Is fruit in the afternoon bad?

Options

Replies

• hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have an apple every day on my long commute home instead of a bag of chips and a candy bar. Neither are bad but apple is better.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I get the hungries in the afternoon too. I stay on track much better if I have a small snack before I get home with an entire pantry full of temptation staring at me in the face. A small fruit would be about perfect.
  • peavy09
    peavy09 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Strawberries. Hardly no calories.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that, or can make any sense of that. It's after 1 in the afternoon and I just had a pear, it was AAAMAZING!!!!
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,256 Member
    Options
    Lately after dinner, if I’m craving something sweet I usually eat a fruit. Cherries, grapes, strawberries. I’ve had two separate people tell me that eating fruit late is horrible for you. I’m just wondering everyone’s opinion? Does it really matter on the time you eat fruit? Morning vs night? Why do people think fruit is bad for you?

It looks like you've gotten enough positive feedback on this. As long as it's with in your daily allowance you go right on and enjoy that fruit. I'm about to go to town on a delicious plum myself.

I would just add, when someone tells me something as fact, I tell them to show me supporting documentation from a reputable source. I will also investigate it myself.
    Inversely I will try not to give advice unless I have researched it and can provide a reputable source to support my stance.

• bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Timing doesn't matter. Just keep yourself in your macro targets for each 24 hour period.

Lots of people are successful with managing their weight and eating an overall healthy diet without even paying attention to macros.

Meeting reasonable macro targets definitely helps with satiety. You don't know the rest of the OPs diet so to eat fruit inside of a macro target I feel is good advice.

I must have missed where OP said she was struggling with hunger and needed advice on satiety?

She is craving fruit. Therefore her diet has not given her satiety.

satiety - the state of being satisfactorily full and unable to take on more

Maybe she is low on carbs which can cause cravings, maybe she is excess in carbs which can also cause cravings, maybe she is deficient in potassium which might cause cravings, we simply don't know. Therefore, I advised to stay within reasonable macro goals and I feel this is sound given we don't know the rest of her diet.

Actually, her OP says she's craving sweets, and she is satisfying that with fruit, which I think is an excellent strategy.

I agree.
  • Flexin74
    Flexin74 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Like many have said, it doesn't matter when you eat it if it fits in your daily caloric or nutritional macro parameters. Unfortunately I learned the hard way for my body type that fruit had other things I needed to stay away from or slow down on like sugar and carbs. I get it though. Fruit is good.