Parenting advice needed......

Options
rosemarymint
rosemarymint Posts: 132 Member
My daughter is 10 years old and the other day I took her over to a friends house to play for a few hours. I told her I'd be back around 5. Well, I did some shopping (30% off coupon @ Kohls hehehe) and killed as much time as I could and decided to just pick her up on the way by. ( I had no intention on going all the way home only to have to leave again in 5 minutes to go back to where I just came from) I was about 20 minutes early. She was pissed...wouldn't come into the house to thank and say bye to her friend OR THE FRIENDS MOTHER. She went around the outside of the house and got into the car. I was soooooo embarrased. Today I gat a call at work from a hysterical kid claiming that Memere and Pepere yelled at her for no reason. As it turns out my father was on an important call for about 45 minutes and my daughter kept picking up the phone to see if he was off. After a few of there times she came right out and asked when he was getting off. Then she gave them an attitude because she missed a call from her friend while my father was on the phone.

My point is...these little attitude problems are becoming more and more frequent. As well as the tantrum's when she doesn't get her way. ( I don't think I spoil her. I'm a single mom and I do what I can and that's it) I have never gotten any complaints from school ( I will be sending her teacher an email, though, to be sure) or anyone from her other activities, but I just can't stand it anymore and I don't want this to become out of hand. I also can't stand the complaints from my parents that are starting to happen. They are a great support system for me...thay save me money in after school care expenses, my dad drivers her to an early swim practice once a week, and she sleeps there 1 night a week because I have a late class at school. I would hate to lose that because of her "tude".

At first I was chalking it up to growing pains.....but I need to put a stop to it now. What have some of you done to quelch this kind of thing? Any tips are appreciated, and I can't wait to read your creative troubleshooting.

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• rosemarymint
    Options
    My daughter is 10 years old and the other day I took her over to a friends house to play for a few hours. I told her I'd be back around 5. Well, I did some shopping (30% off coupon @ Kohls hehehe) and killed as much time as I could and decided to just pick her up on the way by. ( I had no intention on going all the way home only to have to leave again in 5 minutes to go back to where I just came from) I was about 20 minutes early. She was pissed...wouldn't come into the house to thank and say bye to her friend OR THE FRIENDS MOTHER. She went around the outside of the house and got into the car. I was soooooo embarrased. Today I gat a call at work from a hysterical kid claiming that Memere and Pepere yelled at her for no reason. As it turns out my father was on an important call for about 45 minutes and my daughter kept picking up the phone to see if he was off. After a few of there times she came right out and asked when he was getting off. Then she gave them an attitude because she missed a call from her friend while my father was on the phone.

My point is...these little attitude problems are becoming more and more frequent. As well as the tantrum's when she doesn't get her way. ( I don't think I spoil her. I'm a single mom and I do what I can and that's it) I have never gotten any complaints from school ( I will be sending her teacher an email, though, to be sure) or anyone from her other activities, but I just can't stand it anymore and I don't want this to become out of hand. I also can't stand the complaints from my parents that are starting to happen. They are a great support system for me...thay save me money in after school care expenses, my dad drivers her to an early swim practice once a week, and she sleeps there 1 night a week because I have a late class at school. I would hate to lose that because of her "tude".

At first I was chalking it up to growing pains.....but I need to put a stop to it now. What have some of you done to quelch this kind of thing? Any tips are appreciated, and I can't wait to read your creative troubleshooting.

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • Coach1995
    Options
    That is difficult, usually I just take away something that is really important for my daughter, like right now shie is into the Nintendo DS, I have taken it away for 3 to 7 days but I usually get the response I want, plus I have the support of having a spouse and my mother so enforcing and support is easy to come by and the fact that I am 233lbs now and stand 6ft tall can be a little itimidating to any kid. But have to commend you as a single parent it is difficult. By know means am I an expert, but I always ask for advice also.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    cesar-millan.jpg

LOL.

My husband tried that. Didn't work. FYI.
  • rosemarymint
    Options
    I have done the taking things away in the past, but I'm afraid the only thing that would really hurt is her swim team. I would rather not do that, as it is a great workout for her, and I enjoy it, too. If I were to do that it is possible they wont let her swim in the championships. She doesn't have the swim team year round, otherwise I just might. I don't know, maybe I'm making and excuse on this one. I'd just hate to do it.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    remain calm. don't yell. ever. this is super hard but very important.
    explain ahead of time what the consequences of rude behavior will be. when she crosses the line, calmly explain that this is unacceptable, and remind her of the consequence she just chose. remind her often that she chooses the consequences she will experience. make sure to reward the good behavior just as vigorously as you respond to the bad.
    be consistent. 100% immovable, solid as a rock. if you tell her that mouthing off means no friends' house visitation for a week, be prepared to follow through, even through tears, apologies, whatever.
    it will take a while, and she will test the boundaries, but DO NOT CAVE.

this method has produced (cumulatively) 3 valedectorians, 1 top ten scholar, one nuclear engineer, one mechanical engineer, one attorney, and one soon to graduate who currently has a 4.5 GPA, all AP classes. I know grades alone are not the only yardstick, but it's how my family measures success. (teacher):blushing:
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    You deal with right when it happens. It's hard because we love them so much. Just yesterday my son age 7 cursed in school during lunch and he didn't tell me that he went to the principal''s office but his sister(twin) told me. I was pissed...I had him write a letter to the principle and apoloize. The first letter was a mess- I made him fix it. So he had to give his letter to the principle today, he is shy so he asked his sister to go with him- I was cool with that. He got home from school so I asked how it went- he told me he didn't give it to her. I got him to drop his school bag off at home and I took him to school to give the principle his letter. I wanted my kids to know that when you do something wrong then just saying sorry is not good enough. I would get your daughter to apoloize to your parent- take the phone away everytime she gives you attitude- do daily until she knows you mean business . I have my husband for support- you are by yourself with great support from your parents take charge because she is not a teenager yet...we all have been there...more attitude so try hard to lessen the attitude now instead of waiting later when you can't take control. Good luck.....I know I will have issues too so I am trying hard now to deal with attitudes. You are definately not alone.
  • CassieNic
    Options
    my younger 11yo sister is doing the same stuff. we are thinking she will start her period soon, because she has said "one minute im ok, then the next im sad/mad/upset, and I DONT KNOW WHY!!".

just throwing that out there. my oldest is 3, im not there yet.:flowerforyou:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    I have done the taking things away in the past, but I'm afraid the only thing that would really hurt is her swim team. I would rather not do that, as it is a great workout for her, and I enjoy it, too. If I were to do that it is possible they wont let her swim in the championships. She doesn't have the swim team year round, otherwise I just might. I don't know, maybe I'm making and excuse on this one. I'd just hate to do it.

imho, you need to be will9ing to do whatever it takes. even if it sucks. even if the stakes are high. especially if the stakes are high.
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I would not let her go play with her friends for awhile.. thats just me. My mom had the same problem with my brother. She took away his friend, and he was greatful when he was allowed to go play.. Mine is only 3.5 years old and has a tude.. She kicks and screams on the floor when she doesnt want to leave somewhere...she gets timeout.. it seems to be working
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I have a ten year old daughter - so I can relate! My husband goes to night school, so a lot of the time I'm on my own with the kids after work. My DD started cropping an attitude when she was 8, and we had "the" talk - I explained about hormones, etc. and what appropriate venues she can express her feelings, etc.

Also, I give her responsibilities around the house - I can't do it all on my own, and she pulls a lot of weight especially with the younger kids. I think having that responsibility plus understanding the changes her body is going through help.

I'm not saying she is attitude-free - by no means are we close to that - but I will NOT tolerate attitude problems in my house. If any of the kids crop an attitude on my watch - they get privileges revoked.

I remember one time I asked DD to do something, and she said, "No, I don't feel like it." I was like, you did not just say that to me! LOL. I calmly told her, "You don't feel like it? Sure - no problem. Then I don't feel like making you dinner, washing your clothes, taking you places, or picking you up after school. You figure it out." And I turned around to leave the school. You better believe she turned her attitude around real fast.

There's not going to be one way that works all the time. Since it is just the two of you in your household (maybe I'm wrong, but that's the impression I have) - I would sit down and have a heart-to-heart with your DD. At 10 years old, kids don't always understand what other people are feeling/thinking and need help with empathy. I would tell her something like, "We are a team - it's you and me, and I need your help, etc." Give her some responsibilities, and reward her for good behaviors - make sure you enforce consequences for inappropriate behavior (taking away phone would be a good one.)

Finally - this too will pass!! Hugs. :flowerforyou:
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the one to tell you this but it doesn't get any better.My oldest daughter is 14 and she has attitude most of the year.I just have to continue on a daily basis to set her straight and she stops for awhile and then a week or two later we are back at square one.Bottom line parenting isn'teasy and especially in your case being a single parent.You just have to do the best you can .I know that if my daughters get out of hand I set them straight really fast.I either take things away ,ground them from places they like to go ,whatever works.Your in charge and you have to remind her of that all the time.Especially now when she is walking into pre-teen hood lol.Do you think she may be getting ready to start her monthly visit?I know I started when I was 10 so its possible she could be going through puberty,but it still doesn't give her the right to be snotty or give attitude.But deal with the issue promptly when it happens ,I have learned tat the longer I let it go the worse it gets.Just calmly explain to her what is going to happen if she continues this type of behavior.Its a working progress that can make you crazy .And I agree with Lucky on this one that you need to be consistent with the consequences.Stay solid and don't cave,eventually she will figure out your not joking about this,and her behaviors should improve.You are definitely just at the beginning of it.Teenagers are a whole new world.I hope this helps
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    We have a no tolerence policy at our house. If I have a daughter that gets snippy with me or gives me additude, they are instantly corrected, then are given a chore or have a privalige taken away. One day my 12 and 10 yr old were arguing and I told them "since you are having a hard time getting along, you both can go and work together on sweeping the kitchen floor. Then we'll see if you can get along better. If you can't we'll have to find other group projects for you to do." That usually takes care of that.

If my daughter was rude and wouldn't go in to say good-bye and thanks. I would make her. I would say "I'm sorry I'm early and I know that makes you mad, but you still need to have good manners to your friend. You need to go inside and tell them good-bye and thanks." If she says "No". Say "you don't understand, I wasn't asking you, I was telling you, and we won't leave until you go in" If she still says No. Tell her that It would be aweful embarassing for you to drag her in, but she has a choice walk in like an adult or be carried like a child. And if she makes you carry her in. It will be the last time.

The main thing is to stop the behavior right away and always be consistant and always follow through on what you say. If you tell her no TV, then No TV. If she's grounded then no exceptions. If you give in once you will always have battles.
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'd agree terms of punishment with her whilst you're both calm. Maybe even get her to suggest what she thinks is fair. That way, when she does get punished, it's on terms she's agreed to. Also, try and keep punishments close to the actual time of the misbehaviour. For example, don't revoke a priviledge that's a few weeks off. By the time it rolls round, she'll only remember that she's not allowed to go, not what she did to cause the ban. Or you'll cave, because it was a while back, and there's no lesson learned. It took me and my mum some time to get there, but once we hit these tactics, we got on so much better!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options

imho, you need to be will9ing to do whatever it takes. even if it sucks. even if the stakes are high. especially if the stakes are high.

you don't have to take away the whole thing, just something like "I'm offended that you spoke to me disrespectfully. Instead of going to swim team practice today, you will be (fill in here with a chore she dislikes)" this sends a clear message that you will do what you must to keep her in line. and telling her that you are offended, or your feelings were hurt, or whatever applies, is important so that she starts to realize that she is not the center of the universe. you have feelings too.
  • beagle595
    Options
    I have 2 young boys... My son now 4 yrs old was acting out because his 3 yr old younger brother at the time had 6 therapists coming to the house and he was lacking attention. My youngest has Autism. I tried on my 4 yr old Time out, one slap on the butt ... nothing was working... (*And I felt so guilty, it was breaking my heart/ he didn't understand). My Son with Autism Psychologist taught me the rewards system. I put 6 smiley faces on a piece of paper and hung it up. 3 smiley faces for before lunch, and 3 smiley faces for time period between lunch and bedtime.
    If he was bad I would give him one warning and if he persisted he had to cross out one smiley face himself. If he had at least one smiley face left from the morning he got a reward... piece of gum, watch a cartoon etc... And a treat after dinner if he had a smiley face left from the second half of the day. I would keep track of all the smiley faces earned and after a couple of days or even a week if he earned 20 smiley faces from being good he won a Happy Meal etc... I only had to use this system for 2 weeks... (**My son's Psychologist also said any child under the age of 2 sometimes doesn't understand time out, so one slap on the butt or hand is perfectly fine.)
    Now for your daughter you can put her on a points system. She has to have points left at the end of the day to have phone privileges, time with her friends etc... I have a girlfriend who has a 16 yr old and started using the point system and it's working... She cuts out the minutes on her cell phone and nights out with her friends if she loses all her daily points. Your daughter can earn points back also by , cleaning her room, helping with dishes etc... Talks back to you, lose points... interrupts someone loses points... YOU HAVE CONTROL NOT HER. Good luck!
    (I was raised with being told once.. or you got a slap in the teeth.. That only happened once. I made the honor roll ever year in school, raised with manners, etiquette, morals etc.. . My parents did something right. Too many parents try to be their kids friend, and or are afraid of them.. Take control back):wink::flowerforyou: :smile:
  • verifire
    Options
    i'm not a parent, but my parents did a great job with all my siblings, and i had to handle many of the same attitude issues as a high school teacher. your daughter probably didn't come up with this act on her own; friends, schoolmates, and characters in movies and on tv all give the impression that it's ok to behave that way.

my parents used the the two-pronged approach:
    1) righteous anger
    2) punishment

righteous anger involved them actually being very angry, embarrassed, or disappointed, although they didn't yell. this can be shown by refusing to listen to the radio, or refusing to have a normal conversation. i think this is helpful, because it shows a kid that what they've done is not normal and acceptable, but has been hurtful or rude. being explicit about why you are angry helps too: "I am embarrassed that after Mrs. X let you come to her house for three hours you acted like a two-year-old and were so rude to her. If this is how you're going to behave, I can't let you go to friends' houses." your child should have no "magic words" to make you snap out of being angry. Being sorry is good, but the real time to be sorry is before you decide to be rude.

usually, anger was punishment enough, but if not, punishments were in order. the most important thing about punishing (i learned from being a teacher) is that you must follow through. never threaten something you don't intend to do, and never impose too harsh a punishment that you won't want to actually carry out later. for this reason, don't punish in anger. tell your child that you will need to think about what she should do to learn her lesson, and give yourself time to cool down and think of something that fits the crime. if she is rude to a friend's mother, you could cancel her next playdate, making sure she is there to hear you tell the other mother on the phone that you are not allowing her to go. if she is rude to your parents, you can temporarily take away something they do for her that she enjoys.

you work very hard to give your daughter a comfortable and happy life; she is not too young to realize that she, too, needs to contribute to making her family loving and happy. she has the power to take away from that happiness, and if she uses it, then she should feel the pinch by losing a little something that she enjoys.

good luck, Mom!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    remain calm. don't yell. ever. this is super hard but very important.
    explain ahead of time what the consequences of rude behavior will be. when she crosses the line, calmly explain that this is unacceptable, and remind her of the consequence she just chose. remind her often that she chooses the consequences she will experience. make sure to reward the good behavior just as vigorously as you respond to the bad.
    be consistent. 100% immovable, solid as a rock. if you tell her that mouthing off means no friends' house visitation for a week, be prepared to follow through, even through tears, apologies, whatever.
    it will take a while, and she will test the boundaries, but DO NOT CAVE.

This is great advice. The only thing I would add is to put it in writing and have her sign it. Then you can say this is what we agreed to.

My thoughts on hormones is that yes we women have them but we should never use them as an excuse to be rude or behave badly.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Puberty. SHUDDER!!! I remember going through that with my daughter. The first time in my life I ever hated my daughter. We both got through it though (don't ask me how). I'm a single mom too and I think that was the worse time of my life. Nobody warned me about puberty. :frown: Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • rosemarymint
    Options
    This is the first chance I've had to get back on MFP and read all of your great advice. The day after "the incident at the friends house" she was called and invited to sleep over (same friend) My daughter asked me if she could go and I said "no". She said she had appologised to the mom and I said "NO" ...but mom I said I was sorry..."YOU ARE NOT GOING" she took off into her room to sulk for a while, but got over it. It must be the puberty thing, because she is not a bad kid, just every once in a while she really lets it rip.

Thank you all for the great tips, I will be putting some of them to work for me next time I need them.