Vitimin D for weight loss?

Options
Has anyone heard about any studies about taking vitimin D3 to improve weight loss or had any success/failure with taking this to help improve weight loss?

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I take Vitamin D because I was diagnosed with a deficiency. Deficiency can lead to depression, exhaustion, and weight gain. My doc put me on high powered supplements because my level was half of the lowest level of normal when she did the blood test. I lost 11 pounds really fast on the high powered supplements. I was also dieting and exercising, it just amped up my weight loss. Now I'm on maintenance and take only 1000 units per day plus my calcium supplement that contains 400 units. The weight loss slowed down when I wasn't taking the prescription Vit D but my metabolism is working more efficiently and I'm not feeling as tired.
    You might ask your doc to order a Vitamin D level and see if you need supplements.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I take Vitamin D for my depression, and the lack of sun that comes to Alantic Canada in the winter times. I never heard of it as a weight loss...but I will keep readin' this forum for answers :)
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I don't think it really works as a weight loss supplement but a deficiency can cause weight to be harder to lose. I was struggling before the deficiency was diagnosed.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    being ridiculo exhausted lately (11 hours of sleep a day or i can t drag self out of bed) and I just started taking vit D with folic acid and calcium magnesium... i really hope it makes me feel better... sleeping so much makes me really innefficient.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have just bought some Vitamin D3 3000iu soft gel, one per day. I am prescribed Accrete, 600 mg calcium (as calcium carbonate 1500 mg) and 10 micrograms of colecalciferol (equivalent to 400 IU vitamin D3). I live in the north east of England and am elderly. I am out doors extremely little. I don't think I'd be taking to much Vi' D3 but I'd appreciate advice on this dosage,
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,992 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    MissyCHF wrote: »
    I have just bought some Vitamin D3 3000iu soft gel, one per day. I am prescribed Accrete, 600 mg calcium (as calcium carbonate 1500 mg) and 10 micrograms of colecalciferol (equivalent to 400 IU vitamin D3). I live in the north east of England and am elderly. I am out doors extremely little. I don't think I'd be taking to much Vi' D3 but I'd appreciate advice on this dosage,

Call the doctor about this. Your individual needs may be more or less than general recommendation.

I found this online from your NHS:

What happens if I take too much vitamin D?

Taking too many vitamin D supplements over a long period of time can cause too much calcium to build up in the body (hypercalcaemia). This can weaken the bones and damage the kidneys and the heart.

If you choose to take vitamin D supplements, 10mcg a day will be enough for most people.

Don't take more than 100mcg of vitamin D a day as it could be harmful. This applies to adults, including pregnant and breastfeeding women and the elderly, and children aged 11-17 years.

Children aged 1-10 years shouldn't have more than 50mcg a day. Infants under 12 months shouldn't have more than 25mcg a day.

Some people have medical conditions that mean they may not be able to safely take as much. If in doubt, you should consult your doctor.

If your doctor has recommended you take a different amount of vitamin D, you should follow their advice.

Your body doesn't make too much vitamin D from sun exposure, but always remember to cover up or protect your skin if you're out in the sun for long periods to reduce the risk of skin damage and skin cancer.

Page last reviewed: 03/03/2017
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/

This is online from our NIH:
    Life Stage Recommended Amount
    Birth to 12 months 400 IU
    Children 1-13 years 600 IU
    Teens 14-18 years 600 IU
    Adults 19-70 years 600 IU
    Adults 71 years and older 800 IU
    Pregnant and breastfeeding women 600 IU
    https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-Consumer/

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D should be taken along vitamin K2 for best absorbtion I was told
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If you're deficient in Vitamin D, supplementing it could be beneficial to your health.

If you're not deficient in Vitamin D, supplementing it will do nothing helpful or beneficial.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I take a vitamin D supplement along with calcium (per doctor's instructions) as part of my osteoporosis treatment. I've been doing this for over 20 years (hereditary early onset) and it sure hasn't made any difference in my weight issues. Just my own experience, ymmv.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    Options
    MissyCHF wrote: »

I'm near Boston, so south of you, and get out in the sun more. My doctor recommended 2,000 iu for me. I don't think you're taking too much but best to check with your doctor next time you're there.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,314 Member
    Options
    There's a potential for vitamin D deficiency to increase risks for low mood or fatigue, either of which can result in a less vigorous activity level (obvious or subtle). Less vigorous activity level always results in lower calorie burn, which - if food intake isn't equally reduced - results in weight gain or slowed loss.

I'm not talking about running marathons vs. not running marathons, I'm talking about just dragging through home life, chores, hobbies, etc., versus going about them more energetically; sitting more, moving less; sleeping more; etc.. It can make in the hundreds of calories a day difference, potentially.

Get a blood test to see if you're deficient. If you're not, supplementing won't do anything useful, and could be harmful (waste of $$, if nothing else).
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Many thanks to you all, I will check with my doctor. I tend to get low moods rather than clinical depression, this is why I thought Vitamin D3 might help.
    Again, thank you.