Squatting form

Options
Hi
I’m a 61 yr old male 73kg and 177cm
I’ve exercised all my life, mostly cardio with some strength work focussed on cycling
Recently (12 months) started weight training now on strong lifts (5x5)
Doing 3 alternate days but still doing a lot of cardio 6 hrs a week (part time spin and aerobic step instructor) I’m finding that squatting over 65kg my form goes any advice please tried reducing and building back up not sure if it’s a mental thing other aspects of stronglifts seem to progress reasonably ok
Wondered if squatting 3 times a week at my age is too much I.e. not enough recovery time ?
Rawdon

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Maybe?!?

Hard to say. I would strongly suggest getting a good trainer/coach, even if just for a few sessions.
  • Elijah8468
    Elijah8468 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try putting a bench behind you and taking seat . You can move the bench up if you don't wanna sit back as much. This helped me push my hips back as it gave me something to aim for
  • UKWildcatDave
    UKWildcatDave Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Are you doing 5x5 on squats? If so, it might be better to do the 3x5 or 3x3 options. Get the app if you don't already have it and you can select 5x5, 3x5 or 3x3. If your form is breaking down at 65kg then take some video's and post them in the Fitness and Exercise section to get help on your form. Bad form can definitely keep you from progressing and increases the risk for injury. Recovery at your age can be a factor.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Squatting 3x a week isn't usually the culprit for program stalls. Cardio has some weight of what us going on but not the entire problem.

You probably are best to move onto more advanced programming. One cannot just keep adding weight to the bar and expect to adapt every session. Hence the problem with doing a LP (linear progression) program. One needs to add more volume as a useful intensity while balancing & adapting to recovering to the heavier intensity/volume. Practicing form while in these ranges will help. A more well written advanced program will tackle these issues.
  • Grambo54
    Grambo54 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt squat 3x a week at 5x5, but saying that it really depends on your goals. Build legs only, or build everything together? also the intensity of your workouts and how many sets of the 5 sets you are working to the max. You need to keep strict form too or its not a matter if, its when you injure yourself. And the heavier you go at your age, the bigger the risk.Im 64. I dont squat anymore for that reason, and also cause Im lazy :smile: I Can do much the same other ways. Remember too that squatting takes alot out of you. You need recovery time not just for legs but the other muscle groups youre working.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    No "right" answers.

Depends on your ability and how much weight you're lifting doing squats and other things.

A common multiday squat/DL program is to lift variable sets/reps/wt varying from 2-3sets/2-3 reps at 85-90% max to 4-6 sets/5-6 reps at 60-65% 1RM max.

One of the weakness of SL is the "requirement" that you bump the weight up 5# everytime you can do 5x5 at a particular level. You will quickly plateau if you do this and will need to switch to another approach when you achieve this.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Yeah, I think it is too much given your age, cycling, aerobic step, etc. If you were varying volume and intensity you might be able to get away with it (intermediate type programming).

Wow, you're pretty hard core if you're bombing your legs for max 5x5 sessions three times a week and then also pounding them with cardio and cycling. Why don't you take on some ultra-marathon running while at it! :wink:
  • rawdon
    rawdon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Maybe?!?

Hard to say. I would strongly suggest getting a good trainer/coach, even if just for a few sessions.
    Maybe?!?

Maybe?!?

Chieflrg wrote: »
    Squatting 3x a week isn't usually the culprit for program stalls. Cardio has some weight of what us going on but not the entire problem.

You probably are best to move onto more advanced programming. One cannot just keep adding weight to the bar and expect to adapt every session. Hence the problem with doing a LP (linear progression) program. One needs to add more volume as a useful intensity while balancing & adapting to recovering to the heavier intensity/volume. Practicing form while in these ranges will help. A more well written advanced program will tackle these issues.
    Chieflrg wrote: »

• rawdon
    Options
    All thank you for your responses
    chiefly can you suggest any programmes ?
    Person I train with has asked what you think of Phul?
  • rawdon
    Options
    Apologies that was choeflrg
  • rawdon
    Options
    Chieflrg... bloomin predictive text
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    rawdon wrote: »
    All thank you for your responses
    chiefly can you suggest any programmes ?
    Person I train with has asked what you think of Phul?

"The Bridge" is a excellent transition to more advanced programming from a LP. It incorporates auto regulation with intelligent programming that prepares the lifter for long term.

PHUL? In what context? In general I feel it lacks some frequency for somebody who needs more stimulas and utilizes some lifts such as leg extensions, leg curls that aren't very useful. It might work for someone who responds well to training and isn't in need of the frequency which isn't the case more times than not.