Replies

• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • cyncm
    cyncm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I make up soups alot. The one basic ingredient is to start with carmelizing onion by sauteeing in a little butter then continuing to cook on low heat adding a little water, repeatedly until soft and brown. And I often use barley in soup.

For chicken soups I start by making stock with the bones and skin from a rotisserie chicken. Great flavour!

One of my better inventions was tomato with turkey meatballs with a little Parmesan on top to serve.
  • deckhogan1
    deckhogan1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I make a crock pot of soup every other weekend. Right before we go shopping for the next two weeks. I just clean out all my vegetable drawers. Cup up the leftover celery, green onions, zucchini, whatever. I put them on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and roast. Meanwhile, I cut up an onion and some garlic and pop in a pan to cook down and caramelize. Then I combine everything with a can or two of chicken or vegetable broth. Add sour Cream or Cream. Blend it all with some stale bread or left-over croutons. Makes great soup and eliminates wasting veggies I would otherwise toss.

That's a great idea! I'm always throwing away vegetables and it's such a waste.
  • deckhogan1
    deckhogan1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    jmh561 wrote: »
    ...However, this recipe is an absolute disaster if your blender isn't sharp enough to turn raw cashews into cashew butter.

So true. I made a cream of mushroom soup that used cashews to make it creamy. I forgot we got rid of our blender so I had to use an immersion blender, but it just wasn't strong enough. The taste was great; the texture, not so much.
  • lbryans929
    lbryans929 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love soup! I like Budget Bytes dot com. All her recipes work. I like Chunky Lentil and Vegetable. I double the water and the lentils. https://www.budgetbytes.com/chunky-lentil-vegetable-soup/ Enjoy!