Putting it Together

Options
I’m 59- 5’3”-126lbs....and although not extremely overweight (trying to get down to 118-120) I am definitely not fit.
I joined the Y and have been doing cardio on the stationary bike but I seem to get exhausted after 30 minutes.... I usually do a yoga class right after. Is this common? Will I be able to do more? I just feel so weak

Replies

• GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    30 minutes is great!!! I hate to break it to you but you aren't a spring chicken.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Options
    I don't think I could do 30 minutes on a bike. High 5 to you!
    But if you stick with it for sure it will get easier.
  • evergreenlakegirl
    Options
    30 minutes is great!!! I hate to break it to you but you aren't a spring chicken.
    :) not a spring chicken but still too young to just give up- 😊
    And thank you GOT-_obsessed.... some days I just feel defeated....
    Know I’ll never have my 20 year old body again- but I can dream 😂
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    It will get easier. Really <3
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Options
    :) not a spring chicken but still too young to just give up- 😊
    And thank you GOT-_obsessed.... some days I just feel defeated....
    Know I’ll never have my 20 year old body again- but I can dream 😂

Absolutely! Don't you dare give up.

And you are doing a lot more than so many people your (and my) age are. You are on the right track.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Give your body time - it will adapt. 30 minutes is good. With time you can stretch your endurance to whatever goal you want that’s reasonable. You won’t be able to run the same pace you might have at 20, but you can certainly go...
    I’m 57. My “standard” run is 3-4 miles. I’ll do long runs up to 10 miles sometimes even when not training for an event. Normal bike rides are 20-30 miles.
    So you just keep chugging along. Your fitness will build. The daily workouts will get easier. Hard workouts are hard at any age.
  • evergreenlakegirl
    Options
    Thanks Gary.....
    I’m meeting with a trainer soon so I can learn how to use the weight equipment at the Y ....
    My knees are so weak from doing squats when working out a few years ago and it limits me
    GOT_obsessed ⭕️⭕️
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Options
    Oh I am so glad to hear you will get some weight training in! Very wise of you.
    Please keep us posted!

Best of luck meeting your goals.
  • evergreenlakegirl
    Options
    Oh I am so glad to hear you will get some weight training in! Very wise of you.
    Please keep us posted!

Best of luck meeting your goals.

Thanks... will do
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    I’m 59- 5’3”-126lbs....and although not extremely overweight (trying to get down to 118-120) I am definitely not fit.
    I joined the Y and have been doing cardio on the stationary bike but I seem to get exhausted after 30 minutes.... I usually do a yoga class right after. Is this common? Will I be able to do more? I just feel so weak

Stick with it, and you'll improve. I wasn't active at all until my mid-40s, and just gradually increased activity. Now, at 62, I can do muchMuch more than I could then, in terms of both strength and endurance . . . effectively, it's almost like being younger. ;)

When I was taking two classes in a row for a while (spin followed by kettlebell), I found I did better in the 2nd class, and recovered better overall, if I had a small snack of something carb-y in between the 2 classes. Maybe it was more psychological than physical, but one of those little packets of drinkable just-apples applesauce was enough to perk me up. If you're feeling depleted after the bike before yoga, or after the yoga, something like that might be worth a try.

Stay the course: Your strength and endurance will improve. Sometimes it's hard to see that it's happening, because the process is so gradual. But if you stick with it, you'll realize in a few weeks/months that things that used to be hard are getting easier, or that you're able to go harder at them for the same amount of time - things like that.

I'm not a Spring chicken either, but, over time, this chicken has been feeling an awful lot Springier. ;)
  • evergreenlakegirl
    Options
    Ann - thanks for the advise and encouragement! It’s good to know that my Strength will build over time..... since I’ve been mostly sedentary the last few years, even going up and down stairs felt laborious..... this is when I realized that if I don’t get moving it’ll get worse.... happy to know that women our age group can still get fit....😊⭕️