Anyone here just ignore macros & focus only on calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Calories first and foremost, then try and keep an eye on Protein, Fats and Carbs in that area.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    In a year of losing and 18 months of maintaining I've only ever looked at my macros out of curiosity. That's not to say I haven't played around with the kind of foods I eat, but I wouldn't say it was anything approaching purposeful or scientific. More like "have butter on your toast and see if that feels better."
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I focus on what matters.

Calories first, ensure I get enough protein to defend against muscle loss, and ensure I get enough carbs to fuel workouts.
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am concentrating solely on calories. It would be too much work to try to deal with "ooh, this food has this kind of nutrient, and that food has that kind of nutrient, so I should only be eating that kind of food." The only caveat to that is protein, which I will go to so I don't get hungry. But also, I naturally enjoy eating fruits and veggies, and don't eat a lot of sweets.
  • PloddingTurtle
    PloddingTurtle Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Typically, calories only. But my dietitian suggested I up my protein count at breakfast and then journal its effect on my satiety and cravings. I soon noticed a correlation on days where my breakfast protein is low and impulse snacking in the evening, whereas on days where my breakfast protein is in the high teens or 20s, I have a reduced occurrence of evening snack attacks. It has been an interesting experiment for me.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    In addition to calories I only looked at sodium at the beginning of my weight loss because my blood pressure was high. But low and behold as I lost weight the blood pressure dropped significantly so now I look only at calories.