GPS App

Options
Hi! New to my fitnesspal! I am currently training for a half marathon, I was wondering if anybody uses a specific gps for their Iphones to track their miles. I'm doing it the old fashioned way!

Replies

• nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper and love it. Been using it for more than a year.

I am also in training for a half!
  • craig1768
    craig1768 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    http://www.sports-tracker.com/ has a great iphone/droid app that automatically tracks for you. If you have a bluetooth HRM that works with your phone you can even get an accurate HRM readout and Calorie count.

It uses google maps to show where you ran and keeps a dairy for each run (or cycle.. etc).
  • Newnanax3
    Newnanax3 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I use the Map My Walk app, there is also one for runner's to. I logs your walk, time, calories burned and distance. It's a great little app. Best of luck in training!!
  • mikibeth
    mikibeth Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I will try some!!
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    +1 for runkeeper I am a big fan!!

I have a heartrate monitor that integrates with runkeeper on my iphone as well.
  • nuttyfamily
    Options

I thought about ordering the HRM to go with it but hadn't heard much from real life folks using it. Is it a battery drainer for the phone?
  • ddboone
    ddboone Posts: 61
    Options
    I use the Map My Walk app, there is also one for runner's to. I logs your walk, time, calories burned and distance. It's a great little app. Best of luck in training!!

Ditto. I love the iMapMyRUN app.
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options

I thought about ordering the HRM to go with it but hadn't heard much from real life folks using it. Is it a battery drainer for the phone?

no it doesn't drain the battery any more than using RK alone does.

I wish that Runkeeper showed you the time you spent in each HR zone. They plot your HR graph and show you average heartrate. There are other apps that give you audible alerts when changing zones, and show you time in each zone.

Also heart rate doesn't work if runkeeper is in the background
  • rairye
    rairye Posts: 27
    Options
    RunKeeper or Noom
  • gibbonm
    gibbonm Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use "Imapmyrun.com"

It talks to you every km/ml tells you your pace and speed, and you can challenge friends/routes, it also shows you the route at the end, i wouldn't run without it, its invaluable.

All the others mentioned above may also do this or may even be better, but i haven't tried them. download them all, see which you prefer.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I really dislike runkeeper. Distances are constantly off by 3-7% for me (Sony x10). Doesn't autopause (I don't burn calories waiting at a traffic light).
    99% of the time I go the "old fashioned" way - watch + google maps after I get home. All the roads and trails I run on are there.
    1% of the time, and all the time on the bike, I use My Tracks. Autopause isn't great (running time is usually between 2-5% off, but good on the bike), distance is good too - I've gotten within 0.01 miles over 26.

I do take it further though and export a gpx file and log in sport tracks.
  • nuttyfamily
    Options

no it doesn't drain the battery any more than using RK alone does.

I wish that Runkeeper showed you the time you spent in each HR zone. They plot your HR graph and show you average heartrate. There are other apps that give you audible alerts when changing zones, and show you time in each zone.

Also heart rate doesn't work if runkeeper is in the background

Thanks. I think I may purchase a garmin instead of the add on for runkeeper. I imagine they will come out with a newer improved down the line but for now, just a simple garmin with no gps would be great.