Is fruit in the afternoon bad?

Options

Replies

• rsj7799
    rsj7799 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The "fruit in the morning" thing comes from the original 1960's weight watchers plan where they wanted to encourage people to eat a balanced breakfast and get the proper amount of vitamin C (a daily orange or other high vitamin C fruit was required) and other nutrients. Fruit didn't go with the suggested dinner meal plans so they wanted you to get it in early.
    This is where the banana as a "forbidden fruit" idea came from as well. They apparently weren't allowed on the original plan. New weight watchers lets you eat all the bananas you want ironically.
    But as many previous posts have said if you have the calories available for fruit, eat them whenever you like.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    If you want fruit, eat fruit. Any time of the day that you want it, eat it. There is nothing wrong with fruit.
    As to why people think it is bad, i believe most who say that are scared of the sugar. Fruit sugars come in a great package, along with fiber, vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals and water. It's a lot more nutritious than most foods people eat.
  • instr111
    instr111 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As long as it part of your nutrition plan, then time of day means nothing - I like nothing better than a handful of grapes in the evening
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    For me, no it doesn't matter when I eat fruit (I just need to watch and make sure I don't eat 3 servings worth haha!) plus, fruit even if I go overboard, is way better for me than the ice cream hubby eats....
  • AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    AgentFlex wrote: »
    Honesly, people in the afternoon are probably worse for you than fruit.

Cannibalism is bad in the morning and evening too.

Hahahahaha, noooooo I meant having to interact with humans vs. eating delicious fruit!
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Only if it's been fresh :D
  • spamaram
    spamaram Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A bit of fruit never hurt anyone. I can't fall asleep if I'm hungry, so yeah I eat some fruit. If you know you're gonna crave it later in the afternoon, just alter the rest of your diet so you don't eat above your calorie limit.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    SO BAD! 😱
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Fruit at night is good for you. Chocolate cake and ice cream is good for you. As long as you have the room in your eating plan, proceed. (Typically, of course, the fruit will be far easier to manage in your calorie allotment). But if you don't, don't.