Autoimmune?

Options
Anyone here dealing with autoimmune disease that makes it more difficult to lose? I don’t have a thyroid and I’ve had 7 doctors tell me it’s impossible. I call bs! I’ll find a way. Doctors need to stop generalizing everyone into one circle.

What are you doing to progress with weight loss, with AI! Can’t wait to hear inspirational stories!

Replies

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Which one do you have....hoshimotos or graves?
    I had graves and had thyroid removed as a teenager. I take a replacement med. Also developed type 1 diabetes which is also autoimmune.
    No...not impossible but takes work. I have lost 27lbs. Nothing is impossible!
  • randielizabethwatts
    randielizabethwatts Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have hashimotos. As long as you take the correct done replacements you should be able to lose weight. But without medication I don’t know how you could. Your metabolism is almost non existent without your thyroid.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I have hashimotos. As long as you take the correct done replacements you should be able to lose weight. But without medication I don’t know how you could. Your metabolism is almost non existent without your thyroid.

Yes we all need a replacement med with a thyroid disorder along with regular lab work to track it.
  • irisgal1
    irisgal1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have graves and went through RAI treatment. I also have connective tissue disorder. Now It seems I'm developing Diabetes on top of everything else. Autoimmune issues are running rampant in my system. I need to lose weight and I know it's a hard road but I'm back on MFP to make the change and make myself be more accountable for what I am eating.
  • mybattle2006
    mybattle2006 Posts: 37 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Which one do you have....hoshimotos or graves?
    I had graves and had thyroid removed as a teenager. I take a replacement med. Also developed type 1 diabetes which is also autoimmune.
    No...not impossible but takes work. I have lost 27lbs. Nothing is impossible!

I have hashimotos with hypothyroidism and only 2 parathyroids left as the other two were damaged so they removed them during surgery. Yes I take meds every day for the rest of my life. Nothing is impossible. Love that!

• mybattle2006
    Options

Yes, on meds for the rest of my life. Never giving up! :smile: I’m Hashi/hypo for the rest of my life.

• mybattle2006
    edited August 2018
    Options
    irisgal1 wrote: »
    I have graves and went through RAI treatment. I also have connective tissue disorder. Now It seems I'm developing Diabetes on top of everything else. Autoimmune issues are running rampant in my system. I need to lose weight and I know it's a hard road but I'm back on MFP to make the change and make myself be more accountable for what I am eating.

I also had RAI as well as radiation (thyroid cancer). And I’m back too (took a break as my mom battled brain cancer and passed away in June 2018. I hear you about it running rampant. Liver is now affected here, so I am getting serious about taking care of myself. My mom would want that. ♥️
  • bethruschdonohue
    Options
    Hi! I was hoping to find someone else with autoimmune issues on here. I have hashimotos, RA, Sjogrens, asthma and can't remember what all else! :) Been following Dr. Amy Myers Autoimmune Solution protocol while trying to watch my calories and stay off gluten and dairy but it's tough. That's why I joined MFP. I lost a lot of weight but then was put on prednisone once more and now can't get the weight off. Started back on program yesterday and am looking for some support here.