Frustrated and Disheartened

Options
For the past two months or so, I have started doing yoga almost every day, have been watching what I eat and, while I may not log calories every day, have been very cognizant, yet I am still gaining weight. Now, about 6 weeks ago I did stop breastfeeding and so I did anticipate some slowing of metabolism but this is so frustrating. And, while I am much stronger from the yoga, I haven’t lost any fat. Maybe I should add walking to my regimen or alternate days of walking and yoga? I have a 13 1/2 month old so getting out and walking can be challenging.

Any tips?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    Breastfeeding earns the right to consume an additional 500 calories per day. If you've stopped breastfeeding, you should also reduce your food intake by 500 each day. That's 1 pound per week you could be losing.

More like 20 cal/oz. Assuming OP didn’t cut her babe off cold turkey and rather weaned him/her down, the abrupt change in calories out won’t be quite so dramatic.

But OP says she is still gaining weight, which sounds like this has been an issue for a while -- no mention of "dramatic." Could have been gaining weight after since the weaning process or introduction of solid foods began.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Start weighing and logging everything. You will be amazed at how off the mark you were when you were “very cognizant”. And that’s not a dig at you. It’s just very common to have no idea how much you’re actually eating til you weigh it and log it. I am 100% guilty of it myself.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Echoing the other comments - you need to record EVERYTHING you eat and drink. I made the mistake of thinking that because I was exercising I could eat the extra chocolate/sweets/bread etc but in reality my 'workout' was only burning a couple of hundred calories extra so I wasn't in a calorie deficit.

I breastfed all my children for between 9 and 13 months and never found that it helped me to lose weight! What DID Help was walking very briskly for 3 miles a day pushing a big Silver Cross style pram (with the first one!) . With second and third babies I had one or more toddlers in tow so couldn't walk as fast so weight loss took longer.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    h487j62yjrjt.jpg