Anyone here just ignore macros & focus only on calories?

Options
So many posts about how many macros, how to set macros, what is the perfect macro distribution. I too have asked these questions & I feel like the more I go about it, the more frustrating it is. I think worrying about macros is hurting my progress. Sometimes I stay under my calorie goal because I’m over some of my macros, so I don’t know what to do. Do I focus on my calories & forget about macros? Or do I continue trying to “balance” macros & calories even if it means going over macros to reach my calorie goal? I’m thinking of not even paying attention to macros & make sure my calories are where they need to be.

Replies

• WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    GeauxL wrote: »
    So many posts about how many macros, how to set macros, what is the perfect macro distribution. I too have asked these questions & I feel like the more I go about it, the more frustrating it is. I think worrying about macros is hurting my progress. Sometimes I stay under my calorie goal because I’m over some of my macros, so I don’t know what to do. Do I focus on my calories & forget about macros? Or do I continue trying to “balance” macros & calories even if it means going over macros to reach my calorie goal? I’m thinking of not even paying attention to macros & make sure my calories are where they need to be.

I just take macros as a rough guide and mainly go by calories. I'm losing weight too.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Calories are what matter for weight loss. As long as you feel satiated, are eating a varied diet, and are losing weight, I wouldn't worry about macros. The only macro I care about is protein. As long as I get at least 100 grams of protein and I stay within my calorie goal, all is good.

Edited to add that, IMO, it's okay to go over on protein and fat. Those goals are minimums for me.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to macros as vigilantly as calories but I do try to hit my protein goal most days.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I only count calories, and to some extent I notice if the fat or sugar goes red on the chart.
  • paigethurlow95
    paigethurlow95 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don’t even look at macros I just calorie count. I have lost 3 and a half stone just calorie counting so as long as I’m loosing the weight I’m not fussed about macros :)
  • GeauxL
    GeauxL Posts: 57 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Thanks, that’s pretty much my thoughts now. I’ll keep an eye on my protein goal because of my exercise routine, make sure I eat a healthy & varied diet, & forget about macros & focus on calories. It was frustrating trying to make those numbers match & really not even knowing why I was so worried about macros; Hell, I don’t even know if I know what a “macro” is or does!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    The only people who really need to worry about properly hitting correct macro splits are professional athletes as this will affect their performance. For the rest of us, it is very individual and depends on foods that most help us with satiety, the foods we enjoy, goals, any underlying medical conditions, and our customs and cultures. As long as we keep to the minimums of protein and fat (going over is fine) it really doesn't matter, yet seems to cause a considerable amount of stress for some.
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    That pretty much all I looked at, although I sometimes looked to see how the protein was doing, and bump it up. I couldn't care less when MFP tried to macro-shame me about sugar, fat or sodium. I tried to keep those out of view because they are irrelevant to me. Currently maintaining after a 82 pound loss and more healthy than I started, so I guess I didnt do badly.
    I found it especially hilariously when i would go over the protein and it went red. OH NOOOES! Too much proteins! :laugh:
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I watch both, because at my calorie level I probably would get enough nutrition if I didn't make a concentrated effort to know what is actually in what I eat.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I don't care about the macros. Sometimes I look back on them out of curiosity, and tend to hit pretty close to MFPs default macros most of the time without specifically trying to. Calories are what really matters. I think macros are important for helping you feel satisfied while in your calorie deficit, but the best combination for doing that is going to be different for everybody.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Calories are what matter for weight loss. If you don't want to deal with macros, just eat a reasonably nutritious diet that fits within your calorie goals.

The only macro I really even pay any attention to is protein, and I treat the goal as a minimum. I never have any problem getting adequate fats, and I just let carbs fall wherever they fall.

Exactly this.
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The only macro I sometimes think about is protein. I try to choose foodoptions which at least contain some of it. Other than that, I couldn't care less
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I almost never look at my macros.

Occasionally I check my protein, but other than that: Never.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I only have an eye on protein, and even that I go under sometimes without feeling like it's the end of the world. I try to get my minimum more often than not by prioritizing higher protein foods and planning some of them into my day in advance in the morning. I don't stress if I have something higher in calories planned and not all of my protein would fit, or if I'm simply not feeling like having animal protein today. I may or may not have a protein shake to compensate. It's just a relaxed watchful approach.

I never pay attention to carbs. As for fat, I only consider it when it's already evening and I'm too low on it but have calories to spare. In that case, I usually have ice cream or chocolate. If I'm low but no calories to spare, meh, I don't sweat it. It's just one day.

Basically, I don't exactly focus on macros, but I am macro aware.

ETA: it's worth mentioning for context that I'm a special case. If I wasn't, I wouldn't need to pre-log protein. My food preferences are as such that if I didn't watch protein and just ate a reasonable diet I would never exceed 40 grams per day and it would often be less, which is way too low for anyone.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I don't follow macros per se as I dont understand them enough but do aim for protein making up 30% of my daily intake. I eat lots of veg both cooked and raw and got very frustrated to see my carb ratio shoot up just because I had a big plate of veg with my chicken! No potatoes or rice or pasta or bread!! Calories is easier for me but everyone is different!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    blobby10 wrote: »
    I don't follow macros per se as I dont understand them enough but do aim for protein making up 30% of my daily intake. I eat lots of veg both cooked and raw and got very frustrated to see my carb ratio shoot up just because I had a big plate of veg with my chicken! No potatoes or rice or pasta or bread!! Calories is easier for me but everyone is different!
    If just counting calories is easier for you, and having a steep protein goal and aiming to eat a lot of vegetables, while seeing your carb numbers rise, stresses you out... why are you doing it?