for it.

My tip would be to use the tare (zero) button often. I put a container on the scale and turn it on then add food. I can then tare it and add a different type of food.

Second tip, use your scale to measure liquid items. I use it to add salad dressing to salads, peanut butter to my bread before spreading, etc. It's a lot more accurate to add these types of things by weight instead of volume and the bonus is that you don't have to clean measuring cups or spoons!

Oh, third tip, measure small items in grams not ounces. At 28 grams to the ounce, it's a lot more accurate.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    You definately want to make sure it has the feature that allows you to turn it on with your plate already on it and still say zero. The one my mom has (that she is buying for me for my birthday) you can turn it off each time you add something and then you can turn it back on and start over with the next item. :)
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Definitely get a digital one that has grams and ounces. You will find that you use the zero or tare button a lot! Mine measures 0.05 ounces which is wonderful. I felt like half ounce was not accurate enough. I can't remember where I got mine, but I would not pay more than $25 max for a food scale! If you have a bed bath and beyond nearby, check there.They always have those coupons for 20% off and they take expired coupons too.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I purchased mine at Wal Mart several years ago. It was probably $15. Not sure of the brand, but it is digital and does tare weights and weighs in ounces or grams. I haven't needed any other features than that. And it looks nice sitting on the counter, all stainless and glass. ;)

Tips would be to weigh your meats before cooking, same for pasta. And be sure to weigh your cereal and snacks in grams. I think that's more accurate, since it's a smaller unit than the ounce.

Great move to get a food scale! It will make a world of difference. :)
  • amyers35
    amyers35 Posts: 51
    Options
    I purchased mine at Wal Mart several years ago. It was probably $15. Not sure of the brand, but it is digital and does tare weights and weighs in ounces or grams. I haven't needed any other features than that. And it looks nice sitting on the counter, all stainless and glass. ;)

Tips would be to weigh your meats before cooking, same for pasta. And be sure to weigh your cereal and snacks in grams. I think that's more accurate, since it's a smaller unit than the ounce.

Great move to get a food scale! It will make a world of difference. :)

thank you for the advice! i measure things out when the servings are cups,tbs,tsp. but am hoping getting a scale will help me lose alot easier again like it did when i first started measuring. thanks for the encouragement :)
  • Belladoni
    Options
    Brand : Perfect Portions (Scale + Nutrition Facts): There is no better and more complete scale: $49.99