Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should you exercise when you're sick?

Options
Do you workout even though you're sick or do you go lighter or stop until you feel better?

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    depends.
    somedays i do somedays i don't
    some illness i do, some illness i don't

also, how long have been sick because i get squirrely after awhile
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Depends on the sickness and the level of sickness.

I will avoid going to the gym, however, as I don't appreciate it when others share their sick, so I don't want to be that person, either.

Otherwise, if I'm feeling up to it, yes, I will workout. If I don't or I'm just wiped out, I don't and get some extra rest.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Yep as others have said already, depends on how sick - if it's a cold I'd still workout but if something worse then rest and recover.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    How exhausted am I? Honestly that's my main criteria. If I try to push through when I feel wiped, I just end up worse, so I take that as a sign I need the extra rest.
  • Howard_M_Burgerz
    Howard_M_Burgerz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanx to everyone that has responded so far. Getting a feel for the trend line. I didn't want to muddy the waters with stipulations. I'm seeing exactly what I was hoping for. I'll leave it up and see if others wade in. Thanx again everyone.
  • alexa0ne
    alexa0ne Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't it is good for your health to do a workout when you're sick. For me, I will wait until I feel better before going back to doing cardio exercise.
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    If you're contagious, dont go to the gym, thats just rude to other people. Except for that I think it depends on the illness. If you feel like you can exercise (without taking pills before hand) I dont see why not. My colds/headaches often get better if I go for a walk even if I cannot do lifting or running
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    As with all things, its a case of, listen to your body. Then know when you are thinking of making excuses too. I whole heartedly agree with the coment, don't share contagions, please keep something like that to yourself because there may be others about for whom your mild contagion may be something much more serious.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Depends on the sickness. If it's just a head cold then yes. I had a chest thing a while back and I did my strength workouts but I didn't run. Anything like a fever or stomach bug that makes me feel run-down, umm no way, I'm not doing anything.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Above the neck, I'll go out and ride anyway. In my lungs, it's rest days until I'm over it.

This sums it up nicely. Similar to the difference between sore and pain. Soreness is a wonderful feeling of building and growing. Pain is your body telling you to stop, rest, and heal up.

There is no point to training while sick and you often end up doing more harm than good.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the sickness and the exercise.
    Generally I think rest and listening to your body during an illness is more important than exercise. If you feel up to taking a short walk or something mild that is probably fine. Pushing yourself to do a HIIT workout or run until you pass out is probably too much. If you are contagious then you should stay out of the shared gym until you are not.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    If I recall correctly (sadly I can’t grab a source), the quote is “Above the chest, stop and rest,” especially for a fever. (Actually, the cutoff is your neck, but “chest” allows for a better rhyme). General aches, either be gentle or press on depending on pain level. Either way, don’t do a workout requiring being in public if you think you’re contagious.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Depends on the sick...if it's just a little case of the sniffles, no biggie...but I rarely get that. I'm well most of the time and when I get sick it tends to be pretty bad so I typically rest and recover as to not prolong the illness.
  • Liana_Ish
    Liana_Ish Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I’m currently sick so I have avoided the gym this whole week 😌 Can’t wait to get back