Eating when Hungry

Options
So this is the complete opposite of calorie counting which is what this site is about, but has anyone started to find calorie counting stressful at all? IDK how I feel about it anymore, so with these new eating habits under my belt, has anyone tried just letting their body tell them when they're hungry and just making good decisions?

Just wondering, been trying it out this week and going to see if I loose anything, thanks for reading.

Replies

• Bmoviemama
    Options
    For me keeping track keeps me in check!
  • daniey89
    daniey89 Posts: 23
    Options
    Hey! I know what you mean. Sometimes I can manage with the calories that I am allowed for the day and other times I am still so hungry so I will go over my calorie intake but only with healthy foods that I know are going to hit the spot. I haven't noticed a big change by doing this. I also find though that if you eat wholesome nutritious filling foods througout the day I am least likely to be hungry later on. Hope that kinda helps :)
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I like counting calories because I feel like i sometimes mistake cravings for hunger
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    If you trust your body & think you can do it, then go ahead and give it a go. I think most of us log our food because we either cannot trust ourselves to know when we are truly hungry vs emotional eating, and plus, at least for me, I am working on trying to eat better quality foods. Course, maybe you just need a mental break from it too. Either way, it's not wrong to quit the logging if you feel like giving it a try. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    I like counting calories because I feel like i sometimes mistake cravings for hunger

Same with me. Also, since I've started logging in my calories, I eat less sometimes. It's a hassle trying to log everything in!
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Well.... I reached my original goal a couple of months ago and kept on losing. Even after I was happy with my weight I had trouble STOPPING myself from continuing losing weight. At 14 lbs less than my original goal I realized that it was the stress from tracking that kept me from eating enough to stop losing. I didn't like seeing the calorie numbers go up and up. So I decided to stop tracking. I haven't tracked for a week and a half now and have maintained the weight I was at the time that I stopped tracking. So... I think it's a good thing to do once you reach you reach your goal weight. Just keep track of your weight and if you go up then start tracking again before it gets out of hand. That's my plan, anyways.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I dont find it stressful at all....I actually find it to be a learning experience. I think once you log for a while you start to know what choices to make that will fit in with your goals and then you dont have to be as worried about it. I log as I go and sometimes at the end of the day because I already kind of know where I am at. :-0
  • vass78
    vass78 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I seems to help for me also, but I find it tedious! On the other hand, I find that I am cutting down my portions significantly. Doesn't it seem like 3 oz of chicken is hardly enough for dinner? I just feel hungry all the time! I think I will stop tracking once I have an idea of what a portion size should be and what I really need to be eating to keep my caloric count under 1,500 calories a day.
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Great post...

I think if we all ate when we were hungry we wouldn't end up fighting the rollercoaster that is weight loss...I think people confuse eating when they are hungry with going all out and pigging out...We have been brainwashed by the weight loss industry and our looks obsessed culture with believing we can't ever trust our bodies...
    When I want a piece of cake, I eat a piece of cake.
    Because if I don't, I obsess and obsess and either binge on that cake on day or another or worse...End up believing I am not even worth it...
    Geneen Roth has written many books on this subject...She really nails it down.
    Good luck!
    E
  • Amyding115
    Amyding115 Posts: 120
    Options
    Counting is good for checks and balances. If you don't want to track that's up to you. But if you hit a week where you don't lose, you have nothing to look back on and see where things may have gone wrong. Eating when you are hungry is an easy enough concept and if you go that way I hope it works for you. I think where the problem might lie, at least with me, is that I don't know how to stop once I'm not hungry.
  • lindsaystory
    lindsaystory Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For me keeping track keeps me in check!

Absolutely, same here. (: No problems yet...plus once a week or so I reward myself with a nice less than healthy, but hearty meal since I work out 6-7 days a week as well.
  • luckyandme
    luckyandme Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think it is fine if you are the type of person who can do it. I can't. Otherwise I wouldn't be where I am. For me this site is not stressful rather it has been very helpful for me but we are all different and for some I could see how counting calories like we do here could be stressful. It's helping me to really see what I am putting into my body both good/bad as well as how much water I'm drinking and because it allows us to chart drinks and such I log sodas everything so if I go over my calories I can see where I can make cuts. I don't need 3 sodas a day. That is an easy cut. Or Hershey kisses....1-5 is ok but sometimes you start eating them and loss track and end up eating more then you really wanted to. Here by logging it I can see all of that. By tracking my exercise I find I'm more motivated to go to the gym. For me this site really has helped motivate me.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    all good input and great advice. I lost 20pounds before myfitnesspal, then the rest on myfitnesspal, maybe because of my plateau I decided to go back to my original method and if that doesn't work back to calorie counting.
  • MJStory
    MJStory Posts: 42
    Options
    Eating when hungry is a good thing, unless you're overeating when you do.

I have the blessing or curse of being a hypoglycemic. That means that my pancreas overreacts to glucose by manufacturing excessive levels of insulin. If I eat primary sugars (sugar, syrup, candy, honey, fruit juice, or any beverage made with sugar) without backing it up with protein or fat, my insulin will start pumping and continue to the point of me passing out. I have to eat if I'm hungry, or my blood glucose will drop dangerously. I've trained myself to eat smell, frequent meals that limits or excludes sugar content.

There are times I feel a little shaky, or forgetful, especially when I'm ill. That means that I need to eat "right now" or I'll pass out. This can also be triggered by a high stress level, even when I'm eating normally. When I have to eat right now, sometimes I've been near passing out, and have to eat sugars to use up the insulin, which, in turn, stimulates more insulin, so I end up overeating to balance my body's blood sugar; then I have to eat almost constantly after the incident for about three days to normalize things. Unfortunately, this has put me through cycles of weight gain, followed by careful dieting.

Talk about stress, this is my life: My husband has badgered me for years about anything & everything he can think of, from money to meals. We've had severe financial problems the last several years since I became disabled. We're losing our house, and I'me divorcing my husband. I can't afford to move out of our house until our bankruptcy is completed. No stress there! To avoid stressful cycles, I've trained myself to analyze any situation that most people would find beyond tolerating, and I form an action plan, and take whatever steps to avoid severe stress and solve the problem; if I don't let myself get stressed out, I can function just fine. People I've worked with have called me "unflappable" when things get dicey at work because of my focus on the problem with the goal to find steps to a solution.

In current days, the hypoglycemia diagnosis is called "pre-diabetic", but I've had this all of my life, my mother had it for life, and my son has it, also. I'm a senior citizen, and I'm still just hypoglycemic, not diabetic, which is the supposed end result of hypoglycemia: yes, we do exist! This MFP website has made it possible to easily track my eating, and it makes me more responsible with my meals so I can lead a more normal life.