Honest opinions on my routine? Please critique!

Options
I'm getting back into the groove of things and would like honest opinions. I'm a stay at home mom who also (newly) works part-time. I work out at home using 15 lb dumbbells (if I had 20 lb - 30 lb I'd use those) and an elliptical and/or intervals outside. I'm trying to make a plan that is realistic and that will work with my new schedule.

Day 1 - Full body workout
Day 2 - 20-40 minutes cardio (depending on intensity, etc.)
Day 3 - Rest/light day (for example, cleaning and walking/playing with my son at the park, etc.)
Day 4 - Full body workout
Day 5 - 20-40 minutes cardio (depending on intensity, etc.)
Day 6 - Rest/light day (for example, cleaning and walking/playing with my son at the park, etc.)
Day 7 - Rest/light day/20-40 minutes cardio depending how I feel

My full body workout consists of:

Bicep Curl – to – Shoulder Press
Walking Lunges
Tricep Extension
Plie Squats
Push-ups
Hamstring/Glute Kick Backs
Bicycle crunches

I'm going to switch up these exercises after a few weeks.

*** What is your honest opinion? Is there anything that I could tweak to make better? Are 2 days of lifting-to-exhaustion enough? ***

Replies

• xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I like it

I like the 2 days of full bosy and then 2 days of general 20-40 mins cardio etc.

I think as long as you have 2 rest days it looks good.
  • Scoobies87
    Scoobies87 Posts: 379
    Options
    Looks good to me! Good strength and toning in there (as the cross trainer does that too) and good to have rest days too. Good luck!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,417 Member
    Options
    I'd add some more ab work. If I'm reading it right, you will only do abs two times a week and I don't think you'll get the results you want with that. Otherwise I think it looks nice and realistic.
  • QuestForFitness
    Options
    Are you doing cardio on your full body days, too? If not, I'd consider adding it. It would make those days a big longer, but I think totally worth it in terms of fat burn, endurance, and cardiovascular health in general.

Two days of lifting is plenty, if you're doing that high of weight. You may find that doing lower weights with more reps gives you a more sculpted (rather than bulky) look, but to each her own.
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think it looks pretty great too! And those days at the park with your son will help too for sure! I have a son (22 months) and I know those park days can be just like exercise! haha
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I feel it CAN work for you, esp in changing it up after a few weeks. Awesome!
    Those 15 lb weights can be killer on those triceps extensions!
    Have you tried this system before?

I've had a lot of success doing weight training 3x a week followed by 30 mins cardio (to really capitalize on that after burn) / Cardio for 1 hour 2x a week / then have 2 rest days.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options

I've had a lot of success doing weight training 3x a week followed by 30 mins cardio (to really capitalize on that after burn) / Cardio for 1 hour 2x a week / then have 2 rest days.
    Sorry - I use 15 lbs for everything else; however, triceps extensions I currently use 10 lb dumbbells. Good observation! I think I was trying to type everything out so quickly.

I don't think I could do the 30 minutes of cardio directly after the weight training (although I've done this in the past - pre-baby - and would love to) because I don't have the time right afterwards. I could do it later in the day but usually I cook supper then spend time with my husband and toddler.
  • abyssfully
    Options
    I'd add some more ab work. If I'm reading it right, you will only do abs two times a week and I don't think you'll get the results you want with that. Otherwise I think it looks nice and realistic.
    Maybe I could do some abwork on Day 6?
  • porksiopao
    porksiopao Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    To ensure full coverage of the muscle group, make sure you change up your exercise positions, for example, in addition to shoulder presses, your can add/change to shoulder flys (lateral raises to work the back and side shoulder) or front shoulder raises. Or add some floor dips to work the lower pecs + triceps. I guess my point is try to make your two full body workouts different from each other, as if they are really one long workout divided into two. I hope I make sense here, but good luck and tell us your progress!
  • porksiopao
    Options
    Abwork would be best after your cardio workouts, if you can extend 10 more minutes for just that.
  • abyssfully
    Options
    To ensure full coverage of the muscle group, make sure you change up your exercise positions, for example, in addition to shoulder presses, your can add/change to shoulder flys (lateral raises to work the back and side shoulder) or front shoulder raises. Or add some floor dips to work the lower pecs + triceps. I guess my point is try to make your two full body workouts different from each other, as if they are really one long workout divided into two. I hope I make sense here, but good luck and tell us your progress!
    In other words still have two full body days - but make the exercises different/work the muscle groups at a different angle?

I could definitely switch the abwork to the cardio days. Why is it best on those days?

TY for your input!!! It's really appreciated! You are always there to help =)
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options

Sorry - I use 15 lbs for everything else; however, triceps extensions I currently use 10 lb dumbbells. Good observation! I think I was trying to type everything out so quickly.

I don't think I could do the 30 minutes of cardio directly after the weight training (although I've done this in the past - pre-baby - and would love to) because I don't have the time right afterwards. I could do it later in the day but usually I cook supper then spend time with my husband and toddler.

Oh yes, I do know what you mean. I have a couple of kiddies running around myself and I babysit my great-niece in the mornings as well. If you can sneak in any cardio afterwards, it would be beneficial, not only because of the afterburn, but also because it helps reduce muscle soreness in the long run. Maybe you can do a 10-15 minute HIIT on those days? With your weight training days not being back to back, that would be perfect! So 20-30 mins weight training + 10-15 min cardio. Possible?
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I think you forgot the lower half of your body in your full body workout.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Oh!

Never mind... there it is. Little bitty screen on the mobile.
  • porksiopao
    Options
    Yes, same muscle groups on both days, but different angles/exercise types. Doing abwork after cardio ensures that all your muscles are very warm and flexible, allows you to bend more and not cramp up. Makes the exercise more efficient and allows you to push harder.

Always here for you!