New and Over 60 years old, need Keto buddies

Options
Hi...I am new to Keto. I started at 163lbs, and have lost 2 lbs in a week. My goal is to get to 125lbs and I am 5’6” tall. Trying to figure out the right amount of carbs, protein and fats needed. I am currently doing 15 g carbs, 75 g protein, and 93 g of fat. My BMR is 26. 1200 calories a day. I have MyFitnessPal and I am logging each day of food intake and my exercise. I have started this week to add to my current exercise of walking 45 minutes some additional floor exercises. I have ordered some Keto vitamins, drinking water with electrolytes. Does anyone have any tips or advice? I don’t drink anything with caffeine since I am super sensitive to caffeine. I am looking forward to the journey. Love to hear your success stories, and what works for you.

Replies

• flthackrey0608
    flthackrey0608 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started with Keto on 9/4 and can tell you that I am enjoying the journey. I have lost about 10 pounds in the 13 days and got on Fitness Pal for the encouragement and accountability. I have you beat with age, I am 71 years old, but you have me beat in the weight department because I have more to lose. What I did was set my goals as 5% carbs, 65 % fat and 30 % protein on here and am going to try to see how this works with the weight loss. I also used the online keto calculator and it set my calories at 1500 so that it what I entered in here. Good luck and lets keep in touch.
  • angailor
    angailor Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Fithackrey0608 you have done very well! I am impressed. I started my additional exercises today. Slowly will have to increase the repetitions because I am not in shape. Are you exercising in addition to the keto plan? If so how much exercising are you doing each day? Just wondering how much I need to work up to on mine. Thank you for the tips. I did the online calcultor and it recommended 1271 calories for me. I just rounded it down on the daily caloric intake. Good luck to you...but sounds like your doing fabulous. You should be very proud of the 13 pound loss. That really makes you want to stick to it. Great job!
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

Over 60 but not on Ketto, don't know much about Keto
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I think you may be doing many unnecessary things and trying to do some impossible or at least very difficult and unnecessary things. At 161 pounds, you can expect to lose up to a pound per week on average. To lose weight, you just have to eat a little less than you burn, you can do it anyway you like, but for real, consistently an for a long time. 1200 calories is just MFP's minimum, which every woman gets if she picks a too aggressive weightloss rate. It may be too little to be able sto stick to for very long, for someone of your height and weight.

What works for me, is purging misconceptions. And that is hard, because it's misconceptions' nature to feel like the truth.
  • cowgirl2470
    cowgirl2470 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started with Keto on 9/4 and can tell you that I am enjoying the journey. I have lost about 10 pounds in the 13 days and got on Fitness Pal for the encouragement and accountability. I have you beat with age, I am 71 years old, but you have me beat in the weight department because I have more to lose. What I did was set my goals as 5% carbs, 65 % fat and 30 % protein on here and am going to try to see how this works with the weight loss. I also used the online keto calculator and it set my calories at 1500 so that it what I entered in here. Good luck and lets keep in touch.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    angailor wrote: »
    Fithackrey0608 you have done very well! I am impressed. I started my additional exercises today. Slowly will have to increase the repetitions because I am not in shape. Are you exercising in addition to the keto plan? If so how much exercising are you doing each day? Just wondering how much I need to work up to on mine. Thank you for the tips. I did the online calcultor and it recommended 1271 calories for me. I just rounded it down on the daily caloric intake. Good luck to you...but sounds like your doing fabulous. You should be very proud of the 13 pound loss. That really makes you want to stick to it. Great job!

Ooo: I know the answer to this one (even though I don't do keto . . . but I am 62, and started being active late-ish, in my mid-40s, then lost from obese to normal weight more recently).

How much exercising? However much is fun, energizing, and fits into your life without causing poor life balance (i.e., still gives enough time and energy for your family, work, friends, non-exercise hobbies, chores, and any other commitments that are vital to you being you).

I know that sounds facile, but I think it's true: The actual "how much time" answer is personal and individual.

A good thing to work up to gradually, if your life balance allows, is the mainstream recommendation of 150 minutes of moderate-intensity or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity weekly, plus 2 weekly sessions of strength training. (One example source: https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/dcpc/prevention/policies_practices/physical_activity/guidelines.htm ). If you have a health condition, it would also make sense to see what mainstream support organizations for that condition say.

If you're having fun, and it fits into your life happily, you can do more, of course. These days, at least in season, I row on water 4 days a week for an hour or so, go to 2 spin classes, and throw in some other random things occasionally like bike riding, stretching/yoga, weight work, etc. (I don't strength train enough, though the rowing involves some strength activity.)

For weight loss, exercise is - believe it or not - optional. It's a good plan to exercise, but it's calorie intake versus calorie expenditure that determines weight loss. (Keto helps some people maintain a calorie deficit with fewer cravings or appetite issues, but doesn't work that way for everyone.) By exercising, you can eat more and lose at the same healthy rate, making the process seem more do-able. Also, exercise, especially strength exercise, helps us retain as much existing muscle as possible while losing fat, and that's a good thing, since muscle is hard/slow to rebuild at our age, but so important to our independence and well-being.

Best wishes for your success at weight management, nutrition, and fitness improvement - I often say it's:

Appropriate calories for weight management
    +
    A well-rounded, balanced way of eating for nutrition
    +
    Exercise for fitness
    =
    Best odds of long term good health!
  • angailor
    angailor Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77, thank you for your advice and sharing your experience. I am having trouble getting in enough fat, and calories needed throughout the day. I am not hungry and have been eating two meals rather than three because that leaves me feeling quite full. I do drink quite a bit of water with electrolytes. I think I will incorporate some light weights to start with my exercises, and build up with heavier weights as I go. I am pretty active, love doing yardwork, and keep a pretty busy schedule. Thank you again for your inout...very much appreciated.
  • LowcarbLondoner
    Options
    Angailor, have you considered joining one of the groups on MFP? I have been following a lower carb/Keto WOE (Way Of Eating) for over 18 months and have lost 36 pounds. I'm not strict keto (20g net carbs), I generally eat 40g of carbs per day, but have found this way of losing weight very enjoyable. I used to be obsessed with working out at the gym, but my gym closed down just as I started on my new eating regime. The only exercise I do now, in addition to gardening/cleaning, is a daily walk to the butchers or supermarket.

I would definitely suggest that you check out the LOW CARB DAILY Forum, or something similar. You will get lots of support & great info