Dining Room Rug

Options
Tracy9377
Tracy9377 Posts: 73 Member
I know it's off topic, but this is the only forum I ever go on ...
My family just moved, and our new dining room is carpeted with new carpet. That's great, except we have 2 little kids, and despite their best efforts, I bet you anything they will spill, drip, dribble, or drop some kind of food and or drink there at some point. I was looking for some kind of floor mat to put underneath which would look nice, but protect the carpet and be easy to clean. The kids are 7 and 9, so we are slowly transitioning the decore from "baby fun house" to tastefully calm earth tones, so those plastic mats with the cartoon characters and obnoxiously bright colors that go under high chairs are out. Any ideas?

Replies

• TrainerJulie
    Options
    A blue tarp?

Ok, Only Kidding! But I'm anxious to see what others offer as suggestions.
  • soknurdy
    soknurdy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you guys had the money I would just rip it all out and put in hardwood floors.. But then again I'm Asian, we seem to like hardwood floors...

Plus it'll cut down on the allergens in your house!
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Honestly? A rug over a carpet will ruin the carpet. I would invest in a carpet cleaner. I have a Bissell Little Green, and it got stains out that were over 20 years old (my hubby bought his grandmother's house).
  • Tracy9377
    Options
    A blue tarp?

Ok, Only Kidding! But I'm anxious to see what others offer as suggestions.

LOL! That was my husband's suggestion too!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I have a large area rug in my dining area. Not sure of the measurements but It's large enough that my dining table and four chairs fit on it.
  • Tracy9377
    Options
    If you guys had the money I would just rip it all out and put in hardwood floors.. But then again I'm Asian, we seem to like hardwood floors...

Plus it'll cut down on the allergens in your house!

We want to do that eventually. That's funny - I'm white and my husband is Mexican, and both of our parents ripped out their carpet and put in wood floors - they're gorgeous!