WHAT TO DO???? EXERCISE OR FAMILY AND FRIENDS

Options
Ok so here is the deal ... I used yesterday as my rest day!!!! because work and school were crazy and I had absolutely no time to fit in my workout.... but as we have said life happens and today is my mother-in-law's b-day .... and I have no idea what to do...If I go over to her house for cake (of course without eating any) then I won't have any time to work out since then I have to head overtonight school and after that get homework and work done...

SO... WHAT SHOULD I DO?????????' GO TO THE GYM OR TO MY IN-LAW'S????

and by te way... can sacrificing too much of your personal life to go to the gym actually be counter productive???? will I start resenting the exercise at some point??? am I obsessing????

Replies

• megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    It's only two days this week. Its a special occasion, go for the family :)
  • bigdizzawg
    bigdizzawg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    gym, and be late to the in-laws
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    personally ld say never to sacrifice family time for workout time. yes, working out is important. but family is even more important. and if your keeping with your diet needs theres no reason you cant enjoy some family time without regrets!
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Lol girl relax! Striking a balance is ABSOLUTELY necessary. Go for the family. You can even have a few bites of cake (BITES). Perhaps you eat a bit less tomorrow. I bet you can find time to take a 15-30 minute walk, too. No worries, weeks like these happen. Every day's a new day :D
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Go with family it is only 2 days like what meg said it wont hurt you.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Same dilemma for me - like to see friends around 3 times a week - gym currently closes at 10pm. Tried to forgo friends tonight for gym but got an attack of the guilts and went to friends, which means I have to go tomorrow and Friday instead, don't like two days in a row....yuck!
  • soknurdy
    soknurdy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I vote for a shortened workout then going to the in-laws also.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Do the in-law thing. Do you live in a neighborhood where you can walk? No matter how busy a day I have, I manage to walk at least 20 minutes. Most days I do more but even on a bad day 20 minutes makes me feel like I've accomplished something.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Family comes first, get someone to go for a walk with you while you are there. 'quality visit'
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    How much do you like your mother in law and how important is it to your husband that you go???

bump I'm interested in what other's think.
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    gym! :))
  • misslissa555
    misslissa555 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Family! Family! Family! :)
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    How much do you like your mother in law and how important is it to your husband that you go???

bump I'm interested in what other's think.

LoL
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    can you walk or ride your bike to your mother in laws, or park a bit further away and walk 20 minutes to and from?
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Bike to the in-laws or get your hubby to drop you off a few blocks from their house and walk the rest of the way!!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,430 Member
    Options
    Family. Work out extra hard tomorrow.
  • Sparrow_Feet
    Sparrow_Feet Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I vote for a slight compromise. You need to do what makes you happy and achieving your goals will make you a much happier person, with so much more to give. You can go round to your family after your shorter workout. They should understand the journey that you are on and respect you for it.
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Ok so here is the deal ... I used yesterday as my rest day!!!! because work and school were crazy and I had absolutely no time to fit in my workout.... but as we have said life happens and today is my mother-in-law's b-day .... and I have no idea what to do...If I go over to her house for cake (of course without eating any) then I won't have any time to work out since then I have to head overtonight school and after that get homework and work done...

SO... WHAT SHOULD I DO?????????' GO TO THE GYM OR TO MY IN-LAW'S????

and by te way... can sacrificing too much of your personal life to go to the gym actually be counter productive???? will I start resenting the exercise at some point??? am I obsessing????
    Why not invite her out for a bonding walk after the cake? At least you'd get some movement in!

I found that living healthy IS a true "change in lifestyle". Some family and friends will be on board, completely supportive, etc. Others might actually resent you for bettering yourself (these are usually the people who aren't ready to tackle their insecurities yet). So yes, relationships ARE bound to change during this process. That doesnt' mean that new or deeper relationships won't form. You might bond with some people who are working on their health too! You may find your friends are down for going on a hike or a "walk and talk" (which is AMAZINGLY insightful), but those you only used to go to bars with may fade into the background if you're watching your calories and don't go out anymore. Basically, once you lose things that you had in common, relationships tend to change. Some fade away, while you might find yourself drawn to other folks who share your journey. My best advise is to just take it as it comes, but do what is healthiest for you.

Maybe, instead of saying, "I can't, I have to go to the gym" you could work out a better time? Such as going to the gym early in the am? I know a married father of 2 who decided to change his life but wanted to impact his family time the LEAST, so he gets up at 4:30-5am to go running BEFORE going to work a full day as a college professor and department head! I know another full time working married mother who goes out for a 4:30 am run before her 2 yr old(?) gets up, and then she goes to work. She gets a 5k in every day and it only takes about 35 minutes. AM work outs also help keep me focused and I find I make healthier decisions and crave less crap during the days.

or, heck, invite your family and friends to the gym with you!

Or maybe cut the work out short so you can still get SOME in and show your in-laws some love?
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Your MIL has 1 birthday a year. In-lw relationships can be tricky enough. Don't cause hurt feelings. It's just 2 days this week. Maybe try to get in a bit of exercise here and there today, even if you don't log it. Run up and down the stairs an extra time or two or something.

can sacrificing too much of your personal life to go to the gym actually be counter productive????

I think it can. I think moderation and balance apply to exercise too. Being healthy is important, but so is family and having a life outside the gym. You're not an Olympic athlete (I assume) missing one workout won't have any major consequences, blowing off you MIL's birthday to workout could. As long as you don't start missing more and more workouts for less and less reason you'll be fine.