Paleo Without Gallbladder

Options
It has recently been determined that I need to have my gallbladder removed, not for stones, but because it is functioning abnormally low. I have an ejection fraction of 11.2% and anything under 35% is considered grounds for removal. While my diet is not entirely paleo, it is a good way to characterize my fat intake. So my question to the paleo community; have any of you had your gallbladders removed and if so have you had to make any dietary changes as a result? I have done some brief research on this and have gotten mixed information. Some say they had to make no changes, others say they just had to make temporary changes, while some others say they had to restrict their fat intake permanently. At this point, I guess I will do whatever my body needs me to do, but I was curious as to other’s experiences that have a relatively high fat intake.

I appreciate your responses.

Replies

• Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    Temporary changes for me. Nothing high in fat for the first few months or I'd be running to the bathroom (TMI but true). After my body adjusted to functioning without the gallbladder the food is a non issue.
    Had mine out in 2008.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    If you're having an organ removed wouldn't it make sense to have a diet that is gentle on the body and is well balanced?
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    my bf has his out & he can sit down & eat a 24oz prime rib with all the trimmings EASY!
    no changes for him. but when he has to go to the bathroom, he has to go! thats the only thing ive noticed.
    good luck with your surgery!!!
  • houzkat
    houzkat Posts: 78
    Options
    I had mine removed the day after Father's Day and I'm finding that fatty meals wreck me like Caperfae said. Doctor tells me this may or may not reduce over time. Also I'm eating really small meals all day long because the sensation of being full, especially if it's heavy food, makes me a little nauseated. It's worth it to feel so much better though!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    If you're having an organ removed wouldn't it make sense to have a diet that is gentle on the body and is well balanced?

I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at here, but one of the major points of the paleo way of eating is that it *is* gentle on the body by reducing inflammation and promoting a beneficial gut ecosystem.

To the original poster, I know that Robb Wolf has covered some stuff about the gallbladder on his podcasts, but I didn't pay a whole lot of attention since it wasn't a concern of mine. Have you looked in his archives? He has a topic index that you can download.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    the gall bladder stores bile, which emulsifies fat. You'll need to up your fiber intake and avoid fats. It's VERY important to eat low fat overall, but also pay attention to the amount of fat you eat in one sitting.

For example, if you only have 30g of fat all day, that's great. But if you got 19g of that fat in ONE MEAL you will probably be sick.

My mother had her gall bladder out 19 years ago, and her fat digestion has NOT improved at all. She still gets diarrhea if she eats too much fat. Too much fat combined with lots of caffeine, and she might even have an accident. It can get THAT BAD

Take it slow, and eat healthy, well balanced meals.
  • blondie_rae
    blondie_rae Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been eating strictly paleo for 3 weeks and was eating mostly paleo/primal for a couple of weeks before that. Have you considered going strictly paleo for 30 days and seeing if your gallbladder issues resolve?

I haven't had any issues sans gal bladder while on the paleo plan, but I also didn't get all the bathroom issues most folks say that experience post-op. I guess I have been very lucky that I have no yet ended up with any IBS symptoms despite having my gal bladder out in March.

If I had known then, what I know now... I probably would have committed to paleo eating for a while to see if I could reverse the issues with my gal bladder before having it removed.

Best of luck to you either way.
  • CelticChick2011
    Options
    I am sans gallbladder. I've been working up to paleo this past month. I've had NO issues whatsoever. The fats you should be eating more of in Paleo are the GOOD fats. Not fats used in fried foods. In fact, overall, my "functions" have been getting better overall since becoming a cave woman.